PDA

View Full Version : Have cellphone,,,need service!

Tutones
11-03-2007, 07:45 PM
A friend has given me her old cell phone but I need to know how to go about setting it up for service. Will any service provider allow me to use this phone for prepaid minutes only or will I have to sign a contract that will likely exceed the lifetime of my phone?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be helpful to narrow down my actual footwork into the actual business' as my time is limited to do this during the day...

I just want to get any idea whether it is worth it or if I should just consider buying a new phone. I've never had a cellphone and won't use this one much except for emergencies/travelling.

t1000
11-03-2007, 07:53 PM
was it a pay as you go phone before you got it?

Tutones
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I honestly don't know - I don't think so.

t1000
11-03-2007, 08:01 PM
It might work out cheaper to just go out and get a pay as you go phone than use the phone you were given if you don't plan on using it often and don't want a contract. jmo

Tutones
11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
I suspect you are right.

t1000
11-03-2007, 08:09 PM
if it was a pay as you go phone before you just have to find out what company and go out and buy the phone cards and you are all set!

cutie22
11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I highly dont suggest Rogers. I'm currently with them and speak with them every month if not more due to them messing something up. Very unhappy with their service.

Chaotic Chick
11-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I had Bell for my cell phone for about 7 years, and then Rogers briefly. Now I have Telus and NEVER have a problem with reception. I have pay as you go and although I use my cell a LOT, I spend maybe $50 a month on my phone. When I had a plan, I easily had $200 bills every month. (Crazy, since I also have a landline!) I recommend Telus.

If you go in or call them, a cell phone provider can tell you if they support the make and model of phone you have.

Macs II
11-04-2007, 12:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Bell for my cell phone for about 7 years, and then Rogers briefly. Now I have Telus and NEVER have a problem with reception. I have pay as you go and although I use my cell a LOT, I spend maybe $50 a month on my phone. When I had a plan, I easily had $200 bills every month. (Crazy, since I also have a landline!) I recommend Telus.

If you go in or call them, a cell phone provider can tell you if they support the make and model of phone you have. </div></div>

$2400.00 a year for a phone ..thats crazy

cutie22
11-04-2007, 12:37 AM
I had telus on pay as you go too and really it was great. I could get the $50 cards on my phone and still get unlimited evenings and weekends, plus unlimited text messaging and also I had unlimited incoming local calls. The reception sucked when I went out of town such as Goulais (ppl I know with telus their phones work out there) but other than that and some minor problems with them I probably should have stayed on pay as you go.

Chaotic Chick
11-04-2007, 01:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Bell for my cell phone for about 7 years, and then Rogers briefly. Now I have Telus and NEVER have a problem with reception. I have pay as you go and although I use my cell a LOT, I spend maybe $50 a month on my phone. When I had a plan, I easily had $200 bills every month. (Crazy, since I also have a landline!) I recommend Telus.

If you go in or call them, a cell phone provider can tell you if they support the make and model of phone you have. </div></div>

$2400.00 a year for a phone ..thats crazy </div></div>

That's why I am not allowed to have a cellphone plan anymore. My husband said no one needs a phone that damned bad.

Chaotic Chick
11-04-2007, 01:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cutie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had telus on pay as you go too and really it was great. I could get the $50 cards on my phone and still get unlimited evenings and weekends, plus unlimited text messaging and also I had unlimited incoming local calls. The reception sucked when I went out of town such as Goulais (ppl I know with telus their phones work out there) but other than that and some minor problems with them I probably should have stayed on pay as you go. </div></div>

I get unlimited evenings and weekends, 200 text messages and voice mail when I put a $50 card on my phone. I keep the rest for my daytime minutes and use them only when I have to. But I can use it all I want after 6 pm and on weekends. It really works out well for me... and I went from paying 30 cents a minute down to 15 cents a minute for daytime minutes now.

I have awesome reception in most areas with my new phone. I find some phones don't have great reception, regardless of the provider. Only lost signal with my phone one time since I bought it in February.

Macs II
11-04-2007, 01:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Bell for my cell phone for about 7 years, and then Rogers briefly. Now I have Telus and NEVER have a problem with reception. I have pay as you go and although I use my cell a LOT, I spend maybe $50 a month on my phone. When I had a plan, I easily had $200 bills every month. (Crazy, since I also have a landline!) I recommend Telus.

$2400.00 a year for a phone ..thats crazy </div></div>

That's why I am not allowed to have a cellphone plan anymore. My husband said no one needs a phone that damned bad. </div></div>

and he was right /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Tutones
11-04-2007, 01:23 AM
What is the time cut off for daytime minutes vs. evening minutes?

Macs II
11-04-2007, 01:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the time cut off for daytime minutes vs. evening minutes? </div></div>

when I had a cell phone years ago it was 6 pm on weekdays ..not sure what it is now

axalon2003
11-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Another thing to check out is whether the phone uses digital or analog transmission signals. Older phones that use analog signals won't work on any of the cellular networks anymore. They've all upgraded to digital/GSM.

