PDA

View Full Version : HELP!

MiKeY2
11-05-2007, 11:42 PM
here is the situation. my wife and son were getting ready to have a bath, but we had heard what sounded like water running underneith our house. We don't have a basement, we have a crawlspace. so i ran out and went to look under the house only to see a fountain of water gushing up from the ground! i listened to it and it gushed water for 9 seconds, then stopped for 5, then started again for 9 seconds, and so on. But another sound i heard sounded like a machine kicking on just when the water began to spray. about 20 minutes ago the wife said it wasn't taking its 5 second brake anymore so i ran down to check it out again, but this time i went straight to where the water was comming from. it wasn't spraying out like it was, but i was like a machine in the middle of my house in the ground and it was almost as if it was churning the water. it looked like it was comming in the upper direction, but stayed pretty well at the same position. Any suggestions and what the heck is going on??!!

GRUMPY
11-05-2007, 11:46 PM
sounds like a broken pipe to me

mboy67
11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
do you live in town? it sounds like a pump type system. If so check your breaker panel and see if you have one labelled water pump or something like that. Turn that off and you will then have to find out what is leaking to fix it.

Macs II
11-05-2007, 11:51 PM
My question is also ...is this in the city with city services?

MiKeY2
11-05-2007, 11:58 PM
yes we live in the city. We just bought our house in May and were informed by our sales agent that the house had a history of plumbing/sewer problems but it had apparently been fixed. The day we moved in our neighbour came over to ask when we were going to be selling again because no one ever lives here for anymore then a year because of those problems... we never had any worries or anything until this happened tonight.

Macs II
11-06-2007, 12:00 AM
would this be Bayview west end area ?

MiKeY2
11-06-2007, 12:03 AM
No not in bayview, we live by easy cab right before the underpass.

Macs II
11-06-2007, 12:09 AM
well it's kind of a mystery problem. Since you dont have a basement there is no sump pump, that leaves only the water and sewage lines .Broken water line would leak all the time non stop so I doubt that its that. Broken sewage line could back up from all the rain we had, but also means you have broken pipe under the house and thats unlikely if non of your neighbors haven't had any problems with back up.

b&aMom
11-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Call the city's Public Works after hours number.

Macs II
11-06-2007, 12:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b&aMom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call the city's Public Works after hours number.
</div></div>

City is not responsible for anything on your property ...it will cost you

hemi_69
11-06-2007, 12:20 AM
theres a really good chance that there is a sump type system under the house in the crawlspace. my mom use to live in a house with a crawlspace and had to put in a drainage pump as in the spring thaw and heavy fall Rains the crawlspace would flood whic started causing huge problems with the structure of the house as everything was washing away and shifting etc. take alook under there with a flash light and see what you can find but if there is a sump type system under there all the rain we have been getting would surely cause it to run consistantly

msmiths
11-06-2007, 12:22 AM
macs

a question what about improper drainage from below, coming back up such as drainage tiles around the house

this is happening in accordance to all the rain yes

Macs II
11-06-2007, 12:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemi_69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres a really good chance that there is a sump type system under the house in the crawlspace. my mom use to live in a house with a crawlspace and had to put in a drainage pump as in the spring thaw and heavy fall Rains the crawlspace would flood whic started causing huge problems with the structure of the house as everything was washing away and shifting etc. take alook under there with a flash light and see what you can find but if there is a sump type system under there all the rain we have been getting would surely cause it to run consistantly </div></div>

yeah it sounds little like a sump pump problem but I have never seen a sump pump in a house where there is no basement ..what would be the purpose of it ? I guess there could be some houses with some type of sump pump system thought.

GRUMPY
11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
to get the water out from under the house

mboy67
11-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I have seen them. Some houses have part of the ground dug out so you end up with low spats that collect the excess water. If this is the case A pump would be put in to help keep that area dryer.

Looks lick the only way to know is to get right under the house and have a good look.

Macs II
11-06-2007, 12:32 AM
yeah I agree there has to be something like a pump to make noise and pumps don't run all the time so it would make sense.

MiKeY2
11-06-2007, 12:49 AM
well, when i went down there the last time, i got right up to the machine or whatever is down there. it seemed to have the water a little more under control. at first it was like watching a fountain in the middle of a river, then would stop, then start again. but when i went down there, it wasn't shooting all over the place, but it was like a box, with something round in the middle and water was running in there. it was like something was doing sumthing in there but the water was heading upward but staying at the same level and it is contantly running instead of start, stop, start, stop. maybe it is a sump pump and it was backed up or something? i have no idea, but i am going to try and call the lady i bought the house from and see what she can tell me. until then any suggestions, advice or information is still greatly appreciated. and thanks to all who have responded so far.

msmiths
11-06-2007, 12:51 AM
do you have a submersible pump just in case, so you can drop it sown and feed away from the house

Macs II
11-06-2007, 12:54 AM
if there is a pump down there ..most likely the pipe/hose attached to it let go and thats why it's shooting water up and the water wasn't going anywhere thats why it keeps running.

mboy67
11-06-2007, 12:57 AM
yep it sounds like it's a sump pump under there.

Macs II
11-06-2007, 01:01 AM
It's hard to answer these kind of questions without seeing it ...almost like when someone asks ..my car won't start whats the problem

binky
11-06-2007, 03:50 AM
if it's a sump pump and water shoots up then the hose from the sump pump is detached.

gouligann
11-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Just to bring up a point if it IS a sump pump...what's to stop it from freezing once our really cold weather hits?

Ask the former owner what they did through the winter. You might need to build an insulated box around it and an 100 watt light bulb hanging to keep it from freezing. That's what we've done to keep our water pump from freezing.

(((Be careful...Don't do this if there's any danger of the electricity touching water or your floor joists /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )))

MiKeY2
11-06-2007, 02:13 PM
found out the problem. yes it was a sump pump, but the problem was the foot or something like that went out on the pump. it was recently so i couldn't ask the origional owners, since it seemed to have happened during my watch. the hard part is half the plummers dont do those types of repaires and all others are booked for months or want $150 to step foot in my driveway since its more of an emergancy call since its getting ready to flood up into my house within the next couple days.

GRUMPY
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Do it yourself, it isn't brain surgery.