PDA

View Full Version : New department store coming?

b&aMom
11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Job ad in the Saturday classifieds in the Sault Star for a Manager and Assistant Managers for Hart Stores Inc. A search of their website shows them to be in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces, and moving west. One in Espanola, their site shows, I wonder if it replaced Giant Tiger? Their website lists their stores as Hart and Bargain Giant. A glance at their current flyer, online, shows pretty low prices.

http://www.hartstores.com/Hart/HartHomePage.asp?Language=E

Anyone know where/when it's opening?

Shanny
11-03-2007, 09:19 AM
This is going to be going in the Market Mall where The Brick used to be.

Jader
11-03-2007, 10:10 AM
There is a Hart store in Sudbury in the New Rainbow Center. It kind of reminded me of the Met Store that use to be in the Market Mall.

GRUMPY
11-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Great another crap store.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-03-2007, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great another crap store. </div></div>

agreed

tippikitty
11-03-2007, 11:16 AM
At least it will create some jobs.

Simba
11-03-2007, 11:17 AM
true

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-03-2007, 11:20 AM
$hit on a stick,lol

Huggy85
11-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Every store opening, regardless of what we think of them, is another corporate vote of confidence in the future of our city.

Bring on more stores, crap or otherwise.

GRUMPY
11-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Not arguing about the fact that there will be more jobs (minimum wage or not), just that it would be nice to see something other than another junk store is all. As for "is another corporate vote of confidence in the future of our city", what it might be saying to is that those people up there really like cheap tacky crap.

Huggy85
11-03-2007, 11:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not arguing about the fact that there will be more jobs (minimum wage or not), just that it would be nice to see something other than another junk store is all. As for "is another corporate vote of confidence in the future of our city", what it might be saying to is that those people up there really like cheap tacky crap. </div></div>

....and when we want anything other than cheap, tacky crap we drive across a bridge to buy it cheaper elsewhere.

DemonBaby666
11-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Giant Tiger is still and always will be in Espanola. I love that store. I'm curious as to what the building by Payless Shoes is gonna be. Or is that the new Boston Pizza? I dunno.

Huggy85
11-03-2007, 11:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~+DemonBaby666+~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giant Tiger is still and always will be in Espanola. I love that store. I'm curious as to what the building by Payless Shoes is gonna be. Or is that the new Boston Pizza? I dunno. </div></div>

Bostons Pizza is beside Soo Mill

GRUMPY
11-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes speaking of cheap and tacky theres alway Giant Tiger.

Kittie
11-03-2007, 11:45 AM
I LOVE GIANT TIGER. :$

SusyQ
11-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Giant Tiger is great. I went too one in Bolton Ontario and let me tell you girls tops like you buy at Suzy Shier etc cheaper at Giant Tiger same as household items cheaper and same quality as Zellers or Walmart. Anyone who has been there already knows how good it is!

IMHO
11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Its time for GAP...THE BAY...MONTANAS...OUTBACK...THE KEG

b&aMom
11-03-2007, 12:06 PM
The Keg sucks. I'd go for a GAP, and definitely for The Bay. But I still want a Marks and Spencers back. : (

kitty&mimi
11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
we have field's here, and all the dollar stores and red apple too
i think we need higher end dept. stores like the bay

SusyQ
11-03-2007, 12:28 PM
You been to the Bay lately you need a S$it load of money to shop there its just another Sears but with a differant name.

kitty&mimi
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
options and variety are nice though

b&aMom
11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You been to the Bay lately you need a S$it load of money to shop there its just another Sears but with a differant name. </div></div>

Used to shop at The Bay when I lived in BC...when I had money to shop. Like Sears, they have some awesome sales. I got a $150 sheet set on sale for $50 ten years ago, and they're still going strong. And not those cheap sets that pill, either. Sears is good as well, but if you're on a budget, you have to shop the sales, like with the Bay. I've been buying kids' winter coats, -30 boots, etc. at Sears on sale for a bit more than I'd pay at Walmart, and they last very well through two kids. Walmart's (and other low end department stores') stuff won't last like that, I know, I've tried, it's too cheaply made. Nice part is, a lot of the stuff is Canadian made. Chances are in the cheapy department stores, it's not Canadian.

I'm not trying to be a shopping snob, I know what it's like to put your kid in cloth diapers 'cause you can't afford disposables. Or not buy clothes for yourself for ten years (except maybe a thing or two at VV) because your kids grow, and you don't. I just look for the best value for my dollar, and quality plays a big part in that, if you have kids you're passing down to.

westend mama
11-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Sears may have good deals sometimes, but I was there today, and left because I was getting a headache from their LOUD announcements every 2 minutes. They sound desprate for you to buy. I`m surprised the blue light specials haven`t started there yet. Does anyone else find their LOUD announcements annoying? I was trying to talk to a salesperson, and I couldn`t hear. The sales person told me that alot of customers complain.

peterparker_sault
11-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Ahh yes... the ol' job creation bit... That's exactly what this community needs..... more minimum wage jobs. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If you only want to make $10 an hour walmart is always hiring at Christmas time. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Lets try to get some actual INDUSTRY here so we can all afford to shop at places a LITTLE bit better than HART. (Yhea... that's the same one thats in the Rainbow Centre in Sudbury... Great prices on all their products, to bad most of it isn't worth what you pay for it.)

