PDA

View Full Version : slow/intermittent connectivity

cheeky
10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm having connection issues with Shaw. Slow/intermittent connection. I connected direct to the modem. Still intermittent. I call Shaw. They had me uninstall/reinstall both Winsock and the stack. Still intermittent. According to Shaw this is a problem with my PC as my modem is online. Because I can ping out intermittently, and can surf intermittently, by IP address as well, would this not be a problem on Shaw's end? What would make an intermittent connection a PC issue?

opinionated
10-24-2007, 07:30 PM
When you're having the issue are the lights on the modem still 'online' and normal?? Or are they flashing?

cheeky
10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
All normal. When it slows down and won't connect I ping yahoo.com by URL and by IP. All requests time out. Ping again, I get 50% packet loss. Ping again 0% packet loss. I'm sure it's not my computer because it is "intermittent". For an hour or so this afternoon it was just fine. A few minutes ago it was fine, then all of a sudden I was back to packet loss. To me this is an issue with Shaw or the modem and not my computer. Unless there is something you can think of. Shaw tech support guy that was reading his "trouble shooting guide" really seems to think it's my computer.

Hans
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
I once in a blue while noticed my connections stalls for several seconds, with Shaw.
This is very noticeable when you play online games.
So it looks like it's a Shaw problem, not a problem at my or your end.

opinionated
10-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Does the time of day have any relation to when you're having the problems? Or does it seem totally random?

If you notice it happening around the same time every day then that means that it's probably due to Shaw's services being overloaded during 'primetime' (think of it as internet rush hour).

cheeky
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
No, it's totally random...Shaw seems to think it's still my computer, I have told them it's not because it's intermittent. They keep telling me that my modem is fine, online, nothing unusual in it's history. Then he tells me there have been spikes in the amount downloaded over the last 30 days, over 2 gigs worth...we don't download anything really. My anti-virus updates and runs every night so I'm sure I don't have a virus...to me it's on their end. I should also mention that when I switch computers it is the same on the other, and yes I have made sure that the second computer has a valid IP address. I couldn't get online all morning, so I called to have them check the modem, they said it was online and looked good, but I couldn't connect. Now it's working just fine. I don't know..we'll see what the tech has to say Monday. Thanks for the help.

Dillio
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
From my limited experience with their support if Shaw is telling you it's your machine and it's "fine on their end" then that's what it is.

Do a thorough check for viruses and spyware, there's a good chance it's that. You can go deeper and do a "netstat -an" under the CMD prompt and note what's listed (Make sure all your "known" internet processes are turned off [P2P'ers, Firefox etc]). Go over the IP's, ports and connecting hosts with your shaw techie if you don't know what they mean. They'll tell you if it's abnormal or not. This is the indicator for me to run a more thorough check for viruses and spyware if I see something that is not supposed to be there. "Dropping Packets" can be a number of things but maybe in this situation it's a process that is spiking and sucking your bandwidth (or dropping your connection). I've had the same happen to me in an online game but only when I was using a faulty router (Linksys, pre Cisco). You already checked the connection directly to the modem. Clear your cookies and history, a recent W32 virus I obtined through a torrent needed me to clear my cookies to avoid my connection from dropping.

Hans: The "lag" you are experiencing in online games, are you sure it's not machine power related? Yes, I'd spike or lag too running a 3.0 with 2 gigs of RAM but ever since upgrading to a Quad 2.4 and 4G ram there can be plenty of other players around and very minimal jumping, halting, skipping or lagging occurs. I also always shut down every possible process and service if I'm going to game for a bit online.

EDIT: I see the tech told you about spiking. Further solidifying.

cheeky
10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I understand what you are saying, however, when connecting using a second computer, there was still a connection issue. Modem was online, no connection to the internet.

10-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Blue Terayon modem, or black Motorola modem? If you have a blue one, call in and get it switched, free of charge.

cheeky
10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Blue one! And I'm pretty sure it's the source of the problem! Currently, connection is just fine, hooked the router back up, running smoothly for the last two hours...have my fingers crossed that the connection stays put until the tech visit on Monday, and I hope it goes out between 10-12 when the tech is to be here checking it!

10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm off monday /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cheeky
10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
That's too bad....I haven't seen you in ages.

10-26-2007, 04:22 PM
LOL who are ya?

Hans
10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ollie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From my limited experience with their support if Shaw is telling you it's your machine and it's "fine on their end" then that's what it is.

