PDA

View Full Version : Should College Football Have a Playoff?

GenX
10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
This thread is primarily for Armadillo, who is obviously the resident college football fan/expert around here. But if anyone else is interested to opine, feel free.

So, it seems to me this year more than any other shows just how bad college football needs a playoff system. The parity is just unreal in this, the 'year of the upset'.

I realize it is going to be very difficult to change the current bowl system. There is so much money and tradition wrapped up in the bowl games that they aren't going anywhere soon. But I also believe it is time to seriously consider a playoff format for college football. Let's have teams truly earn their way to big games by an elimination format, or something similar.

Any thoughts?

Add
10-21-2007, 12:41 PM
One big negative for the playoff system is that the games will run longer into the year which would affect a lot of kids grades. (heard that on ESPN this morning)

The playoff system would be alright, but then you'd still get those that complain. The way the system is now, the top 2 play for the national championship through the bcs ranking. Number 3 could be 12-0 but still get shafted and have to settle for a rose bowl. But the problem is, if they adapt a playoff system and take the top 8 teams or top 10, what about the 9-13 positioned teams that have a say 10-2 record which is the same as the 7-8th teams in the standings. They get shafted out of it too. Neither the BCS or playoff system will be perfect int he NCAA, but I much prefer the BCS.

There is no way they're going to be changing anything soon with the hype college football is getting right now. Why try to fix something when it's at it's peak for popularity? Wait a few years to see if it dies down, and then decide whether to kill or help the college football system.

Koss
10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armadillo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One big negative for the playoff system is that the games will run longer into the year which would affect a lot of kids grades. (heard that on ESPN this morning.
</div></div>

Grades?! This is NCAA where grades are predetermined. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Add
10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armadillo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One big negative for the playoff system is that the games will run longer into the year which would affect a lot of kids grades. (heard that on ESPN this morning.
</div></div>

Grades?! This is NCAA where grades are predetermined. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Not always, some of them are actually smart. A lot of top guys get disqualified for having their grades drop and get benched by coaches and not the NCAA. Almost every saturday you hear of a few top players under academic suspension.

10-23-2007, 10:46 PM
it wont happen, I have read quite a few articles on this subject.
It has to be unanimous by every stinkin prez of 1-a school.