J

tippikitty
11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Minimum wage jobs are still better then no jobs. Besides you have to start somewhere.

First people complain about all these people on welfare then you complain that we have too many minimum wage jobs, make up your damn mind.

Bufford
11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Right on, Kitty

dancingqueen
11-03-2007, 08:05 PM
We have some other mini ghetto department store beside the blockbuster in the Eastend. I'm with Tippy that it's good in that it's creating jobs, but at the same time, they will all just be minimum wage jobs and as far as the city expanding, it is not expanding in a very "productive" way, it just seems to be one department store after another, then the odd restraunt to trow in every now and then... JMO

tippikitty
11-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes but it's a start and it's better then nothing. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

dancingqueen
11-03-2007, 09:20 PM
It is deffinatly better than nothing, but I would like to see our city do better.

Macs II
11-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Anything new coming into town is good news.

tippikitty
11-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

H.E. Pennypacker
11-03-2007, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You been to the Bay lately you need a S$it load of money to shop there its just another Sears but with a differant name. </div></div>

i'm sorry but the bay is way better than sears. no comparison.

Macs II
11-03-2007, 09:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rome wasn't built in a day. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Sorry ...I tried my best /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

tippikitty
11-03-2007, 09:28 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif my reply was to Dancingqueen.

Jackie B
11-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I went to a Hart Store in Sudbury and rather enjoyed it, but then again, I don't have expensive taste.

I wanted to try the Keg while in Windsor, but couldn't, so I went to Montana's instead. It was nice, good food, good service, nice atmosphere. I think I gained 10 pounds in the four days I was there. LOL I had Eastside Marios for lunch today in Rochester Hills Michigan. Mmmmm...

GRUMPY
11-03-2007, 10:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You been to the Bay lately you need a S$it load of money to shop there its just another Sears but with a differant name. </div></div>

</div></div>

Same ****t different name.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-03-2007, 10:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You been to the Bay lately you need a S$it load of money to shop there its just another Sears but with a differant name. </div></div>

</div></div>

Same ****t different name. </div></div>

Try going to the Bay Queen St TO and then Sears.. No comparison, sorry.

GRUMPY
11-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Sorry I thought we were talking store chains not individual stores. Yes the Bay in Toronto is a great store but what does that have to do with stores coming to the Soo?

H.E. Pennypacker
11-03-2007, 11:29 PM
all bays are better than sears. higher quality items. better service.

GRUMPY
11-03-2007, 11:29 PM
same owner

H.E. Pennypacker
11-03-2007, 11:34 PM
once again, incorrect.

the bay is canada's oldest company, 'The Hudson's Bay Company' Owned by Jerry Zucker.

Sears is owned by KMART.

Jackie B
11-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, Ithink the Bay and zellers are affiliated, right?

H.E. Pennypacker
11-04-2007, 12:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackie B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, Ithink the Bay and zellers are affiliated, right? </div></div>

yes

the bay, zellers, home outfitters, fields (which just opened here in town) and designer depot (like winners).

V Code
11-04-2007, 12:44 AM
so we have too many minimum wage jobs? if people want to see more higher wages... who are these employers? does anyone not realize that for a company to offer special services there must be a trained workforce? Sault is very small compared to other cities and most companies will not come here cause we don't have a enough trained people.

a job is a job for people who don't have one.

you wanna [censored], [censored] to the G about our forest industry and how its been ruined, that will bring back paying jobs to the area

ssmarie
11-04-2007, 01:19 AM
don't we have a field's store here....it is owned by HBC. The Bay will never come here....it would have to go in a mall.

11-04-2007, 01:29 AM
As a born and raised logger, for many generations. I laugh at these people saying "BRING BACK THE FORESTRY SECTOR".

You know how much money it costs to run these machines, and how much fuel they consume?

That government can help these folks out, bring them back to life, but they WILL be carrying them for now on! Paying their electrical bill, fuel bills and what not.

If more loggers went back to the falling by saw, cable line skidder or even horse skids, 1 person limbing and bucking the trees, it'd save them money rather then operating these fuel hungry monster machines.

The demand exceeds the supply and the process of which the supply is processed /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

More wood orders to fill, faster the worker has to be.

It costs a bloody fortune, and you can't expect the government to baby the company for ever. It is like company welfare. They won't be able to get off.

So the business that die off, let them die off. THey were on the way out the door, it is their fault for not running an efficiant business in the first place!

My dad, still hits it old school in the bush and makes alot of money. Other logging outfits around him went bankrupt, or are gone!

