PDA

View Full Version : help,.. dog toenail cutting

kitca
10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
one of my dogs, honey, has extremely long hard toenails. regular walking does not seem to help wear them down at all and they need to be cut regularily. they are all black so i can not see where to properly cut.

i know the vet has sometimes cut into the live part and it has bled, she has a powder that she puts into the claw that immediatly stops the bleeding. i just hate the thot of hurting her. does it hurt them if you cut to deep? can it get infected, does it bleed for long?

what i have been doing is just taking a little bit off each week, but they are long and i think i need to take alot more off of them. i had a really hard time until i just found a different type of nail cutter that is like a pruner and it works wonders. the regular type of cutter was not big enough or strong enough and we had a real fight with it. now with the new cutters i can do a much better job. but i am so worried about hurting her. she is so scared and moans and cries when they are being cut.

thanks.!!!

LettuceLady
10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Rens Pets sells clippers that beep when you come close to the quick. I dont do dog nails. $3 at the groomers is well worth it for me /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DogsRule
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I use a dremel, its way better, and you can get different brand names for cheaper

grantsgetaway
10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
We have the same problem with our old girl Kammie, her nails have always been really bad to trim, and they are black also. It does hurt them if you cut to close to the quick, it would be just like you if you cut your nail to close. My vet told me that they could cut them all off for me, the would put her under, and she would be in a little bit of pain for a couple of days until they healed, but I didn't do it. I don't want her to be in any kind of pain, so I just cut a little bit off at a time. I look at the middle of the nail, if it's still white in the middle I cut a little bit more, but just a tiny bit, when it gets to a grayish color, then thats when I stop.
If you do happen to cut it to far it will bleed, you could use flour to help it stop. But what I do is just keep a paper towel to it with firm pressure and within a few seconds it will stop. I'm not sure if it could get infected, I've never had it happen.
I've heard of people using a dremel tool, I don't have one or else I would try that on her. I hope this helps.

kitca
10-31-2007, 03:20 PM
thanks. i do infact have a dremel, but i like these new clippers i found.

i like your advise on if they are still white inside they are good and when they turn grey it is close to the quick. that gives me a good guide, i am still very much in the white, so i will keep trimming in small bits using that guideline. thanks so much.

binky
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
dremel as in rotary tool???????

DogsRule
10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: binky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dremel as in rotary tool??????? </div></div>

Yup. Less time and a smoother nail.

DogsRule
10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

Joy.D
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Most dogs don't like the feeling of the vibrations with the dreamel and you have to be very carefull you do not overheat the nail. I just use the dremel to smooth the sharp edges on the .

binky
11-01-2007, 08:00 AM
hmmmm, I'll have to try that.

MaO3
11-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Isn't YIPS offering a nail service ???I thought I read that when I was there last time.

LadyNina
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Yip, we do. Sometimes their "quicks" never recede. My dog is like that. I cut the tips every 10 days or so, and still after doing this for 3 years, she still sometimes bleeds at just a smidgen of trim.
All you can really do, without hurting the dog, is to trim them as you are, every week or two. If the pet ever has to be sedated, or go under anesthetic, I'd ask the vet to trim them down then, while it wouldn't hurt. I've seen it done hundreds of times under sedation, and they don't suffer after, like I think someone mentioned earlier. (unless the nail has grown into the pad)

The powder you want is "quick stop". Although home remedys work somewhat, styptic powder works the best, and lessens the risk of infection if it's a larger wound. You can also use it on minor scrapes and cuts, and it has a long expiry date.

kitca
11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
do you sell quick stop, or is a script from the vet?

thanks for your info.

she is so scared, i dont want to bring her anywhere, i want to do it myself, ill just keep at it like i have been. it is SO MUCH easier now with these new clippers, like night and day!