PDA

View Full Version : East End Predators

11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Will Your Pet Become Prey? (http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=14927)

Coyotes are members of the dog family (canids) which includes wolves, jackals, coyotes, dogs, and foxes.
Coyote Facts (http://depts.washington.edu/natmap/facts/coyote_712.html)
So seeing as the ministry won't do anything, couldn't they or the city be charged with keeping an exotic animal within city limits? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
The by-law states exactly states that <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All Canids, except the domestic dog</div></div>are prohibited.

ANIMAL CONTROL: A by-law to prohibit the keeping of certain kinds of animals. (http://www.city.sault-ste-marie.on.ca/contentadmin/UserFiles/File/By-Laws/81-180.pdf)

J*B
11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
A person in a trailer park north of town had about a dozen cats that that they let run wild all the time and were wreaking havoc on flower gardens etc. They were starting to be a real concern and within a few weeks there were no more than 3 or 4 left and everyone wondered where they got to. A neighbor found some bones with bite marks about the size of a coyote, and then others started to see coyotes around so I guess they are plentiful all over the area.

bluekrissyspikes
11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
yup, natures way of controling the cat overpopulation

FuZzY
11-19-2007, 01:32 PM
if i see any in my area ill have the pellet gun out. or live traps. not gunna let them get my dog

Barney Rubble
11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
where i work, there lives a family of 12 or so sharp-tailed grouse & the odd jack rabbit.
i'm starting to wonder about setting of snares or something

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dancingqueen
11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short _Circutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So seeing as the ministry won't do anything, </div></div>

Wouldn't this be just like me going into work and saying "don't stop paying me, but I won't be doing anything"

*Angel*
11-19-2007, 08:57 PM
If people cared they would just leave their poor cats inside and monitor their dogs when they are outside

Its neglectful Pet owners This happens to

dancingqueen
11-19-2007, 09:04 PM
that is true, but my mother just told me a story about a little girl who was biking home on the reserve and she was surrounded or semi surounded by a pack of Coyotes she backed off and made it home... I will have to find out where she got this from. But it is not just pet owners that need to be careful... and the city should be doing something about this!

11-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Wild Encounters -More Added (http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=14938)

So maybe it'll take a child being injured or killed before something is done? What then? Sue the MNR?

11-20-2007, 12:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is true, but my mother just told me a story about a little girl who was biking home on the reserve and she was surrounded or semi surounded by a pack of Coyotes she backed off and made it home... I will have to find out where she got this from. But it is not just pet owners that need to be careful... and the city should be doing something about this! </div></div>Which reserve?

Macs II
11-20-2007, 12:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup, natures way of controling the cat overpopulation </div></div>
I wish nature would control the dog population too

dancingqueen
11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short _Circutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is true, but my mother just told me a story about a little girl who was biking home on the reserve and she was surrounded or semi surounded by a pack of Coyotes she backed off and made it home... I will have to find out where she got this from. But it is not just pet owners that need to be careful... and the city should be doing something about this! </div></div>Which reserve? </div></div>

Right across from White Pines across the tracks.

I have sent an E-Mail to Dave O... I encourage everyone to do the same untill something gets done...
I catch the bus at 10:00pm not far from the seage plant here along Queen East... It is sad that I have to be worried for my safety to go to work...
Although I would imagine the chances slim of a pack attacking an adult, with continued exposure to the city they are only goi9ng to get more and more brave /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif
How is it that the gov't agencies say there is nothing they can do about it???

Craig Huckerby
11-20-2007, 12:58 PM
see story "picture proof" we have it on http://www.soonews.ca

kitty&mimi
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
on the mnr website it says they deal with wild animals
wtf???
is a coyote not a wild animal?
it's not freaking domesticated
keep your garbage inside! put it out on the day of collection and not the night before
keep animal food inside
keep animals inside
maybe they'll "go away" if no food source is available

AmdWolfman
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
From what I here is that the reserves have had dogs running around .

sage
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
The problem is the new highway, it has corrupted their natural habitat & with the new opening they are looking for food and coming into the city now. Beware! They gonna eat you!!!!!!! Especially if your wearing fur or your short. (just kidding)

Maryms
11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Grab a weapon and kill them all to extinction.

bluekrissyspikes
11-20-2007, 01:34 PM
no one's gonna do anything about it, even if you do complain. and if they do they'll just trap them and release them 20 min away so they can come back. it's getting to be like that all over northern ontario....look at elliot lake, bears walk down the streets at will and all they do is tell you to watch your pets and don't leave garbage out....if the mnr does get involved they'l probably wait until they have no choice and something bad happens, then come in and kill the animals, which isn't very fair either as they are wild and don't know they are causing trouble.....

