PDA

View Full Version : Duragesic Patch

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Ok so went to the doctor and I'm on a urgent list for a out of town surgery but......in the mean time he has put me on a Duragesic patch. Here's my question. I put it on yesterday, but this morning when I woke up it was coming off. Not sticking very well I guess you can say. Is there a trick to these things to make them stick better? One patch is to last 72 hours. I'm only to change it every 72 hours.

someguy
10-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Go buy band aids that are bigger than the patch and water proof and apply on top of it. Also watch if you feel diszzy go to the doc immediately as these at times will lower your blood pressure

MaO3
10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Duct-Tape??? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

You know, If they can't find ya handsome, at least they can find ya handy!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

No really, you might have to stick down the sides with medical tape. Before you put on the next one, make sure that you don't have any body lotion on or anything like that. You also might change the location for next time too.

Light_Keeper
10-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Are they working for you

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Actually It's Just Me my blood pressure is so high right now they are worried I'm going to have a heart attack so they doubled my blood pressure medication to help bring it down. But thank you for the tip. I will still be aware of this as with the double dose you just never know.
I might have to try the band aid thing. Thanks

Your right Ma03 I should use duck tape. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif Apparently you can't even wash the skin with soap before applying so I made sure not to have any lotions or powder etc. on when I applied it. Directions say to only clean area with water before applying.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes it seems to be working fairly well. Was able to come off the morphine and I haven't taken very many percocets either.

Light_Keeper
10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
GREAT /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/purpbanana.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/purpbanana.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/purpbanana.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

SusyQ
10-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Thats our Tipp tough as nails. Seriously hun I'm proud of the way your handling the situation. Things will get better wait you'll see.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks SusyQ, you've helped a lot.

SusyQ
10-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Your welcome and its my pleasure.

Super Gram
10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Keep it up Tippi baby /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif

Light_Keeper
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them
but you always know they are there
Tippi it sounds like you have alot of support. I am so very happy for you.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I do thank you guys!

Jackie B
10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
You might try "Liquid Bandage" around the edges of the patch. It's sort of like crazy glue for the skin. It can be used in place of stitches, or until you can get to the hospital for them, it should hold down a patch no problem.

TREEFROG
10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
When I was on the patch, I used Tegaderm bandages. They come 6 in a box and can be cut to cover whatever size patch you have. They work great and don't come off in the shower. Good luck.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks.
Treefrog you also had problems with getting it to stick? Did it matter where you put it on the body?

Jackie B you can't put anything one the patch because that's where the medication is so I wouldn't get the full benefit of it if I was to put glue on it.

It was also lifting in the middle so just fixing the edges might not work.

ezcomm911
10-18-2007, 02:20 PM
When I was on the nicotine patch, I found I had to rub the area the patch was going with a rubbing alcohol soaked cotton pad, let it dry and then put it on. Worked every time!

TREEFROG
10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, I had that problem. The Tegaderm patch is a large transparent patch that covers the whole thing. You can buy different sizes but I preferred the 4 by 4 3/4 inch because it can be cut to fit depending on your dosage. Different dosages are different sizes.

you can put the patches anywhere you want. I preferred alternating on my upper arms.

Hope you feel better

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ezcomm911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was on the nicotine patch, I found I had to rub the area the patch was going with a rubbing alcohol soaked cotton pad, let it dry and then put it on. Worked every time! </div></div>

Unfortunately you can't use anything but water to clean the area. It has something to do with it being such a high dose pain killer.

ezcomm911
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Well, it was worth a shot!

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I called the pharmacists and told her what had happened and she told me just to take the patch off even tho I've only had it on for 24 hours and flush it down the toilet.

She said to try another one in a different area and said that if it doesn't stick to call her back. So far so good but that's how it started out yesterday. Something happened in my sleep that it started to pop off so I guess I'll have to check it out tomorrow morning to see how it held out this time.

I put it on my chest this time instead of my arm to see if that makes a difference.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
p.s. I have 10 patches. 5 are small (ones I am trying now) but the other 5 are huge 4"x5". Apparently the pharmacy is in the middle of changing brands that's why I got 5 of each. So to cover the large ones with Tegaderm could be very expensive.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ezcomm911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it was worth a shot! </div></div>

Yes it was, thank you!

Chako
10-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Get the tegaderm. They are 12 dollars for 6. Well worth it when you factor in the cost of those patches, and even more importantly, the uselessness of having pain medication that your not getting the proper dosage because its not making proper contact with your skin.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Your right, if for some reason this patch doesn't stick than I will get the Tegaderm.

A*lil*Loopy
10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey Tippi, the Tegaderms work beautifully, I had to use them and they lasted on my skin for a couple of days without problems.
I don't know how small your patches are but the small Tegaderms are available at Shoppers Home Health Care.

Size 2 3/8" x 2 3/4".
Reorder # is 1624W, I buy them by the box though but you can buy them individually, they are $.49 each.
They also have larger sizes but not sure if they keep them in stock.
If you use larger ones and cut them, they can be a pain to put on if you aren't patient. To remove them, you pull a corner away and release, they like to curl up on themselves.

I can give you a couple if you'd like to try them.

tippikitty
10-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Really? Aww...your awesome. I have large patches and small ones because apparently they are switching brands at the pharmacy.

tasma
10-20-2007, 12:13 AM
What about trying an elastic bandage, you know the brown ones you could wrap it right around the patch and your arm.

Lollypop
10-20-2007, 08:07 AM
At work we put the patches on their upper back, closer to the shoulder blades, you might have to get hubby to help you.
Tell him he gets to play dr.

tippikitty
10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lollypop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At work we put the patches on their upper back, closer to the shoulder blades, you might have to get hubby to help you.
Tell him he gets to play dr.
</div></div>

Actually the pharmacist did recommend this area also, only my husband is gone hunting for a week so I might try that next week.

tippikitty
10-20-2007, 10:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tasma5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about trying an elastic bandage, you know the brown ones you could wrap it right around the patch and your arm. </div></div>

Good idea only it wouldn't work when I was in the shower.

This last patch I put on seems to have stayed pretty well. So far so good. Lets hope it stays that way.