PDA

View Full Version : Parental Control

Hope
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I really need something so i can control the crap that "accidentally" comes through. Any downloads or anything? I'm using firefox if that helps. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Andre
10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
You can give this a try.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4351

If your kids are computer smart though, nothing will work.

Hope
10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
My son goes on that game runescape and I thought maybe something from there. And my daughter does the facebook and MSN? thing. But they are pretty smart, we just have to act like we know stuff when the kids do things on here that w e had no idea that could be done. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Hope
10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
One more thing, how would they get around it?

Andre
10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Do they read this forum? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Hope
10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Better not this is my space /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/no_no.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Andre
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
They just google "how to get around xxxxxxx"
Some are as easy as deleting cache, cookies, and history.
There are many ways depending on the filter.
If they're teens or close, thier friends will have the answer.

Other than simple things, as posted above, most 12 year olds will get around them. Have the computer in whatever room you're in or having them sit in your lap while surfing is the only way to be sure. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/computer.gif

Hope
10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Shut up it's that easy! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

I'm screwed! And not in a good way. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Andre
10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Yep. and most kids and adults don't realize that whatever you do and wherever you go on the internets can come back to haunt you.
googlecache (http://www.googleguide.com/cached_pages.html) and places such as Wayback machine (http://www.archive.org/index.php) store everything you have ever done on the computer forever. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool_shades.gif

Hope
10-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Holy $hit. I had NO idea! I'm going to put my Columbo hat on and play lets have a looksie.

shadowjak
10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Of course you can install a hardware or software keystroke logger and know everything that is typed into your comp

http://www.keyghost.com/sx/products.htm#TD2mbKit

http://www.keyghost.com/USB-Keylogger.htm

http://www.netbus.org/keystroke-logger.html

Jackie B
10-24-2007, 06:23 PM
My hubby bought a keylogger program that actually recorded MSN messages, plus gave us the password for her email account, along with a record of every page visited and oh the JOYOUS things we discovered. *drips with sarcasm* If you do decide to do some snooping, brace yourself. We were totally SHOCKED.

opinionated
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I think that's taking it a little too far...

opinionated
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
And on the original topic....some routers have the ability to block certain URL's (websites) from being accessed, some of them using wildcards or keywords. For example, you could block any website with '[censored]' in the URL. This method is much harder to get around as the actual blocking is taking place via the router, not on the computer.

Hope
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeh I thought about it and I don't think I could handle what I would see. So I'm not going to but I think that the kids knowing that I could will stop the crap. But as for looking at my daughters MSN I think that would be like listening on the phone and I wouldn't do that to her unless I thought something was up. She GIVES me access to all her stuff so she's not hiding anything bad or she'd put up a fuss. (man I hope not) Anyway all is good in the PC neighbour hood.

10-26-2007, 03:35 PM
This is why I will monitor ever minute my daughter spends on the computer, and she will not be able to have one in her room.

Simba
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .,CjGaughan,.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that's taking it a little too far... </div></div>

what is? protecting our kids?

opinionated
10-30-2007, 01:05 AM
This isn't the place to debate but I'll reply to that...

I think parents should protect their kids, yes, but kids are still people and deserve SOME privacy UNLESS they give you a reason not to do so. You need to show them you trust them - they need their independence (this is all dependent on age of course). Now, mind you, if that trust is ever broken, THEN out the window goes their privacy...definitely understandable.

Shawn
10-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Well for msn it automatically makes logs of all your messages... but if you want something a little more secure use http://www.msgpluslive.net/ It allows you to password protect the logs so only the person with the pass can read them... and the nice thing is it creates a log in a different spot from msn so if you kid does become wise to msn logging it... they won't know that you are also logging it with password protection. You are also able to password protect the settings so they can't find where you are storing the logs either...

As for locking your kids down... well I am sure its nothing they have not seen before... all they have to do is go to their friends house or turn on the tv...

Now a days it is very hard to hide anything from children when it comes to logging software or parental control software. There are many ways to get around the software... and I have yet to see any really good softwares... Give me a crack with them and I bet under half an hour I would be in and past the security... Kids are smart these days... I would give them a couple of hours to figure it out, so I won't list anything as it would cut it down to minutes...

Simba
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .,CjGaughan,.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This isn't the place to debate but I'll reply to that...

I think parents should protect their kids, yes, but kids are still people and deserve SOME privacy UNLESS they give you a reason not to do so. You need to show them you trust them - they need their independence (this is all dependent on age of course). Now, mind you, if that trust is ever broken, THEN out the window goes their privacy...definitely understandable. </div></div>

You are right yes we SHOULD be able to trust our kids and give them privacy but when you have kids you can NEVER be too careful. We trusted our son until we had a reason not too. You give up the right to privacy when you betray my trust.

Jackie B
10-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Clearly she gave us a reason NOT to trust her, or it wouldn't have been done in the first place. What was found confirmed what was suspected, and SOO much worse. This was at her mother's request, and I will note that when she is out and living on her won, she can have all the privacy she wants. When her mom buys her clothes, her food, provides a roof, allowance, and brings her here and there, she has EVERY right to know what she needs to know when she needs to know it.

Simba
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
That's right!

hemi_69
11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackie B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clearly she gave us a reason NOT to trust her, or it wouldn't have been done in the first place. What was found confirmed what was suspected, and SOO much worse. This was at her mother's request, and I will note that when she is out and living on her won, she can have all the privacy she wants. When her mom buys her clothes, her food, provides a roof, allowance, and brings her here and there, she has EVERY right to know what she needs to know when she needs to know it. </div></div>
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif