PDA

View Full Version : Entrances to our City

H.E. Pennypacker
10-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Having traveled a fair bit down south, I've got to wonder why our city's welcome signs are so crappy. Compare them to anywhere else they have a real sign that is landscaped very nicely, compared to our 'billboard'.

what do you think?

Below are some examples

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/338/sarndw0.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1158/616780386_96d1c6302b.jpg

Tutones
10-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I agree 100%. We need something bigger and better that says we are proud to be here!

10-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Even Echo bay and Wawa have a better greeting /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif People stop and take pictures of those! LOL

How many pictures have you seen someone standing beside Good Ole Sault Ste. Marie sign?

Macs II
10-25-2007, 01:25 AM
blame the city council for that...they don't seem to care how the city looks ...just look at the garbage all over the place..specially downtown looks like a dump

10-25-2007, 01:27 AM
They tend to hire attractive females to water the garden/ashtrays downtown!

Macs II
10-25-2007, 01:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-pot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They tend to hire attractive females to water the garden/ashtrays downtown! </div></div>

I wouldn't know I don't go to that ghetto unless I have to and thats not very often.

Madmax
10-25-2007, 01:58 AM
We actually have a downtown?

I thought it was a location of cardboard boxes piled up to look like buildings.

Macs II
10-25-2007, 02:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We actually have a downtown? </div></div>

yep ..there is one street lined with cigarette butts, run down buildings and garbage.

Madmax
10-25-2007, 02:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We actually have a downtown? </div></div>

yep ..there is one street lined with cigarette butts, run down buildings and garbage.</div></div>

Oh that place, ok i just was making sure we were talking about the same area.

Add
10-25-2007, 02:09 AM
wow.. you guys always sound like old grumpy men sitting on the porch in the morning cursing the sun for rising..

Madmax
10-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Wheres that dang sun, sonny boy eh?

Simba
10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blame the city council for that...they don't seem to care how the city looks ...just look at the garbage all over the place..specially downtown looks like a dump </div></div>

I have to agree with Macs.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
10-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I have to laugh at Bay Street sometimes. The brewery looks like a dump and the old tank farm site looks like terrible. It actually looked better when all the tanks were there 30 years ago. I am surprised they wouldnt put at least a gas station that is open 24 hours a day since most americans travel down this street.

Babzz
10-25-2007, 10:09 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/Babztull/July2007036.jpg
small town and small budget but nice entrance to the city/town

Madmax
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Very good idea 6th and i think it was talked about a few years ago, but the cost of cleaning up that place would be to expensive and that is why nobody has done a dang thing about it.

I agree they should have something like a Gas Station 24/7 there and maybe a mini variety store mall as well.

Simba
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
The customs building on our side needs some upgrading too. It is so old and those blinds in the window look like half of them are broken and bent all to hell. It looks messy.

Madmax
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The customs building on our side needs some upgrading too. It is so old and those blinds in the window look like half of them are broken and bent all to hell. It looks messy. </div></div>

Yes i noticed that as well about the blinds and the bulding is very old. This represents or looks like a poor country or town when travallers come in to it.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
10-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I know a lot of people dont agree with this but I would hand the old brewery to Steelback and renovate that place and make it a bar/micro brewery. Pretty sad when a guy from out of town puts money in the Sault for the arena and yes I know he is wealthy but sometimes I see him doing more in this town than people who actually live here,lol

Simba
10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree

Babzz
10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I personally love a lot of the old buildings! I love taking pictures of them.
Some need to come down for sure but a lot of them could be restored.
There has to be historial budget somewhere the city could tap into. This is one of the oldest city's in canada.

newman
10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The customs building on our side needs some upgrading too. It is so old and those blinds in the window look like half of them are broken and bent all to hell. It looks messy. </div></div>

Yes i noticed that as well about the blinds and the bulding is very old. This represents or looks like a poor country or town when travallers come in to it.

</div></div>

They just announced yesterday that they are planning a major upgrade to the entire bridge plaza.

Madmax
10-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Well that would be good news and i won't hold my breath, Newman.

