PDA

View Full Version : Can a cat be too clingy?

hellokitty75
10-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I am just wondering if anyone else has a super clingy cat?
My boy Sox is about 6 years old and almost from the start he has been my "velcro cat", meaning that where ever I go I usually have him stuck to my side or on my lap. He doesn't seem to really like other people including my boyfriend or other pets in the house (he chases them away so he can have my lap all to himself!). He cries outside of a closed door if he knows I'm in another room and is even happy to sit beside the tub when I'm having a bath and wait until I'm done.
Is it normal for a cat to be so possessive of his owner?
It's funny to be at home and followed by my dog AND my cat everywhere I go!

LettuceLady
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
My cats are super clingy! I have 7 but 4 are true velcro strips. When I take a shower 2 are in the bathroom with me. My black persian is my biggest shadow. She is pretty much in every room that I am. Its cute when my cats get up from their nap that they come and find me for a little snuggle.
Sometimes when I go to bed and they dont see me sneak away, they cry down stairs for me. If I go in a room and close they door, I almost always have a line up waiting when I open it. Im not sure if this is because I am a stay at home mom so they are basically with me 24/7. They say persians are a one person cat and that is SO true /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am definatly not complaining either /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DogsRule
10-30-2007, 12:06 AM
awwwwwwwww lol

everywoman
10-30-2007, 12:15 AM
My cat WILL NOT leave us alone. She jumps up wherever we are and rubs us like crazy, and she follows us all around the house too. Guess some are more affectionate than others.

Babzz
10-30-2007, 12:20 AM
mine follows me every where too.. from room to room.
She goes to bed when i go and gets up when i do. She races me down the stairs in the morning and has almost tripped me more than once.

kitca
10-30-2007, 08:41 AM
one of mine too! different personalities, my viper is sitting on my hands and keyboard as i type right now. kitca, she just likes a cuddle now and then.

leafs93
10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
My one cat is like this also. If you close a door he will put his feet under and claw on the other side ( I have badly fitted doors so they all have like a one inch gap between the door and the floor) He won't let my husband in bed at night, hubby has to wake me up to move the cat to my side of the bed. My other cat really could care less if she gets any cuddles, as long as there is food in the dish and a clean litterbox her life is great. Some kitties just love their peoples lots!

magic mushroom
10-30-2007, 12:31 PM
sometimes it's the cats who lost their mother too young and they are imprinting on you. you basically replaced their mom.
i have 3 like that. the one i know didnt have a mom from 3 weeks old. the other 2, i am guessing didn't either.

A*lil*Loopy
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Sounds like someones kitty is pretty normal. I have one that follows me to the bathroom and insists on sleeping with me, she smacks the dogs if they get in the way. My other cat likes to sleep with his head in my hand if he can, or on my chest.....and he's heavy. He also lays on the kitchen table in the morning and insists on having coffee with me. My other gal doesn't like to be held, she taps my shoulder or leg when she needs petting, sometimes in the middle of the night.....ugh.

Whoever said cats are independent didn't know anything about cats.