PDA

View Full Version : Bell now officially throttling P2P

Hans
11-10-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9544

Adding itself to the small-but-growing list of ISPs that admit to traffic shaping, Canada-based Bell Simpatico has confessed to using “traffic management” on heavy users “during peak hours.”

According to the administrator, Bell Simpatico’s traffic shaping affects an unmentioned number of applications and protocols, including BitTorrent, Gnutella, Limewire, Kazaa, eDonkey, eMule and WinMX.

Time to stand up to these practices and get the laws changed, forcing ISP to state the actual speed rather then the "up to blah blah based on blah blah speed"

Strife
11-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Sounds like something that Bell would do. I hear Bell is getting alot of flack because they upgraded everyone from their 5 MB connection with no download cap to the new 7 MB connection with a 30 GB cap. Pretty shady if you ask me.

Miles From Nowhere
11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Not sure what to make of this, but the Canadian Recording Industry Association has threatened and scared the popular torrent site demonoid.com into blocking all Canadian ISP's.

http://www.demonoid.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.</div></div>

tired-n-cranky
11-10-2007, 08:35 PM
It isn't just Canadian ISP's. That was two months ago, old news. Now it is everyone, the site is gone.

Strife
11-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Demonoid was turning into crap anyways. The site was getting slower because of the ads and other junk. Plus the same file was nuked and re-uploaded a million times. Same falls true for Torrentspy. I am surprised if I dont see any form of nudity in the form of an ad on that site (although I dont mind any which way, just stating a fact)

General Lee
11-11-2007, 12:37 PM
torrent leach is still up and running

still fast to get things
\

Strife
11-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah....TorrentLeach rocks!

Quick Slice
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM
anyone know how to create a username on torrentleech &gt;?? I can't find anywhere to sign up

General Lee
11-11-2007, 03:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quick Slice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know how to create a username on torrentleech &gt;?? I can't find anywhere to sign up </div></div>

and you won t they are closed for new comers and the invites are disable

Strife
11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah......thats the beauty of a private tracker. Limited members which equals better releases.

tired-n-cranky
11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Yup private trackers are much better. My fav is Bitspyder, mostly because I am a Tech geek and they have the best elearning materials.

Strife
11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
The speeds on TorrentLeech are awesome. When I had Shaw Extreme, I was downloading at 1 MBps. It was great! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Quick Slice
11-11-2007, 07:48 PM
so what am i supposed to do?

Strife
11-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Well I'm not sure about BitSpyder but Torrentleech has disabled all invites and new signups. I know you can go to http://www.mininova.org or http://www.torrentspy.com to download.

Strife
11-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh just a side note....torrentspy tends to have nudity in their ads on the site and most of the ads are sexually explicit. Just a heads up

Quick Slice
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
yeah, thanks, i use Torrentspy currently, just thought that If i find something better (as all you soonetters' would think) that I could have the same link, and have a user name, for ex.

I use Torrentspy as I said, but when I go to download a file, half the time at least it's sending me to another place like mininova.org or something like that... i guess that's the download site.

Strife
11-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah Torrentspy seems to be a link to most other torrent sites. On top of that, the ads are just outrageous. Its not the content of the ads, its just the amount of them.

***woooo 2500th post

General Lee
11-11-2007, 09:40 PM
torrentspy BLOWS

if i cannot find it on torretleach i use ISOHUNT

opinionated
11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
I miss OiNK!!!

thats all i have to say

tired-n-cranky
11-12-2007, 09:45 AM
All I have to say about Bell Sympatico is WHO CARES? With the number of ADSL providers in Ontario, BS is nothing. Move on to another one, save your self several bucks a month, and enjoy the freedom.

Hans
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I think it's more like "enjoy the freedom for now". If I am not mistaking, Bell is still providing their lines to the various other retailers out there. There's nothing to prevent Bell from unleeching their filtering software upon all the hardware that feeds those retailers...

tired-n-cranky
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Actually, that is incorrect Hans. All Bell is providing to the other providers is a physical link, nothing more. No IP connectivity. The filtering is done at layer 7 of the network stack, which Bell has no access to for DSL providers. Bell doesn't see the bandwidth usage for non-Sympatico users, since it goes out through the 3rd party providers uplink, not Sympatico.

However, one thing to be concerned of, is that Sympatico wants it that if you are banned from them, you are banned from ADSL entirely, including private providers.

Hans
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
But the physical link is owned and operated by Bell, correct?

mboy67
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
try http://www.bitsoup.org

tired-n-cranky
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But the physical link is owned and operated by Bell, correct?
</div></div>

Yes, but trust me, it doesn't matter. They have no insight to the traffic going over it as it doesn't go over their network. CRTC rules... I know a lot about this stuff.

General Lee
12-19-2007, 11:32 PM
http://montrealtechwatch.com/2007/11/05/bell-confirms-p2p-traffic-shaping/

General Lee
12-19-2007, 11:32 PM
time to find a new ISP