PDA

View Full Version : Networking / IT opportunities in the Sault.....

opinionated
11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I know there's a few in the industry that read this forum, so I was just wondering what kind of opportunities there were in the Sault?

I'm currently attending a joint program at Carleton University and Algonquin College getting a degree in I.T. and a diploma in Networking, and would love to be able to move back to the Sault when I'm done, but I have never really seen much as far as 'networking' goes in the Sault other than maybe OLG or working for an ISP which is why I ask. (I know there are a lot of 'network technician' type jobs...but is there anything more?? network architects for example? Something that wouldn't be wasting the degree portion of my program)

Any more questions about my program, comments, or whatever...please feel free to reply.

Thanks a lot!

MagicFingers
11-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I too would be very interested. I have recently moved here from Ottawa. I have experience in programming (from Algonquin College) network admin (for 5 yrs) and project management from a web 2.0 startup company in Ottawa.

I unfortunately haven't had much luck in finding something here in the Sault. Have applied several times to OLG, and several other places with zero luck. so if anyone has any idea, I to would be very appreciate some ideas.

Thanks

403_forbidden
11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Sault Ste. Marie is a tough market for IT type jobs...did you apply to places like the steel plant and some of the computer stores around town? As far as network design etc....you probably have to stay out of the Soo and stay in the bigger centres like Toronto etc....

tired-n-cranky
11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
As much as I would love to move my family up to the Soo, since that is where my wife is from and all her family is up there, I doubt I would find a Network Engineer job up there paying as much as I make in Waterloo.

MagicFingers
11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
yep, I moved up here because of my girlfriend since her family lives up here.

I've applied to the steel plant up here, and such. Although as most people know, it's not what you know, but who you know. I think I might also be at a disadvantage since I don't have any certifications. (I never needed them in Ottawa, since there are TONS of people that have "paper" MCSE's and such, but don't actually know anything)

I might have to take a job at a puter store, at least for now, I certainly won't like it, and it'll be a pay cut from my EI even, but until I can get my name around town, I don't see many other options...

Not for the first time, I do miss Ottawa.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tired-n-cranky
11-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Don't count on getting too much without certifications or proof you can do the job (experience).

I currently have a large range of certifications, ranging from Microsoft, to Sun, to Juniper, to Astaro, VMware, and Cisco coming soon.

That is why I am the top network guy at my employer, responsible for all across Canada (over 1000 employees, and 20 something office locations).

It also does not hurt that I have over 15 years of experience in IT, the last 8 have been in Networking, started out working in a NOC (Network Operations Center), and am now Senior Network Engineer.

MagicFingers
11-10-2007, 01:11 PM
like I said, no certs, but I have been in the industry for 10+ years. And I have to admit, something that I enjoyed the most was my networking admin position. (I was in charge of 2 offices, of about 110 people, Novell servers). I'm hoping to get back into that, I found it very rewarding.

Verotik
11-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Ontera had an office in town with a network design job, but has since moved all that work back to north bay

Verotik
11-29-2007, 11:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MagicFingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yep, I moved up here because of my girlfriend since her family lives up here.

I've applied to the steel plant up here, and such. Although as most people know, it's not what you know, but who you know. I think I might also be at a disadvantage since I don't have any certifications. (I never needed them in Ottawa, since there are TONS of people that have "paper" MCSE's and such, but don't actually know anything)

I might have to take a job at a puter store, at least for now, I certainly won't like it, and it'll be a pay cut from my EI even, but until I can get my name around town, I don't see many other options...

Not for the first time, I do miss Ottawa.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

exactly it is who you know in this town, go to those free lunches put out by the innovation centre, grr i love seeing my taxdollars buy people free lunch.

blueeyedgirl
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.ospreycareers.com/view_career.asp?fromPg=quick&caid=776860
IT job at the Tube mill