PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting the high-speed you're paying for??

403_forbidden
11-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Anyone catch this on Market Place the other night....it's about the BS that the major ISPs are saying they are giving us....it's something that we all knew but it's interesting to check out....check out the CBC Marketplace video:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/11/21/speed_bumps/#comments

BELL Sympatico is the worst due to customers being too far from DSL switching stations.....also the worst customer service....in general the cable providers seem to deliver closer to the theoretical speeds....

Maryms
11-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I get what is paid for from BELL a 5MB service and 96% of the time it is at 4200-4300 constantly. I also get 500-525kb download speed very consistantly on many servers, but of course some servers cap their downloads so in that case you can only get what the server puts out.

403_forbidden
11-22-2007, 05:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NuGcAt-SiSyRc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get what is paid for from BELL a 5MB service and 96% of the time it is at 4200-4300 constantly. I also get 500-525kb download speed very consistantly on many servers, but of course some servers cap their downloads so in that case you can only get what the server puts out.
</div></div>

Actually Bell doesn't have a 5Meg service...it is bumped up to 7Meg....

Maryms
11-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I am still on 5MB as it is not in this area yet, like in the sault.

Maryms
11-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I am still on 5MB as it is not in this area yet, like i mean it is not the sault yet.

shadowjak
11-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Still waiting for Fiber optic.on shaw extreme for now.no problems yet.

Shawn
11-24-2007, 09:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadowjak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still waiting for fibre optic.on shaw extreme for now.no problems yet. </div></div>

I don't see fibre to the curb in the Sault for a while... unless someone teamed up with say the PUC to get something going... We have fibre to the curb in Sudbury, but its a lot cheaper from what I hear to run it down there. We also teamed up with a couple of companies down there like Sudbury hydro...

Basically you need enough customers per km to make it feasible... the Sault has some pretty high costs on the pole's so basically you would have to have 1 customer min per pole that you intend to run the fibre on... thats not even covering the cost of the fibre itself...

Maryms
11-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Shawn:

When is Vianet going to have a T1-T3 or higher for public consumers?

Shawn
11-24-2007, 11:40 PM
You can buy one anytime... just call our sales department during the week... I will tell you now... they are not cheep, but we are still cheaper than others like bell who offer the same service... But I don't see T1-T3 becoming a home user thing either... I would figure fibre would be more feasible in the case of a large scale roll out... T1-T3 is nice because its not limited by distance as much as SHDSL... the one I have been using on short distances like 3km or less is SHDSL... I have been getting 5Mbps symmetrical and 10Mbps symmetrical over bonded pair... Its a lot cheaper, just as reliable as a t1-t3 on short distances distance...

The cost of the router and equipment to make a DS1-DS3 work are just usually too much for the avg consumer so anyone who wants one can have one... but realize there is a lot more that goes into it and a lot more reliability factored into it than a home connection... DS1-3 and LDDS both have a mean time to resolution of 4 hours... normal home dsl on the other hand is 48 hours... This means that most cases are resolved in 48 hours for dsl... and in 4 hours for DS1-3 and LDDS...

\m/ Rich \m/
11-25-2007, 08:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: There's no Place Like 127.0.0.1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NuGcAt-SiSyRc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get what is paid for from BELL a 5MB service and 96% of the time it is at 4200-4300 constantly. I also get 500-525kb download speed very consistantly on many servers, but of course some servers cap their downloads so in that case you can only get what the server puts out.
</div></div>

Actually Bell doesn't have a 5Meg service...it is bumped up to 7Meg.... </div></div>

Hate to burst your bubble, but im on the 5 meg service as well. I've had it for over a year now. No download limit, and screw their 7 meg service.. theres a download limit i will happily take my consistent 4.5 mbit and abuse it all i like, rather than having 7 meg and some phone tyrant up my arse about bandwidth usage.

My current ISP/plan works well for me.

Maryms
11-25-2007, 10:05 AM
There's no Place Like 127.0.0.1 i know what your saying though as Bell no longer has a 5MB service to offer people as the bumped it up to the 7MB service for anyone who is wanting to get bell now, problem is the people who can't get a 7MB service because of their telephone lines will get what the call a UP TO 7mb service which in turn the person will pay for a 7mb service, but only get 5mb or 4.3-4.5 cause the bell lines.

