PDA

View Full Version : Who would deal with a fox?

leafs93
11-17-2007, 12:18 AM
The last few mornings I have been waking up to my dog's stuffed toys shredded all over the place outside. I figured it was a loose dog destroying all the toys, and just collected up the few remaining ones and stopped letting the dog take her stuffies outside.

Then I noticed my dog acting strange in the house. She started whining and pawing at the heat vents in the house. I don't have a basement, just a large crawl space, so I knew she could smell something down there. I just chalked it up to mice or possibly a squirrel and planned to check it out this weekend.

Well to my surprise it is a fox. And he is a large bold one. He shows no fear of light, noise, humans or the dog. The fox even has the dog acting weird. Usually she would chase or investigate but when she sees him she puts her tail between her legs and starts whining. She is normally a very nosey dog, she has been skunked, had a round with a raccoon, chased a buck out of my yard.....but this fox has her spooked so now I am concerned. I do live in the city limits, but it is not uncommon to see some wildlife in my yard.

Is there anyone to call who may be able to trap this fellow and maybe put him where he belongs? I am not looking for someone to kill him, he is not causing me any problems, I just don't want the dog and the fox to have a go round. Plus my neighbours keep chickens and rabbits and I dont' want them to start leaving poison around.

Any ideas?

kitty&mimi
11-17-2007, 08:56 AM
mnr
you would call the office on church st

TPK
11-17-2007, 11:21 AM
You can rent live animal traps. It's usually posted on Sootoday.com. I would be very careful with the dog until you get the fox out of there because Fox can carry Rabies.

kitca
11-17-2007, 12:58 PM
there was a trapper we used at work for the racoons. he will take the animals out to a safe place or kill them, it is your choice. i can find out his name if you like, you definatly need to get him out of there. hopefully he wont just come back though, afterall, he has made your place his home.

i feel bad for them, we are encroaching so much on the animals territory they have to adapt. hopefully it can have a happy ending for you and the fox.

leafs93
11-17-2007, 02:16 PM
I feel bad too Kitca. Not the foxes fault that he has found a good place to eat and a warm place to sleep.

My dog is up to date on all her shots, but I still wouldn't want the two of them having a fight.

Thanks for the help Kitca, if it is not too much of a problem to find out I would greatly appreiciate it.

Sara
11-17-2007, 05:15 PM
You can call the Humane Society for the name of the trapper that they use. He comes and traps the raccoons from our store every year and he releases them in behind Echo Bay somewhere afterwards. I can't find his contact info in my book right now but the HS will give it to you.

orchid
11-17-2007, 06:59 PM
call gary reid with the trappers association...i don't remember his number offhand but i know the people at the shelter have it. when you call him if you get an answering machine leave a message and wait for him to contact you...

kitca
11-17-2007, 07:51 PM
hi leafs, it was gary reid. good luck.

kitty&mimi
11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
oh i didnt know about the trapper, ya i would contact him first /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

PrairieDog43
11-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Take a look at this article....

http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=14923

And please, make sure the trapper doesn't kill him. ANY animal deserves to live. Make sure they release him.

leafs93
11-18-2007, 02:51 PM
thanks for the information. I will call tomorrow and check it out. I don't want him killed, he isn't causing me any harm, he needs to be put back in the wild.

I read the ariticle, I am no where near the east end, opposite end of town. He was back outside yesterday in my driveway, he is not afraid of the vehicle either.

LIKETOWIN
11-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I just was reading on soo news the fos has been seen and killing other animals it was seen carrying a large cat in its jaws dont let your pets out side in the east end.

leafs93
11-18-2007, 04:14 PM
The one I am talking about is in the West End....so I would be careful about letting your pets out on this side of town also. This one here is a big bold fellow too.

PrairieDog43
11-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Another news story, about the east-end.

http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=14927

Again I say, make sure they are relocated, NOT killed.