Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car Starter

Default Re: Car Starter

Not exactly on topic but.....

The price of installation varies geatly depending on the make of vehicle. Most fords and GM's have a security system that must be bypassed by an additional module which is often as much as the starter itself. Auxiliary relays are also often required in order to make the door locks operate etc...This of course makes it difficult to compare prices (unless you compare with similar vehicles).

Starterwiz, what's involved in becomming a certified installer and which agency provides the certification? Feel freet to PM me if you prefer.....Thanks!

I have a car starter, but she is not getting out to start it earlier enough for my liking, I think I need a new one.

I had a car starter put in by Car Trek used for less than a year then I had Car Trek remove it so I could put it in my new vehicle, well when I got a quote to reinstall it was almost as much as the first installation with the starter and the bypass module. When I got a quote from Muntz they were cheaper by $100.00 and I did'nt even buy the starter from them ...go figure.
    Also when Car Trek removed the starter I did'nt get the bypass module back.I am not sure why. I still need to install it the starter but everyone is pretty booked up right now.

Ocean: I'm not sure why that is.
    Muntz usually won't do any starters that are not their own. If I removed your starter, I'm sure I would have given you all your parts back.
    Bypass modules are different for every car, so maybe I quoted you inncorrectly. I am very busy. Many new cars also have alarms that need to be armed and disarmed along with starting, or else you can lose the protection of these systems. Not everyone takes all these concerns into account.
    It is very unusual that anyone under-quotes me for like kind and quality, so I think you should call me.
    Everyone in town is over-booked this winter so call ASAP.
    Ice cream doesn't have bones.

T Pot..sounds like a programming issue, easier to get a new model but MUCH more expensive......

Emeraldlee:
    To become a certified installer, you need a license from the Ministry of Training, with 2000 hours of apprenticeship, and 16 weeks of in-school education.
    Grade 12 minimum, with strength in math and science.
    You need to be hired under a licensed tech to begin.

T-Pot
    I had a model like that once.

starterwiz: The module definitely was not in the bag.
    When we called Muntz we told them where we bought it and they had no problem to install it.We got these quotes last year from you and Muntz.. I don't know how busy you were then. We have had two starters installed by Car Trek with no problems. So when my husband asked you if it was worth keeping the starter you said yes definitely, but when we got a price to reinstall it did'nt make much difference in the price. Well maybe we will call you to get a price again and go from there..ok.

That sounds good.
    If you're happy tell your friends, if not tell me. I have very few unhappy customers, and if I do, I want to fix it.

Wiz, Is the Ministry you refer to The Mnistry of Training, Colleges and Universities? I didn't find any details on their website for this certification but suspect that this site / apprenticeship might be what you're referring to?
    http://www.apprenticesearch.com/fpTr...electronic.asp

Yep. That's it.
    Oops.I said 2,000 hours, but it's 4,000.

The remote I have for her is all worn from use. Maybe a newer model will come in handy.

There's something about a worn in model that just can't be replaced by a newer shiny one.
    Somehow they just seem to fit your hand so perfectly.

Yeah, fit your hand nice, untill they open their mouth! The newer models are easier to program!

The thing is that the newest models have a lot of options...way more than the older models, and you have to have up to date equipment to be able to program them.

But you can delete the firm ware.

LOL
    The firmware has already been deleted on the older ones. No fuss, no muss...just comfortable, reliable software operation. The newest models require upgraded hardware to perform properly.

Starterwiz

In a previous posting you mentioned that "Just a reminder that car starters must be installed by a licensed technician." Is this law or just strongly recommended? The reason I ask, I helped my dad install a remote starter about 2 years ago. We did it ourselves and it's worked great since. Just trying to figure out if there is a legal issue we didn't know about? Please let me know. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avionics007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Starterwiz

In a previous posting you mentioned that "Just a reminder that car starters must be installed by a licensed technician." Is this law or just strongly recommended? The reason I ask, I helped my dad install a remote starter about 2 years ago. We did it ourselves and it's worked great since. Just trying to figure out if there is a legal issue we didn't know about? Please let me know. Thanks. </div></div>

you can install yourself, no legal issues that im aware of. if there were they wouldnt sell them at walmart or canadian tire over the counter. these CHEAP starters are good for old pickups and older cars, but anything new is crazy to install in.
    I have installed a few of the bulldog brand ones on older vehicles.

The wife got me a nice 2-way car starter for my truck from ShutureFop.

Took FOREVER to get it in.

When i picked up my truck, half the gauge cluster lights were burnt out. They told me "buy new bulbs, bring them up here and we're change them for you."

New Sierra's have soldered on LED's. Gotta change the whole cluster, got a quote from the dealer for a new cluster + installation. $550. I showed the store manager at Futureshop, he was noooot impressed at all. Ended up giving me $550 cash on the spot.

I went on the net http://www.jpcustoms.com, bought a nice upgraded chrome Escalade cluster for $300, a nice new Flowermaster Super 40 muffler, and a new steering shaft!.

Thanks Futureshop!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information