Example:

They state that in my area i can not get the 7mb service, but they will upgarde me if i wanted to do so. I laughed and stated "you mean to tell me i have to pay for a 7mb service with the capped download per month to only get 5mb of service in my area" and of course the person at bell said yes only until the area was upgraded itself. I laughed again and stated it took 15 years to upgrade it from dial-up to high-speed... lol

Strife
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
The only reason why Bell wants everyone off the old 5 MB service is because they dont have a cap on it. When I had Bell a year back, My connection had unlimited bandwidth. Now their 7 MB connection has a cap that is much smaller than Shaw's, yet Shaw's Extreme is the same price if not lower.......sad really

Maryms
11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes ... bell is on the way out.

Shawn
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Well thats the thing too... you can get a 5 meg unlimited connection from a reseller like Vianet for less than what bell charges...

I have seen some connections being set to 6Mbps in some areas but nothing official yet on an increase that I am aware about... but like ya bell's Regular Price: $49.95/month for a capped up to 7Mbps service... where Vianet has an official up to 5Mbps without a cap... for 39.99.

I love the fact that bell says at my house I can get up to 7Mbps, but I can't even get light speed at my place I am that far... I tried DSL at my house for a month and I was just too far.

General Lee
11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thats the thing too... you can get a 5 meg unlimited connection from a reseller like Vianet for less than what bell charges...

I have seen some connections being set to 6Mbps in some areas but nothing official yet on an increase that I am aware about... but like ya bell's Regular Price: $49.95/month for a capped up to 7Mbps service... where Vianet has an official up to 5Mbps without a cap... for 39.99.
far. </div></div>

i pay less then that wil bell and get 5 megs

11-26-2007, 02:51 AM
How is Fibre to the curb any faster? The information will get to the curb faster?

I saw all the new development with fibre actually buried to the curb, and wondered what difference is.

Shawn
11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-pot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is Fibre to the curb any faster? The information will get to the curb faster?

I saw all the new development with fibre actually buried to the curb, and wondered what difference is.

</div></div>

Fibre to the curb just describes that it ends basically at your drive way... they don't run fibre right into your house in most cases... they put a junction box and just plug you into that from the pole or curb in the case you are describing...

There would be no difference from it being in the curb or on the pole... either way is good... just the one problem is that if you encase it in the concrete it is now stuck there and hard to repair, replace or upgrade... I can see it being buried beside the curb... that would make more sense...

A lot of Asian countries have now have fibre to the curb... we have more people using the internet per capita... but they have more dense areas allowing for fibre to be deployed much easier and more cost effectively...

Hans
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
What needs to be done is enact a law that sets minimum standards for ISP's with regards to speed, advertising and overall network performance. There's currently to much promises and advertising being made by various ISP's about the actual speed they offer and what they allow you to do with your connection.
When you take them up on it, they tend to hide behind the "it depends on to many factors out of our control" and the "up to speed x, which does not mean you will always get the speed we plaster all over our commercials"

Shawn
11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What needs to be done is enact a law that sets minimum standards for ISP's with regards to speed, advertising and overall network performance. There's currently to much promises and advertising being made by various ISP's about the actual speed they offer and what they allow you to do with your connection.
When you take them up on it, they tend to hide behind the "it depends on to many factors out of our control" and the "up to speed x, which does not mean you will always get the speed we plaster all over our commercials" </div></div>

Only way I see that happening is pricing per meg... no way you can guarantee everyone the same thing... like maybe do something like... Where if you are too far you get put on the next price point...

7Mbps = $49
6Mbps = $44
5Mbps = $39
4Mbps = $34
3Mbps = $29
2Mbps = $26
1Mbps = $22

But there is a flaw with this too... sometimes its also the customers computer and equipment that is the cause for the slowness... if its the customers equipment then it should go both ways... ISP's should get refunded for the troubleshooting if your router is bad or your computer... I know people like things only one way... but that sounds reasonable to me... I have been out onsite before and found routers only passing a 1/3 of the data that I can get when plugging directly into the modem...

