PDA

View Full Version : Candle making question?

Babzz
11-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I am going to attempt this today and have never tried it before. Any tips for a beginner? I found mineral oil in the big box of wax i bought a while back. What is it for?

Tutones
11-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I used to make my own candles.

If you are melting parafin, make sure you are using an old pot that you are willing to dedicate strictly to melting wax (it will be difficult to clean) The mineral oil should keep the candle from sticking to the candle mold if you are pouring candles.

Make sure you tie the candle wick around a pencil or stick and lay it across the top of the mold so your wick doesn't fall in.

Don't use string for wicks, use the ones that come with the kit or are made specifically for the purpose otherwise you will get a lot of smoke.

Decorate candles with beeswax - don't use flammable materials on the outside of your candles if you plan on actually burning them.

Warm the beeswax with a hairdryer on low setting to make it plyable for rolling candles or applying as decoration to the exterior of poured candles.

Babzz
11-04-2007, 01:51 PM
thanks..
changing the pot now /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I was gonna use my good one

Babzz
11-04-2007, 01:52 PM
so i put mineral oil on the mold before i pour it then right?

skibunnie64
11-04-2007, 01:55 PM
i would think so babzz...just like greasin a pan for cookin

AngelOnHigh
11-04-2007, 02:30 PM
i used a soup can to put the wax in... then in a pot of boiling water... that is the way i learned to do it... worked for me... lol.

i did a lot of glass decorating (like pretty wine glasses and such) then made candles in them. was a wonderful gift.

skibunnie64
11-04-2007, 02:38 PM
that is a great idea

Babzz
11-04-2007, 02:42 PM
great idea.. thanks
so far so good /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LettuceLady
11-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I HIGHLY recommend soy over paraffin. Im using up all of my Yankee candles and will never buy paraffin again! Soy candles last twice as long because they burn slower and longer, they are basically soot free, they burn evenly (no uneven ring) and they are better to burn around people with breathing problems.

YouTube has some videos on candle making that are a great help!

LettuceLady
11-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Soy Candle Making (http://http://www.soya.be/soy-candle-making.php)

AngelOnHigh
11-04-2007, 03:11 PM
another nice way to do candles is with ice! you put ice in a mold then pour the wax... the ice melts and you are left with these awesome holes in the candle and it looks amazing.

if you are using colours... pour some in, let it harden, then use another colour and make it different colours. you could even put the the mold on an angle so the colours are angular.

candle making is something that i love to do... and experimenting makes it way fun.

skibunnie64
11-04-2007, 03:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lady*Lettuce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HIGHLY recommend soy over paraffin. Im using up all of my Yankee candles and will never buy paraffin again! Soy candles last twice as long because they burn slower and longer, they are basically soot free, they burn evenly (no uneven ring) and they are better to burn around people with breathing problems.

YouTube has some videos on candle making that are a great help!

</div></div>

I love soy candles bought them once but can't remember where I got them from and I am sure I had the melting wax as well

LettuceLady
11-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Can you buy soy candle making kits in the Sault?

Little B
11-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Okay someone is bored. Making candles? Hello Babzz......Dollar Store!
Hey make a video of it for us and post it on youtube! Ok i guess I'm the bored one now.....(sigh).

Babzz
11-04-2007, 04:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L'il B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay someone is bored. Making candles? Hello Babzz......Dollar Store!
Hey make a video of it for us and post it on youtube! Ok i guess I'm the bored one now.....(sigh).
</div></div>

It was fun.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
They ended up with a little divet in the middle of the candles but i gonna fix that /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Babzz
11-04-2007, 04:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angel On High</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another nice way to do candles is with ice! you put ice in a mold then pour the wax... the ice melts and you are left with these awesome holes in the candle and it looks amazing.

if you are using colours... pour some in, let it harden, then use another colour and make it different colours. you could even put the the mold on an angle so the colours are angular.

candle making is something that i love to do... and experimenting makes it way fun. </div></div>

that sounds cool.. thanks

Evangeline
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
zellers has soy candles

Macs II
11-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I hate the smell when you blow out candles ....yep another thing macs hates /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Babzz
11-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I just lit one that i made today /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
smells wonderful!!

MCFAYTER
11-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Also after your candles are dry, Use a pair of clean panty hose or nylons and rub your candles with them and they will give them a really nice shine. Keep them for your next batch of candles. I used to make them and it is a lot of fun. Good Luck and be Careful. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

Babzz
11-05-2007, 07:45 AM
thanks /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Simba
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L'il B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay someone is bored. Making candles? Hello Babzz......Dollar Store!
</div></div>

LMAO!!! Sorry Babzz, I had to laugh at that one!

Babzz
11-05-2007, 12:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L'il B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay someone is bored. Making candles? Hello Babzz......Dollar Store!
</div></div>

LMAO!!! Sorry Babzz, I had to laugh at that one! </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I will post the video I made of melting wax soon /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smokin.gif