PDA

View Full Version : dog has ripped at my heart...

kitca
11-15-2007, 06:06 PM
i saw the shelters adverts on channel 10 today and there was a dog there that is just tearing me apart. i cant stop thinking about her. she is a larger black dog. i dont know how old or anything about her, except that she was so scared she was just shaking and shaking. they said she is lovely when she trusts you, but she is very shy and scared in the shelter surroundings.

i feel for all of them, but there was something about this sweet scared girl that i cant stop thinking about.

any wonderful homes out there to give her lots of tlc?

GRUMPY
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I know what you mean, it has to be VERY stressful for the animals.The thing about this thing (in most cases) it doesn't take the dog long to determine how long it will take to train you, so once she sees that you are serious about being trained she'll calm right down.

snowwolf1972
11-15-2007, 09:56 PM
i do believe her name is Molly she broke my heart to my dog shakes that bad during a thunder storm and it bothers me to see her that way. Unfortunately i can't afford 2 dogs.

kitca
11-15-2007, 11:19 PM
do you know anything else abaout her?

snowwolf1972
11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
no but i bet you can call them and ask i think that she has been there for a long time

kitca
11-16-2007, 06:15 PM
poor girl. i sure cant take another one, everyone i know is full up too, but she just got to me, that one, so scared and shaking. thanks.

orchid
11-16-2007, 06:18 PM
i was at the shelter today and Molly seemed fine, and i don't think she's been there all that long, end of Oct. i think, i could be wrong, but her arrival date was on her card. she seems like quite the energetic girl! it may be that the TV camera made her a little nervous. there are a lot more dogs there now than the last time i was there...there were some new ones, and a few who have been there a while...there was this one husky mix, i can't remember his name offhand, but he was such a sweetie! he kept bringing his ball to me and putting it in my hand to throw it for him... reminded me of a dog i had years ago, looked a lot like him too... i can't believe how many animals end up in the shelter... its just so wrong...

kitca
11-16-2007, 11:02 PM
thanks for that update orchid. that makes me feel better for her, but oh, that dog who brought you his toy... - they are all so sweet and innocent.

GRUMPY
11-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Sorry I don't think its a matter of sweet or innocent at all. I firmly believe that they are aware of what goes on there and its their way of trying to get out of their before its their turn. Mine threw a bear hug on my leg when I got too near knowing that there wasn't anyway I could just walk away and leave her. They will do anything in their power to tug at your heart strings and can you blame them.Thats the main reason I can't go in there.

kitca
11-17-2007, 11:55 AM
WELL GRUMP, YOUR millie is the sweetest thing ever! i agree, they sure dont want to be there and do whatever it takes to make ou fall in love and take them home. but they are still sweet and innocent!

orchid
11-17-2007, 07:00 PM
just curious, what is it that goes on there grumpy? what do you mean by "their turn"? my impression was that they provide shelter to abandoned animals until they can find a home for them. it may not be like the holiday inn for pets but its better than fending for themselves, or being tied up in someones backyard, lonely and forgotten. i'm sure there are animals that don't get to go to a new home, but there may be a reason for that... maybe the dog was too aggressive and posed a potential threat to others, maybe the dog became ill while at the shelter... i think that they make every effort to find homes for the animals, but the sad reality is that not every animal is adoptable. if an animal has some sort of major behavioural issue, such as biting or if they have some debilitating disease, isn't it best to end their suffering rather than prolong it? and i doubt that a non-profit organization can put out the money to treat every sick animal they end up with. i'm not trying to pick on anyone, but i think some people have the wrong idea of what goes on at the humane society. they are people doing their best to help animals who would otherwise have no where else to go. i'm sure its not always a pleasant job either... just watch one of those specials on tv; the people who work at these shelters have to deal with a lot of unpleasant situations. i don't know how they do it, i doubt i could handle it. no doubt the animals there would rather be free, but i doubt they truly understand what they would be dealing with if not for the humane society...the elements, starvation, abuse, neglect, self preservation...anyway, just my opinion, maybe there is something more to it that i don't know about.

kitca
11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
orchard, i agree with you! i think grumpy was just making a joke about the animals wanting to get adopted and making us fall in love with them. i see him out walking his dog millie, who came from the shelter and i know he just loves her.

it is so sad that there is a pet overpopulation crisis and not enough good homes for the pets that are being born. it certainly isnt their fault, all they want to do is have a good life. it is really sad. i have a housefull right now, cant take anymore. 2 of them were strays who were never claimed. honey, sure had a hard and terrible life, in fact she was pretty close to death the fleas had all abandoned her as there wasnt enough of her left for them to feed on. every centimetre of her body was covered in bites and scabs. she has many health problems due to cronic malnutrition, but she is the sweetest and best dog and loves life to the fullest.

GRUMPY
11-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Right you are kitca,however they say that if your dog could talk it would be able to tell you everything that is going on in every house when you take them out for their walks their hearing is that good. So I'm convinced till somebody can proove me the opposite is true that they are aware of everything that goes on in there, including when animals are put down because of human stupidity.Yes it would be nice if all female dogs had the thrill of having at least one batch of pups however do the pups then deserve the thrill that is instore for them because there aren't enough homes for them. But back to the main point of the thread I sure hope this dog gets the loving home she truely deserves.

GRUMPY
11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
By the way kitca your dogs were truely blessed when you found them and I want to wish you and your's all the best not only for Christmas but the coming year.

kitca
11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
awwwe, thank you. i think im the one who is blessed to have them.

GRUMPY
11-17-2007, 11:24 PM
You SHOULD feel that way, after all they are all fine dogs. Makes you wonder what happened to them that they ended up in such a predicament when you found them. As with Millie I've never met a sweeter more smarter dog than her (but I might be biased) and yet even she ended up at the pound.

gouligann
11-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I wish our local vets would get together and donate X number of days (weekend, week, 4 days?) every year, and offer to spay dogs and cats for a very low price or (I'm dreaming) for free.

If they asked every incoming pet client for a donation towards this event, I'm sure they would find that a lot of people would gladly open their wallets for such a good cause. It sickens responsible pet owners like me, to see and hear of homeless animals. I'd gladly give $20-30 per year, if I knew it would cut down on the pet population. I know there is an organization that helps people with spay/neuter, but I think asking people directly at the vet counters, would increase the donations by far.

It just angers me that some people own animals without even considering getting them fixed because of the price. If they had to work at a shelter and watch the homeless animals being chosen for euthanasia, maybe a light bulb would go off in their heads.

kitca
11-21-2007, 04:00 PM
i know gouligan, wouldnt it be wonderful.

other places ive lived in all had lowcost spay/neuter clinics.

i seem to remember that it was our local vets who had a big problem with it. when denise liddiard (sp?) was running the shelter she tried really hard to get something going and they fought her right down.

i agree very strongly with you, if people had to be in that room and see innocent beautiful kitten, puppies, dogs, cats, brimming with life, deserving of a better life - getting euthanized - i think it would make a difference. it would just rip me up, i couldnt deal with it, in fact, i cant even think about it anymore it makes me so sad.