PDA

View Full Version : Question about hot spots

kuietgrl (got lost)
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
My Chi used to get hot spots ALL the time until I switched him to a good food. And when he used to get them, the area would be shaved and I'd put Gold Bond on it.

Well, last night, Stella developed a hot spot on her shoulder. Do I have to shave a short haired dog? If so, how? lol Any suggestions other than Gold Bond?

Poor girl. As if she didn't have it hard enough with her health... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif I hope these don't become a regular issue with her.

binky
10-25-2007, 07:07 PM
its important to keep the spots dry, with short hair I dont really think you absolutely have to shave the area. When my previous dog got them I put polysporin on them cuz she'd bite them and cause damage, but gold bond is excellent. I was told that wheat in food and treats are a very big contributer to causing hot spots

kuietgrl (got lost)
10-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, that's not what is causing hers because she's on a gluten-free diet (wheat, rye, barley, etc.) But she has bad food allergies, so who knows. Maybe she's developed another allergy /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

It's on her shoulder, so she can't chew it. And she can't reach there with her leg to scratch it...I guess that's a plus...

DogsRule
10-25-2007, 09:51 PM
No, but Ivan can chew it, watch he doesnt do that. A lot of the times other dogs think they are helping, but really they are making it worse. Is it a dry hot spot? Or gooey?

It IS also the season for allergens, so watch for that too.

kuietgrl (got lost)
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
As close as they are, they don't spend much time together lol Stella sleeps in her crate all day and Ivan sleeps in the livingroom. I've caught him licking it a bit, but I've stopped him every time.

When she gets up in the morning, it's red and a bit gooey but by evening, it's dry and you can barely notice it. I dunno. I've been putting Gold Bond on it.

leafs93
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I went to YIPS and spoke with Sherry when my dog got hot spots. She showed me a tea tree salve, you only put on a little tiny bit and it took the itchies away and my dogs hot spot started healing up nicely after the second time I put it on. My dog had them on her tail and was chewing none stop and this salve helped big time.

DogsRule
10-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Tea tree oil can be bad for animals, so you want to watch that.

I talked to a few people about something similar, and they recommended coconut oil shampoo and salve.

Kuiet, I have the name of a lady here who makes up herbal salves and she will ship to you. She has made me calendula salve and I got 2 (for real cheap), I use it on us and the dogs. It does help. Let me know if you want the info.

I went back through my e-mails and this is the info I found on tea tree oil

" I would not use anything with Tea Tree oil in it, as it has been linked to death in animals within a 24 hour period of useage. As it causes high Liver toxicity.
Lavender oil is safe and is an all round first aid treatment. It has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antininflammatory, astringent and regenerative properties. Great for cuts, burns, bruises, infections, pain etc. And it cleanses.
Make sure it is the true Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) unadulterated. A plain Echinacea/Goldenseal combination is best.
Scabs are good they show it is healing. As long as its not a puss scab. You know your dog best and he will tell you if its getting worse. Remember during the healing process we always get worse before it gets better. Give it a few days (one week) of worse, if it doesn't turn around after that then you should go in."

leafs93
10-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Just out of curiousity what site featured this infomation? I did a serch on tea tree oil and canines and it is actually in many shampoos, flea treatments, salves,ear medication, dog toothpaste and so forth for dogs. You aren't suppost to use tea tree oil on cats, puppies or birds. The product I purchased says DO NOT USE ON CATS clearly on the label. It also states not to use on dogs with sensitive skin or dogs under 8 weeks of age or under 10 pounds.

All I know is it cleared up my dogs hot spots in two applications, after the first application a scab formed but she still was trying to chew. the second application stopped the itch and she left it alone.

DogsRule
10-27-2007, 12:27 AM
What site? My e-mail hehe. I deal with a lady who specializes in herbs and holistics. And I had asked her about tea tree oil, that is what she has said.

And to be honest, I had contacted tea tree companies about that, and NOT ONE could give me a straight answer. Oh, and even reps of Malalucia (sp) have said NOT to use their products around the animals because it is hard on the animals.

kuietgrl (got lost)
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Her spot has scabbed now and it's barely noticeable...bleh. I hate this.

PM me that info, though, DogsRule and if this becomes a regular thing with her, I'll order some of that stuff. I don't like using the Gold Bond around the baby too much because it smells so strong and the powder gets in EVERYTHING /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

The joys of sick dogs...