Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My heart aches

Default My heart aches

So I decided I was ready for a new puppy, (hubby wasen't).
    I finally got him to agree but we missed out on the breed that I had wanted.
    Looking through local ads yesterday I found the same type of breed but a little older then what I had intended.
    My sister and I hopped in the car to go have a look at him. The amount the person wanted was astronimical. Here is a small breed dog, unpapered, no shots, unaltered.
    This poor little guy slept outside, was not allowed in the house and smelt to high heaven. He has what appears to be burn marks on different parts of his body, his ears were bleeding, I think frost bitten.
    After questioning her about the care of this poor dog, and what it would cost me in vet bills she still wouldn't budge on price.
    I told her sorry no deal, we left with tears in our eyes, drove as far as the nearest bank machine and returned to her house. We were gone maybe 10 mins, he was already tied back up outside, no shelter visable.
    I held him in my arms for the car ride home with the windows down and gagging all the way. My sister called the kids when we were almost home to say clear a path for downstairs. I shampooed him 3x and the water was still brown.
    Sadly by the time we finished the transaction the vets offices were closed, hopefully Monday I can get him in with Dr. Gunum.
    For the life of me, I don't understand people.
    He gets along well with my older poodle, and my daughters boston,he is smaller then both.
    I have put polysporin on the tips of his ears and hope to hell that they won't have to be removed. The hairless parts of his body the skin is intact.
    If anybody has any suggestions on what else I can do till Monday please I am willing to take any advice. He is 1 years old, happy as can be this morning, just a little rough looking.
    I don't believe he is housebroken as he hasen't had priveliges to the house before this.

Guru Power Poster

Default Re: My heart aches

I know it's hard not to, but for every puppy you "purchase" from a low-life like that, it just makes room for them to get another one. I know a lot of people that have purchased a puppy from a "breeder" just because they felt bad for it and the conditions it was living in.

I don't know if you did the right thing in that situation, but you definitely did the right thing for the dog. Kudos.
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

This wasen't purchased from a breeder. My intention was to get one from a breeder, this was an ad I saw on a local website. For the life of me, I could not walk away. He slept in the crate last night, I woke up to him crying at 6, he had pooped in there but I don't think he knows where hes suppose to go.

Guru Power Poster

Breeder, average joe pet owner...doesn't really matter. The people sound like the type that get cute puppies and get rid of them when they aren't cute anymore. I'm sure he'll be replaced shortly.

And I'm not trying to be mean or make you feel bad or anything. That's not my intention. I probably would have just taken the dog, myself lol

Becoming a Regular Here

this isnt the pug that a lady's daughter was afraid of or somethin is it?? You did the right thing.If they had any other dogs call the humane society

She went as far as paying only a 1/3 of the original price, far from the original asking price. I wish we could share more of what we saw. It was apparent immediate action had to be taken, not one night or one hour. I am still in shock, let me assure you, it won't stop here.

Here is a poem about my favorite proverb.....

Starfish Poem
    (Anon adaptation of L Eiseley's "The Star Thrower", from Usenet)

As I walked along the seashore
    This young boy greeted me.
    He was tossing stranded starfish
    Back to the deep blue sea.
    I said "Tell me why you bother,
    Why you waste your time this way.
    There's a million stranded starfish
    Does it matter, anyway?"

And he said, "It matters to this one.
    It deserves a chance to grow.
    It matters to this one.
    I can't save them all I know.
    But it matters to this one,
    I'll return it to the sea.
    It matters to this one,
    And it matters to me."

I walked into the shelter,
    The owner greeted me.
    She was helping Misty learn to trust.
    She was struggling I could see.
    I said, "Tell me why you bother,
    Why you waste your time this way.
    Misty's only one of thousands,
    Does it matter anyway?"

And she said, "It matters to this one.
    She deserves a chance to grow.
    It matters to this one.
    I can't save them all I know.
    But it matters to this one,
    I'll help her be what she can be.
    It matters to this one,
    And it matters to me.

please bring him to the humane society and show them his condition, give them the name and address of this horrible person and hopefully they can do something.

you sure did the right thing for that little dog. i would like to tie that owner up in the cold with no shelter or company or anything!

im glad you went back and got him. did she have any other pets?

edited to reword, and add owner, didnt sound right.

I don't think i could walk away either...too me its not about the breeder or owner....its about getting the dog out of there

what kind of dog?
    whats his name?

You have made a big difference in one little dog's world. You probably saved his life. Maybe the outdoor poop training won't take too long either. Just take him out lots during the day and crate him at night until he gets the right idea. Actually, if he has been outdoors all the time, you would think he might be easier to train since indoors is foreign to him. Good luck.

You can alert the shelter about the horrid conditions you found him in too.

Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Guru Power Poster

I didn't say she should have left it. I'd have been a hypocrite if I'd said that because I've done this myself...

Personally, I would have told the people what I thought of them, told them to give me the dog or I'd go to the police. Then I probably would have called the police, anyway. Humane Societies are useless, in my experience.

No, I know you didnt.
    If the HS wont do anything, who should she contact? Something needs to be done. If only the laws were strict when it comes to animals [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Guru Power Poster

I'd call the police. It's criminal to treat a dog like that. Hopefully, they'll do something.

Oh my god, this is so sad and sickening! I'm so happy you took this poor baby in to your heart and home. I couldn't have left it either. I would definitely call some kind of authority. It IS criminal what they are doing. There are laws against that kind of treatment to animals. And what's to stop them from getting another pet and treating it the same inhumane way? I'd be on someones doorstep with that dog(to show it's horrible condition), and their address. Arseholes!!
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

i would definitely contact the humane society and show them the condition the dog was in... you would have to fill out a witness statement outlining the incident but it would ensure that something got done about it. chances are the local police would refer you to the humane society anyway, unless it was a noise complaint about an animal.

well this is another HORRID dog story! AND YES THIS IS THE LADY who daughter was afraid of the dog, what you need to do is call the police or go to the station (with said dog) and make a report, IMED, then if you saw children there you need to make a childrens aid report ( i know no one thinks, but if one abuse and neglect a dog they are 78 percent mor likely to do the same to a child! or any other inoccent like a senior cit ) then call the Human society and make a written complaint there....please i beg you to them all, she wont stop here she has now made a profit! and know there is more money to be made PLEASE go! I will go with you if you want!

I think you should copy and paste the ad, they placed it for the public to see. Then let things take it's course.

The seller should be shamed, they deserve whatever ill feelings float their way.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Thank god we had been to the vets earlier in the day,( for my poodle and my sisters dogs), we had picked up some strongid-t for my sisters pup and gave him some last night. Sure as $hit he also has worms.

As far as housebreaking him, its only been 24 hours and 5 accidents. Unless I go outside with him he won't do anything. Even then very small amounts of pee then as soon as he is back in the house huge puddles. We have been taking him out at least every hour.
    Over all he is very cuddly and loveable, yet nervous about going outside.

If it is the same ad that I replied to, and I am sure it is, she is now asking for a kitten! She also stated her 2 year old was afraid of the pup, the pup was only 1, why wasn't the kid afraid before. Pugs have boggy eyes, that is the only reason I could think of for the kid to be fearful of the dog, but why now?

When I was talking to her on the phone, I got the impression that you are doing her a great favour in taking this dog, until you asked the price: a firm $600.00! She said it was "somewhat healthy and not fixed".

Happy to know "Cash" as she called him is in good hands now!
    Time is a great teacher, unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Guru Power Poster

The kid probably mauled it and the dog snapped and scared it. This woman shouldn't be allowed to have animals.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information