Hans
11-28-2007, 08:56 AM
I would have no problem with a pricing strategy like the example you posted. 49$ for 7Mbps is a good price, but then that 7Mbps has to be 7Mbps 24/7 inside the ISP's network and you have to be able to verify that at any given time also.

I think Shaw is a good example of how not to do it. I have the 10 Mbps version, and using an external speed test I can get that 10 Mbps or very close to it. However, when I use their own internal speed test, I get 3-4 Mbps, which makes no sense.
Then there's the issue that the old Terayon modems don't give the bandwith the new ones give you, on the same pricing plan. But they will not tell you to change it over, you have to figure it out yourself.

12-10-2007, 01:28 AM
what i'm talking about is they had a coil of fibre from the side of the house to the ped outside.

mokitapupita
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
i got lite speed shaw and it just dies to nothing every once in a while

\m/ Rich \m/
01-05-2008, 09:28 AM
After 7 effin months of fighting, you're damn right i am. almost 200 bucks in credit by the time i was done, too.

LONG story.

\m/ Rich \m/
01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes its also the customers computer and equipment that is the cause for the slowness... if its the customers equipment then it should go both ways...</div></div>

This is where i disagree... If you're providing a service, and you provide a guarantee to this service, as long as the equipment meets the requirements, there is no both ways. regardless of the junk that is on the computer, the service should perform as expected.. and if it doesn't you troubleshoot it until you can absolutely determine it's not your service's fault, and at least provide your so called "valued" customer another avenue to have the issue resolved.

If you dont think that's fair, up your price another few bucks and advertise that your tech support will do just this.

General Lee
01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
bell 5 meg has a cap now too go log into your bell page and look under your usage

General Lee
01-05-2008, 10:22 AM
My Internet usage

My Bell page

Bills

My products & services
The Internet usage tracker helps you monitor your
Internet use. The monitor shows how many gigabytes
(GB) you have downloaded and uploaded during a
billing period.

My Internet service: High Speed
Included Internet usage: 60 GB

Internet usage for this period: 18-Dec-2007
Your downloads: 17.59 GB
Your uploads: 1.48 GB
Total Internet usage: 19.07 GB

Internet usage above plan: 0 GB
Billing rate for additional Internet usage $1.50/GB (Max $30.00)

Additional Internet usage charges: $0

Note: Current total Internet usage activity shown may be delayed by up to 60 hours.
Internet usage above plan shown is rounded down to the nearest 0.1 GB (100MB).

above is for last month or whatever here is a few months ago

This is in Aug

Included Internet usage: Unlimited

Internet usage for this period: 18-Aug-2007

Your downloads: 12.36 GB
Your uploads: 1.31 GB
Total Internet usage: 13.67 GB

Internet usage above plan: 0.00 GB
Billing rate for additional Internet usage 0

the ***REMOVED*** changed it with out me knowing

tired-n-cranky
01-05-2008, 10:31 AM
No comment about people who actually stay with BS anymore.. their pricing is outragious, and they have low caps.

General Lee
01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No comment about people who actually stay with BS anymore.. their pricing is outragious, and they have low caps. </div></div>

i am out in july ***REMOVED*** bell is what i say

mokitapupita
01-06-2008, 04:02 AM
NOT REALLY, HIGH-SPEED IS BETTER THEN LITE SPEED

Nihilistic Heathen
01-07-2008, 11:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bell 5 meg has a cap now too go log into your bell page and look under your usage </div></div>

Mine doesn't....

The Internet usage tracker helps you monitor your
Internet use. The monitor shows how many gigabytes
(GB) you have downloaded and uploaded during a
billing period.

Included Internet usage: Unlimited

Internet usage for this period: 18-Dec-2007 - 07-Jan-2008

Your downloads: 31.71 GB
Your uploads: 8.56 GB
Total Internet usage: 40.27 GB

Internet usage above plan: 0.00 GB
Billing rate for additional Internet usage $1.50/GB (Max $30.00)