Tutones
11-04-2007, 01:03 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif This phone is not THAT old!!!

11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Or you can skip all this mumbo jumbo, bring it to the provider from whence it came, tell them you want to activate it!

Contracts are generally a equipment subsidy. 3 year contract, generally $300 off the phone price.

If you own the phone, no contract. Either pay as you go, which you have to pay activation, as well as the first card. Or just normal plan.

terr994
11-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Anyone out there have telus plan? I am on talk to me 25 and was wondering about it, just got it so never had a chance to ask yet, it says on site
*unlimited local incoming minutes
*up to 100 minutes
*up to 1000 local nights and weekend minutes
*unlimited local calling for up to 3 months
I am confused on the second one.....up too 100 minutes???Does that mean Daytime minutes? IDK...if it is that plan works fine for me...but maybe for the amount I would use it and the places I would call, My Favs 25 would prolly be better..unlimited nationwide talk and text to any five mobile or landline numbers, I like the nationwide thingy because I do not know that many people here, 2 peeps from here and 3 from back home, yeah that sounds good, and still the 100 minutes(whatever they are) and 1000 evening and weekends...sry for babbling on.......LMAO...bored I guess! But I know from a friend that rodgers sux, even after getting a new phone her reception is not soo good...can't tell you bout mine, I've used it once so far...but it was good, kept asking "can you hear me now?" lmao, serious though I kept asking if they could here me good n loud n clear, they said yes..

nightingale
11-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Who?ME?, I haven't read most of this thread, but wanted to mention that if you get a phone through Bell, ADSB, has a really good corporate rate plan. Check it out! We have 2 separate phones with unlimited everything and we pay very little - call display, call waiting, etc...included.

cutie22
11-04-2007, 10:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the time cut off for daytime minutes vs. evening minutes? </div></div>

It all depends on the company. Most places its anywhere from 7-9pm. But you can always pay extra to get it to start at 6pm.

General Lee
11-04-2007, 11:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cutie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly dont suggest Rogers. I'm currently with them and speak with them every month if not more due to them messing something up. Very unhappy with their service. </div></div>

I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH rogers sorry for the caps to lazy to retype it lmao

jag
11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the type of phone you've got will determine which network you can use it on.

Rogers and Bell/Telus use different technologies (GSM and CDMA respectively). If it's a GSM phone, it can only be used on Rogers' network. If it's CDMA, it can only be used on Bell or Telus' networks.

Find out which network the phone used to be on, and you'll find out what your options are.

General Lee
11-04-2007, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct me if I'm wrong, but the type of phone you've got will determine which network you can use it on.

Rogers and Bell/Telus use different technologies (GSM and CDMA respectively). If it's a GSM phone, it can only be used on Rogers' network. If it's CDMA, it can only be used on Bell or Telus' networks.

Find out which network the phone used to be on, and you'll find out what your options are. </div></div>

correct unless u buy an unlocked phone

KWB
11-04-2007, 11:33 AM
CALL BELL/ROGERS

Tutones
11-04-2007, 01:13 PM
PM to you nightingale.

Chaotic Chick
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM

It depends. I have early nights and weekends, and my evenings start at 6 pm. Otherwise, they usually start at 8 pm. I pay an extra $5 per month for early nights and weekends. I get off work at 7 pm, and usually call home around that time, on my way home so I went with the early nights.

tired-n-cranky
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">correct unless u buy an unlocked phone </div></div>

An unlocked phone will not change the technology being used (CDMA/GSM) . Phone unlocking is kind of pointless in Canada, since Rogers is GSM, and Belus (Bell/Telus)is CDMA.

hp2
11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
we have had telus, we have had rodgers, and nothing compares to pc mobile!! me and hubby are both on, I use my phone tones, and so does he and its not even 50 a month between the both of us, I top up with 15 he tops with 25 cause he uses it for work!! and IT works more places then both telus and rodgers ever did!!!!

they have different plans etc, but we dont add the extras and its only 20cents a min!!

and they have great longdistance to, so it works out to like 24 cents a min lond distance if you use there cards!! and great people to deal with!!
http://mobile.presidentschoice.ca/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?ctl_nbr=3910&nurl=control/MobileHome.vm you buy the phones outa romes, and you can get tops up there or no frills, anywhere that sells most pc products!!! around canada!!

tired-n-cranky
11-05-2007, 06:44 AM
PC Mobile is just a reseller of Bell...so wherever PC works, Bell and Telus will also, since Telus uses Bell towers.

hp2
11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTwOrK-D@wg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PC Mobile is just a reseller of Bell...so wherever PC works, Bell and Telus will also, since Telus uses Bell towers. </div></div>

Yes they are, but no where in comparison to bell for customer service!!

and as in to where it works from the telus, My hubby works up the north hiway, when he had his telus at place of work, which is before city limits, the telus would not work, where as his new pc mobile, works outside there but in the shop also, NO word of A lie!! the pc mobile picks up better then telus ever did!!