PDA

View Full Version : Congetive Heart Failure

mumof3
10-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know anything about this? My 5 year old bichion was just diagnosed with this. We tooke her in for an xray because we figured she developed another stone.......which she has! They used the large xray/film to take the xray and they discovered that her heart is enlarged and that she has fluid build up. So they have put her on meds and said that it was caught early enough where she will live a normal life. She will have to be on meds for the rest of her life! We are devasted and we are hoping she will still live to a ripe old age. She showed no symptoms. That is why Im finding this odd! Anyone know anything about this please let us know! We just want her to be happy and comfortable as well as live a long life!

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Talk to grumpy, his dog was just diagnosed with something similar. I ALSO know that you'll want to make sure your dog does not do any hard core playing.

What I do know of heart issues (its a big problem with my breed), they can show absolutely ZERO symptoms and be out running and playing one day and just drop dead. I also know it can be genetic. And I know that food and vits/herbs can help make is a bit stronger.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/departments/csp/cardiology/brochures/Congestive%20Heart%20Failure.pdf

That is a pretty good brochure /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh, and Im pretty sure Omega 3 is also good for the heart.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/a-matter-of-the-heart-congestive-heart-failure/page1.aspx

Also, what do you feed her? You may need to change her diet.

I'm sure with good home care and communication with the vet, she'll be fine /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 12:15 AM
As far as diuretics go, you can also add cranberry pills to her diet (you too grumpy) and put a bit of lemon juice in the water.

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/CongestiveHeartFailureinDog.html

GRUMPY
10-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Yes I'm going through the same thing now with Millie and my last dog died of a massive heart attack. (Check the other thread on here about vitamins)We still do everything we did before we found out but we are more observant, ie. our walks are taking much longer as we are going slower and taking breaks so that she can catch her breath and not do it in a mad dash which is her preference. In some ways its a blessing to find out about the condition because you appreciate every day you have with them a whole lot more than you would have.

mumof3
10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Right now they have her on a special canned diet to break down the stone she has! This is the second time. The 1st time they did surgery becasue it was to big but this time they figure they can dissole it with food and antibiotics! Poor dog! I tell you she has been through so much!

Wally
10-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I have a little bichon too. They are such a great breed. He's five years old now too, and started developing some health issues a few months ago. The meds he's on have started affecting some of his organs, which really sucks. But if I take him off them he goes into convulsions. We're just taking it day by day, spending as much time as we can together.

mumof3
10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Where did you get him! Im just wondering if he's from the same litter!

Wally
10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
he was a gift from my folks, I think they got him from a place near sudbury...some angel kennels or something like that.

mumof3
10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
She's from Sudbury to but from Endeavour Kennels!

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I would also contact the breeder about this, because like I said it can be a genetic issue.

Wally
10-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah, when my guy started getting sick I tried to get a hold of the breeder but the number I had was no longer listed and I couldn't find any listing for that kennel.

mumof3
10-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I have contacted the breeder and she said she will check her book and let other people who have one from the same litter aware! She also told me that both of her parents are still around with no problems! The only good news was that other bichions with the same condition lived well into their 20s.

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
It is manageable, but if she doesn't currently do heart testing, she really should add that to the list....and not breed those with heart problems.

mumof3
10-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree but I just found out that she breeds them very young! Like when their 2 because she told me that Maggie's mom is 7 so she would have had to breed her at 2 and we were told that they cant detect this till age 5?
Anyways I've been hearing that this is not a death sentence, that she will probably live a full life and that it is manageable so this really brightened my day! We love her! I always call them my other kids!

GRUMPY
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I've followed DogsRules advice in the vitamins threads. A heads up would be not to give your dog anything else when its time for her medicine ie. herbs as sometimes they've been known to have a bad reaction.

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 09:55 PM
2 is actually the recommended age to breed a female. No sooner then 2 and no later then 6.

Yes, some herbs can react to different medications, and is why you should always research for yourself. Probiotics are simply good bacteria (no herbs) typically found in things like yogurt. Omega 3 is just fish oil.

If you'd like the # to a good holisitic dr, let me know and I can give it to you and you can ask them (not sure if there would be a telephone consult fee or not).

mumof3
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Id appreciate the number. I do see a naturopath doctor myself and I was going to also consult with her. I dont mind if I have to pay! Will do everything possible for this not to get progressively worse!

DogsRule
10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Ok, this is a long distance #, there are no vets who are holistic near you, but I do know this office is really good.

1 (780) 436-4944

ETA: Just tell them you are calling from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario and were wondering what supplements/vitamins you can give your dog. Also let them know what medication she is on and how much. I'm sorry, I couldn't find a 1 (800) #.

GRUMPY
10-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I found that if you mix the Probiotics right in the food it goes down good where as if I just sprinkle it on she won't est eat and she loves the Omega3 if I break it open and squeeze it out on her food (anything that fishy is great by her).

DogsRule
10-12-2007, 12:06 AM
lol ya, I give my dogs cranberry pills, omega 3,6,9, and probiotics and one of my males gets prostate pills to keep him nice n small (prostate wise). I just throw the pills in there, put ketchup over them and then the oil and my dogs eat it right up haha. But mine are pigs!

OH, I also bought some mangosteen pills today in hopes that it will help my females skin.

GRUMPY
10-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Reminds me of my old Beagle all I had to do was toss him the pill (any pill) and it was gone . The one I have now has the attitude of "I'm not eating that and you can't make me!!!"

mumof3
10-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone! We went to the vet today and she assured us that it is not a severe case and we caught it early enough where it is manageable! We also noticed a huge diffrence in her since she started her meds. She is once again our old Maggie, she is playing and being her sociable self again!
I think she was so withdrawn because of her ear infection and the gall stone must have been painful also. Now with the antibiotics her urine is clear again!
I guess we should be thank-full that she had to be xrayed for stones otherwise we may not have caught it till it was to late!

DogsRule
10-12-2007, 10:34 PM
oh ya, another thing with antibiotics, the only prob with them is it takes out ALL the good bacteria AND bad. So, the probiotics help to replace all the good in the body.

bgrant
10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Our border collie was diagnosed with a heart problem 10 years ago and we just have to watch he doesn't get over-exerted because he can just drop dead. Try telling that to a border collie. Anyway, he is 13 now and still kicking. The only thing that I notice is that he pants a lot during the night and I always think one day I will wake up and he will have died in his sleep. But he has now lived a good long life compared to what we thought 10 years ago!

We give him a supplement daily (our husky gets one too) of a Salmon Fish Oil pill for heart health and shiny coat.