So whos really to blame?

dancingqueen
11-04-2007, 10:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kr0n0s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so we have too many minimum wage jobs? if people want to see more higher wages... who are these employers? does anyone not realize that for a company to offer special services there must be a trained workforce? Sault is very small compared to other cities and most companies will not come here cause we don't have a enough trained people.</div></div>

hm, I have heard or read somewhere that the Sault actually has alot of skilled workers, and one of the highest in Ontario... Not sure though, I'll try and find time to look it up when I wake up.
Then again maybe it was just Call Centre gossip or the article I read meant in Northern Ontario. /shrug

lovekisses
11-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Ive been to the Harts store in Espanola when visiting family and its actually a pretty good store

peterparker_sault
11-06-2007, 08:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rome wasn't built in a day. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>
Well... I think it was transformed in a day... wasn't it already a grocery store before they bought it?
(grin)
J

peterparker_sault
11-06-2007, 08:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once again, incorrect.

the bay is canada's oldest company, 'The Hudson's Bay Company' Owned by Jerry Zucker.

Sears is owned by KMART. </div></div>

While you are correct... you understated it... The Hudsons Bay Company is the WORLDS oldest continuiosly operation company.

DOGWALKER1
11-06-2007, 10:00 AM
We need COSCO

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Ya really. Good luck though. It was hard enough to get Walmart here without all the pi$$ing and moaning. Can you imagine if there were any discussions about a Costco? There would be riots at city council for sure...

GRUMPY
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOGWALKER1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need COSCO </div></div>

Cosco SUCKS big time.After all is said and done there you "might" save a little but its not worth the hassle.

MaO3
11-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I like COSCO. However you have to be somewhat educated about prices before you shop there. You can find some really good buys but there are also things that are Not less expensive then regular grocery store shopping.
You must know or at least have an idea of the cost of things.

I have found great deals at Cosco. They also have things that you can't find anywhere else.

b&aMom
11-06-2007, 10:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOGWALKER1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need COSCO </div></div>

Cosco SUCKS big time.After all is said and done there you "might" save a little but its not worth the hassle. </div></div>

I beg to differ. DH and I shopped at Costco when we lived in BC. We were living as a family of three on less than $10/hr. Had we not shopped there for the bargains (not ALL of our groceries), we would have been very malnourished...if not starved. Thing is, it's what you buy. We used to buy big roasts, and slice them up for steaks. We bought huge packages of chicken breasts and repackaged them. Same with ground beef. Same with cheese and other dairy products. Back then (mid 90s), we would have paid almost twice the price in a grocery store.

H.E. Pennypacker
11-06-2007, 04:06 PM
costco is great for a lot of items. you just have to know your prices. not everything is a great deal as people make it out to be. they also have the best return policy out there; combine that with good products, in store samples and great service i'd like to think costco would be a great addition here.

ps to others above, it's Costco not Cosco

Simba
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
It's getting to a point where I don't care what stores we get, as long as we have some variety and some more competition.

GRUMPY
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">costco is great for a lot of items. you just have to know your prices. not everything is a great deal as people make it out to be. they also have the best return policy out there; combine that with good products, in store samples and great service i'd like to think costco would be a great addition here.

ps to others above, it's Costco not Cosco </div></div>

Ah, the spelling police are out again.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-06-2007, 06:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's getting to a point where I don't care what stores we get, as long as we have some variety and some more competition. </div></div>

Damn you

Simba
11-06-2007, 08:48 PM
In other words "you are right Simba"...lol

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOGWALKER1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need COSCO </div></div>

Cosco SUCKS big time.After all is said and done there you "might" save a little but its not worth the hassle. </div></div>

Why damnit.

General Lee
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The 6th Member Of AC/DC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOGWALKER1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need COSCO </div></div>

Why damnit. </div></div>

GO TO BED DAMMIT

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The 6th Member Of AC/DC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOGWALKER1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need COSCO </div></div>

Why damnit. </div></div>

GO TO BED DAMMIT </div></div>

Catch up damnit

General Lee
11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
we need nothing all these stupid discount stores u can tell this is a welly town

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we need nothing all these stupid discount stores u can tell this is a welly town </div></div>

Do you work for city council

General Lee
11-06-2007, 09:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The 6th Member Of AC/DC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we need nothing all these stupid discount stores u can tell this is a welly town </div></div>

Do you work for city council </div></div>

wish i got paid what they do to sit there and do FA

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
They make sure we get FA too,lol

General Lee
11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The 6th Member Of AC/DC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make sure we get FA too,lol </div></div>

true so true

mytwocents
11-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I like Hart. Glad I live nearby.

crystal doll
11-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Being on disability its not easy to spend money at high end stores.Even when you go threw the thrifty stores, if you know what to look for you can get better quality.
I would never kick any store that wants to come here, jobs are needed.
I personally love giant tiger and wish they would come here.
So there is my 1 cent worth.hehheheh