Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone want to do a christmas cookie exchange

Default anyone want to do a christmas cookie exchange

Anyone want to do a christmas cookie exchange? We used to have these at my work but don't do it anymore. If there is enough people, we could end up with a couple of dozen different kinds of bars or cookies. I find it alot easier to make one kind than 6-9 different kinds. Let me know. Ann
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

Default Re: anyone want to do a christmas cookie exchange

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Id be interested!! Give me some info!!

mdrs you have a pm.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

I'm Interested....this would be with home made baking right?

Absolutely! Unless your a crappy baker then you could use store bought but I don't know who would like it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

Guru Power Poster

I'd be more than happy to do this.....I hate baking six or seven different kinds of cookies etc...let me know where when and how and count me in!!!!
    Even if you fall flat on your face....at least you're still moving forward!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

me too! i am interested. only one question that i have. would these be sort of special cookies or just ordinary ones?

and would we make a list out so we dont all make the same thing?

Good idea, Kitca, once we have enough people we can post what kind we are going to make and you can make what ever kind you want but it is a Christmas cookie exchange. Anybody can make chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies but if you can make those kind extra special that would be fine too.

Becoming a Regular Here

I am having a cookie exchange with friends this year. Any suggestions on something that tastes good, fairly easy to make in a big batch and that people would like to recieve in a cookie exchange?

I want in on it, I figure it saves time and a nice big mess.

Chaotic Chick

My friends from work and I do that. It was great. My kids were so happy to have something different from what I usually bake lol.

Guru Power Poster

I'd be interested, but I guess it depends when the exchange is going to happen ....I'm only in town a few weeks here, a few weeks there...going to school out of town...but if it's in my time line..I'd definately be interested!
    You can just call me T.O.D!!!

Becoming a Regular Here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by my*two*cents:
    I am having a cookie exchange with friends this year. Any suggestions on something that tastes good, fairly easy to make in a big batch and that people would like to recieve in a cookie exchange?</div></div>You can make pinwheels which are the chocolate and vanilla swirl ones...

You can make small biscotti and make them special by dipping them in chocolate or doing a chocolate hazelnut one...one batch can make a lot of cookies.

Look up "spritz cookies" these are cookies that you make with a piping bag, they are therfore very fast. Take any recipe and dress them up with candied fruit, a piece of chocolate, icing sugar...

fried pastries are great...roll up some sweet dough fairly thinly then fry it. sprinkle well with icing sugar (or cinnamon sugar) again my recipe is metric!.....these are the types of things that you pop in your mouth with a coffee then you have another and another .

Another great suggestion are truffles, they are not that hard to make and are a great hit. I made them one year, one batch with bailey's one batch with Kalhua, one with orange liqueur...YUM....All you do is melt chocolate with a bit of cream, add your liqueur and let the chocolate cool to harden. Roll in your hands to make balls then roll in either icing sugar, cocoa, chocolate sprinkles.

I have a lot of great recipes from baking classes that I have taken but they are all in weighed measures instead of cups. Please let me know and I wil gladly post them. (It is actually worth it to buy a scale and work this way, way faster and more precise)

gotta play, It doesn't really matter too much when. I'm off two weekends a month and off other wise during the week. My weekends off in Dec are the 15th and 22nd but I'm off during the week other wise. We can have everything made and prepakaged for however many people that are in it and then set a date that is good for everyone to do the exchange and pick a place. We can bring a box to carry our goodies home. How does that sound? If anyone has any other suggestions let me know I'm open. If someone can't make it we can make arrangements to have their items brought to the exchange and pack their cookies in a box and drop them off or have them picked up.

Hi put me in for the Xmas cookie exchange. let me know when and how much we need to bring. Karen

Can you tell me more about it? How many of the one kind of cookie/bar would we have to make? When are you looking to do this? My mom and I would both be in for something like this, I think. It'd really be nice to have some different treats this year!

Could you post your recipe for fried pastry that sounds very interesting.
    Thanks
    I love these cookie exchanges we usually do one every year too.

Sara, As to how many to make we will have to wait and see how many people are interested. So far it looks like about 11 of us with you and your mother so if thats all we get then we would make 11 dozen of one type of dessert packaged up in one dozen packs on a christmas plate or a baggie or whatever bring all of it to one place and everyone exchanges and gets 11 dozen different christmas desserts! I will let everyone know how many to do if we give it maybe another two weeks to see if anyone else is interested. We will pick a time and place that is good for everyone, hopefully, and do the exchange maybe two weeks or a week before christmas. How does that sound? Ann

Sounds very.....yummy....to me. lol Count me in [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Becoming a Regular Here

the recipe for the fried pastry:
    250-300 gr flour (I think this is aqpprox 2 cups)
    3 egg
    30 gr sugar (2TBSP)
    25 gr butter (maybe one TBSP or so)
    5 TBSP sweetened condensed milk
    pinch of salt

oil for frying
    icing sugar

to make dough, beat eggs with sugar, melted butter condensed milk and salt. Hand beat until foamy
    add flour , knead well

let dough rest for 1 hour in a cool spot

cut in workable pieces and roll out as thinly as possible pull with hands to make more thin
    Fry one at a time, as it fries it makes wrinkles
    Sprinkle with icing sugar while still warm

**When I make these I generally roll out a bigger piece of dough the size of my cutting board then I cut this bigget piece into smaller pieces. Usually I like a size tht is approx 2" x 3" or so but you can do what you want. The I gently take each piece and gently sttretch it more being careful not to rip it then plop it in the oil**

Everyone loves these! You can make them ahead, wait until they cool completely and store them in an airtight container. I guess you can pop them in the oven to crisp them up before serving but there is generally no need

I hope that you enjoy them [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information