PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO GET BACK 20% of YOUR BANDWIDTH FROM WINXP

Use2bYerd
11-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Click START / Run / and then enter gpedit.msc
This opens the group policy editor.

Then go to:
Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / QOS Packet Scheduler / Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the ‘Explain’ tab:

“By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.”

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.This is a specific tweak for PRO only.

DeleteAccout
11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Nice .... Very Nice

Hans
11-29-2007, 08:33 AM
I believe that's only true if you have QOS installed under TCP/IP properties. If you don't have it installed, it does nothing.

Verotik
11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Use2bYerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Click START / Run / and then enter gpedit.msc
This opens the group policy editor.

Then go to:
Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / QOS Packet Scheduler / Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the ‘Explain’ tab:

“By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.”

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.This is a specific tweak for PRO only.

lol looked and by default mine was already set at 0.

Maryms
11-29-2007, 11:47 AM
When i looked at mine it is not configured at all.

I use a TCP/IP program to tweak my settings and maybe that is why this is not configured now.

After readin abiut when it is not configured at all it means the system will still use the default 20%... so i enabled it and put it to 0 lets see if it does anything.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Use2bYerd
11-29-2007, 12:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NuGcAt-SiSyRc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When i looked at mine it is not configured at all.

I use a TCP/IP program to tweak my settings and maybe that is why this is not configured now.

After readin abiut when it is not configured at all it means the system will still use the default 20%... so i enabled it and put it to 0 lets see if it does anything.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
</div></div>
Yea go check at http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what you get.Ofcourse it's better to do the speed test first and see what you get then once you try the tweek check it again and you'll see the change.

Maryms
11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Nope not any better that what i had before changing to 0 and i go to this place and run the new york server.

4295/469

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

And at the place you listed i got.

4329/556 i ran the Toronto Server.

This is about what i always get on these server tests with and without the tweak. I even have got 4300 plus on the New York Server depends on what time of the day and how many people are running the test at that time as this will also determine the results.

So for people who are not getting good results before hand, may get better after this tweak, but for those who already get what they pay for it is no benefit.

I am on the 5MB service from Bell.

Keep in mind people that it will always depend on where your downloading from and what files and place your downloading from. If your not getting close to what i get on the 5MB bell service then call BELL and they will state the UP TO clause which means what it means.

403_forbidden
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that's only true if you have QOS installed under TCP/IP properties. If you don't have it installed, it does nothing. </div></div>

This is correct...that's why we don't load it in the PCs in our office........

Maryms
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Just to let you know QOS packet scheduler is installed on my connections and this tweak has no impact for me.

How to know if it is installed already.

1. Go into control panel

2. Open Network Connections.

3. Right Click your local connection that you use. Then click Properties, you will see it right there in the popup box whether it is or is not installed.

Use2bYerd
11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
The majority of people I know that used this tweek say they are really happy with the results.This tweek is supposed to be for XP Pro but people with home say it worked for them also so if it works for ya then great if not just set it back.For the people that don't really understand what this tweek does, as you may well know internet information is sent out in packets. these packets are prioritized.

20% of your bandwidth is set aside for these packets by default, that is used for non essential windows processes.

By reducing the bandwidth set aside for this you allow 100% of your bandwidth dedicated to what you want, not windows.

this setting does not harm your computer or compromise your OS.

but again if you don't like this tweak, simply follow the same procedures and "Disable" it.

Hans
11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes, if you have the QOS service installed under TCP/IP. And the drawback it will have is that when you use 100% of your band with, whatever else you wish to do is going to be crawling extremely slow.

Use2bYerd
11-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Under TCP/IP the setting has to do with the priority of the packets of data that is transfered. Not bandwidth.

I think it gets confused because in order to change the reserved bandwidth, you have to look inside a folder that has "QoS" in it.

If you are using wireless internet and you notice it may freeze from time to time, then un-checking that box could prevent it. (Just learned that one myself)

Your basically telling the computer that you want it to respond to your requests first instead of allowing Microsoft to butt it's data in front of yours.

With both enabled they work like this: The High priority Windows packets get to use the internet before you do(TCP/IP), and use bandwidth that is set aside directly for itself (reserved bandwidth).

By doing BOTH these tweaks you're making windows wait till you are done. Freezing stops and you have more bandwidth. Windows does what it has to when your finished.

Hans
11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
You are correct. That's why I said everything will come to a crawl when you use 100% of your bandwith, as all packets will have equal priority and therefore you will have a slowdown on all your traffic, including the traffic from the application you are trying to use.

Use2bYerd
12-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Well I don't know what to tell ya.What your assuming will happen mainly, that it will slow down to a crawl just hasn't happened in the slightest for me and of all the people I know that have used this tweek nobody has expierenced that either.

12-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Nothing is slow when your on Extreme speed!

Hans
12-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I get my 10 Mbit/sec from them without this patch :P

Use2bYerd
12-02-2007, 12:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get my 10 Mbit/sec from them without this patch :P
</div></div>
There ya go then.