Do a thorough check for viruses and spyware, there's a good chance it's that. You can go deeper and do a "netstat -an" under the CMD prompt and note what's listed (Make sure all your "known" internet processes are turned off [P2P'ers, Firefox etc]). Go over the IP's, ports and connecting hosts with your shaw techie if you don't know what they mean. They'll tell you if it's abnormal or not. This is the indicator for me to run a more thorough check for viruses and spyware if I see something that is not supposed to be there. "Dropping Packets" can be a number of things but maybe in this situation it's a process that is spiking and sucking your bandwidth (or dropping your connection). I've had the same happen to me in an online game but only when I was using a faulty router (Linksys, pre Cisco). You already checked the connection directly to the modem. Clear your cookies and history, a recent W32 virus I obtined through a torrent needed me to clear my cookies to avoid my connection from dropping.

Hans: The "lag" you are experiencing in online games, are you sure it's not machine power related? Yes, I'd spike or lag too running a 3.0 with 2 gigs of RAM but ever since upgrading to a Quad 2.4 and 4G ram there can be plenty of other players around and very minimal jumping, halting, skipping or lagging occurs. I also always shut down every possible process and service if I'm going to game for a bit online.

EDIT: I see the tech told you about spiking. Further solidifying. </div></div>

It's not my machine. I never experienced this problem until I switched to Shaw.
It's to a point where it, on occasion, disconnects me from the game server after a stall of 30+ seconds or so.
If during a stall I tab to desktop and try a web page, it clearly shows the stall there also.
It's not game or machine related, it's connection related.

cheeky
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Hans..by chance do you live in the west-end?

Dillio
10-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Well that sucks Hans ... all I know is out of all the time I've been with Shaw I've never had an issue like that, other than the time my router was screwed.

Never.

On a side note my Dad used to always complain about his Shaw connection dropping and I tried everything to get his firing on all cylinders, it turned out he had a bad cable that was feeding his line in the house, Shaw had to come and replace the cable (and offered him discounts for past months of "less than optimal" service. Once replaced he was good to go, or "cooking with gas now!!" as he put it.

Shawn
10-27-2007, 10:50 PM
From what you are saying Cheeky it does sound like a Shaw issue... the moment you bypass any routers and try 2 computer and it does the same things usually indicates a problem from the modem back.

The biggest problem is the issue can occur at different points... Most of the time for companies like Shaw and Bell their software is setup to only check the connection between you and their equipment... not their equipment to the internet...

I had 2 outage this summer I found with Bell, told them many times that an entire city was out... they would not do anything about it, after 8 hours of fighting with them they finally checked their equipment and found it was behind the equipment were the modems terminate so they were unable to see any issues because between the modem and their equipment was fine...

Same thing can happen on shaw, it can be from the point were it terminates on the CMTS all the way back to the fibre that a problem can be happening in come cases without them even knowing until they get enough people calling... Hell when I worked there I remember there was several months of slow speeds... ended up someone miss-configured the router in Winnipeg and was choking the Sault of speed...

It all depends on the tech you have any many of them don't have enough knowledge(reading from a script) or access to test different options to figure out the problem, so the simplest thing is to blame the computer...

sniderscott2
10-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I've been finding Shaw stuttering and stopping on my pc as well as my laptop lately.. the lights actually sometimes drop.. completely out of the blue.. I really don't want to waste time with tech support..

Hans
10-28-2007, 06:22 PM
The thing that's kind of annoying with the Motorola from Shaw is the PC/activity light : it's always blinking, even when there's no traffic happening at all.
And all the other 4 lights just stay on green permanently.
I like to see things blinking, as is the case with my router.
Much easier to see when it's stalled, or when something is going on.

Shawn
10-28-2007, 09:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing that's kind of annoying with the Motorola from Shaw is the PC/activity light : it's always blinking, even when there's no traffic happening at all.
</div></div>

Ya, its the SB5101 that does that... the SB5120 does not blink as often... But the SB5101 does show a more realistic use of bandwidth... it blinks a lot because there is a lot of traffic on a cable network...

opinionated
10-29-2007, 01:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PunK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been finding Shaw stuttering and stopping on my pc as well as my laptop lately.. the lights actually sometimes drop.. completely out of the blue.. I really don't want to waste time with tech support.. </div></div>

Sounds like you need a new line dropped from the pole to your house...either that or you have a problematic line somewhere in your house.

A tech can fix that for you.

cheeky
10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, Shaw was here this morning. I now have a Docsis modem and a connection that is a bit faster, but more importantly, online and working! I have not lost connection since the install of the new modem. I have my fingers crossed my connection will remain!

Hans
10-29-2007, 06:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing that's kind of annoying with the Motorola from Shaw is the PC/activity light : it's always blinking, even when there's no traffic happening at all.
</div></div>

Ya, its the SB5101 that does that... the SB5120 does not blink as often... But the SB5101 does show a more realistic use of bandwidth... it blinks a lot because there is a lot of traffic on a cable network... </div></div>

I got an SB5102. It drives me crazy to look at the activity light, as it blinks non stop.
They might as well get rid of the green lights, as they stay on all the time.