I will believe it when i actually see it, but when and if they do it. I hope it is not a renovation, but a Modernization.

newman
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The customs building on our side needs some upgrading too. It is so old and those blinds in the window look like half of them are broken and bent all to hell. It looks messy. </div></div>

</div></div>

Hey Max, how did you notice this? You said in the Gas Price thread that you have not been across the bridge since 2001?

Madmax
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I do drive by the border building when i go downtown and drive down "carmens way". Then past the Nudio, you can see most of the crapola border plaza place.

lynys
10-25-2007, 03:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We actually have a downtown? </div></div>

yep ..there is one street lined with cigarette butts, run down buildings and garbage. </div></div>

Funny, I walk our downtown area nightly, and have not seen any of the eyesores you seem to see.

Weird. You sure you are in Sault Ste. Marie?

crazymamma
10-25-2007, 03:52 PM
maybe someone should tell the mayor to log on here and he'll get an Eye opener for once!! Maybe they should actually stop pretending to listen and actually listen...might make things alot nicer!

Verotik
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blame the city council for that...they don't seem to care how the city looks ...just look at the garbage all over the place..specially downtown looks like a dump </div></div>

lol dont worry those hard up businesses downtown are about to get your tax money to spruce up their dumps. so people wont shop there but they will look fresher.

I also can't wait till they screw us over by reducing bay st to 2 lanes "so people will shop downtown more."

A*lil*Loopy
10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Some of those hard up businesses are refusing the money. Not everyone wants the hand out and some aren't sure because there are usually strings attached. Nothing is free.
However, many of the small businesses are renting the buildings and really don't have a lot of control over the owners decisions.

Queen Street isn't as bad as people like to think, if everyone stopped throwing their garbage on the street it would stay a lot cleaner. People breaking glass and doing graffiti doesn't help either. I personally wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't have alarms and cameras. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Super Gram
10-26-2007, 12:00 AM
There is a new dinner theatre opening at the old Odeon Theatre . Called Lock City Theatre and run by Tim Murphy.

Bridge plaza is going for a 5 yr restructure and I fear some homes will be taken over.

The new highway is opening the end of Oct. Maybe they will put a sign there.

Macs II
10-26-2007, 12:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bridge plaza is going for a 5 yr restructure and I fear some homes will be taken over. </div></div>

Those houses should've been leveled long time ago with most of the downtown

DodgeBoy
10-26-2007, 01:17 AM
I have to say that I find it amusing that a lot of people put down this city like it is a hole. I am a truck driver and I have been all over the place, and to a lot of cities. For example, the first time I was ever dispatched to go to Chicago, I was amazed at night by all of the lights, the skyline is beautiful, here is a picture of Chicago:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/cutie2238/chicgo.jpg
And on the other hand, we have the outskirts of Chicago, and unfortunately, my opinion of the city immediately changed, I have seen shooting happen, muggings, prostitutes (none of them remotely attractive BTW), and the picture I am about to show you is amongst the area that I deliver steel to that comes from our small city, that is as clean as an operating room by comparison. I speak to people that live in these places when I go there, and they try and make enough money to keep their way of life.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/cutie2238/Slums.jpg

I realize that this is a drastic comparison, but the moral of the story is to not judge a book by its cover, and take a little pride in the city in which we live, instead of putting it down.

Macs II
10-26-2007, 01:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have to say that I find it amusing that a lot of people put down this city like it is a hole. </div></div>

Thats not correct ...only the downtown is a dump and some areas around steel plant but thats to be expected.

GRUMPY
10-26-2007, 12:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-pot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They tend to hire attractive females to water the garden/ashtrays downtown! </div></div>

It would be interesting to know their family names and where their parents work.

GRUMPY
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A*lil*Loopy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of those hard up businesses are refusing the money. Not everyone wants the hand out and some aren't sure because there are usually strings attached. Nothing is free.
However, many of the small businesses are renting the buildings and really don't have a lot of control over the owners decisions.

Queen Street isn't as bad as people like to think, if everyone stopped throwing their garbage on the street it would stay a lot cleaner. People breaking glass and doing graffiti doesn't help either. I personally wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't have alarms and cameras. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
</div></div>

True but have you been across the river in the morning before the stores open? If you did you'd see a lot of owners out in front of their stores with a broom or a hose.