EyelashExtensions
11-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I think one of the greatest things about living in the Sault is the nature that surrounds us. Maybe because of where I live and we deal with this sort of stuff all the time I don't see the problem. I can't allow my daughter outside unsupervised....I'd rather have my eyes on her all the time anyway. Our cats aren't allowed outside, thats the way it should be in the first place. If animals are overpopulating or coming into city limits for food its a nuisance but if they were going extinct than everyone loves them and wants to help them.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I think the sense is that it involves everyday life here in the respect of every little task. I have heard from people saying that they come out from no where when people are going to their vehicles or putting out their garbage or cutting the grass. It's pretty hard to protect against a pack of animals that are vicious....

newman
11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I have seen numerous foxes over the years within city limits but never a coyote.

EyelashExtensions
11-20-2007, 02:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The 6th Member Of AC/DC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the sense is that it involves everyday life here in the respect of every little task. I have heard from people saying that they come out from no where when people are going to their vehicles or putting out their garbage or cutting the grass. It's pretty hard to protect against a pack of animals that are vicious.... </div></div>

I just read on soonews and I can see the concern now. I just hope they try to relocate the animals far from the city and that they don't kill that many animals.

MaO3
11-20-2007, 02:27 PM
The MNR say's its not thier job. If you have a problem with them - (fox or coyote) you have to contact a trapper at your own expense.

EyelashExtensions
11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
In a way I can understand that. Could you imagine how much time and money would go into nuisance animals if they had to deal with every person that called about a wild animal. Although I think when it is a pack of large animals that it should be the MNRs responsibility.

leafs93
11-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Well for the sake of the wild animals, the MNR should get involved. How long before the public tries to rectify the problem themselves? I know where I live we have a large bold fox running around (and I am not in the east end) and certain neighbours are talking about laying out poisoned bait because the fox is a nusciance. Nice to hear when you own a family dog that could come into contact with poison by no fault of it's own. So far I have been lucky either that or my neighbours have seen some common sense.....but how long will that last?

dancingqueen
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
FYI, I sent a letter to Dave O last night and got a responce today.:
Dear Mr. *******:

This is to acknowledge receipt of your email. We have brought this issue to the attention of the local Ministry of Natural Resources office and are awaiting their response. Our office will be in touch with you once a response is received.

Thank you,

Lil Vagnini, Assistant

David Orazietti, MPP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 8:17 PM
To: Orazietti_David-MPP-CO
Subject: Coyotes and foxes in our neigbourhood

Recently there has been many sightings of foxes and Coyotes wandering our neighbourhood. I live on Carlbert Street which is home to many small children and happy families with cats and dogs. What is going to be done about this problem? I have some seriouse concerns since I live close to Queen Street East where there is little lighting and close to bushy areas Espesially when I have to catch a bus at 10:00pm so close to such areas. I am not the only one who is afraid of this, These are wild carniverous animals that kill to survive. My Sister's friend lives on Forneir in an apartment building that has posted warnings talking about a little girl riding her bike and being surounded by Coyotes Apparently this girl knew enough not to panick and made it home alive. I don't know how acurate this story is, but it is not far out of the realms of possibility. I had read in an article that the city intends on doing nothing about this, if this is true I am asking this to be reconcidered, because it is not just ets I am worried about, but also children now.

Thank you,

Chris *******

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.1/1141 - Release Date: 20/11/2007 11:34 AM

It may not be much good yet, but once a responce comes from the MNR if it is not an effective resolution, I will go up the chain of command. This cannot be aloud to happen, this is exactly why we pay taxes