Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1995 formula z help

Default 1995 formula z help

i got a 95 formula z 583. its new to me, no manual with it.

its fouling plugs like crazy. it was suggested that they might now be gapped right. anyone know what the gap should be?

or does anyone know how to adjust the amount of oil bieng injected with this machine. the plugs are coming out black.

i only ran it for about an hour maybee less and i had to change them

Default Re: 1995 formula z help

.045'' is the gap

What I've done is just drain the oil from the resevoir and the injectors and just ran mixed.. it helped stopped my indy fouling plugs.

On the arm that is connected to the oil pump there is a line that, when the throttle is held wide open, should line up with a mark on the oil pump housing. A little extra oil won't hurt.
    If it's the gas that came in the sled(ie. you haven't run a few tanks thru it) it could have a lot of extra oil added to it to cover up certain "problems". Hopefully this isn't the case.

Black plugs...as in sooty/dry black or wet nasty black?
    It's time to pay

it is a sooty dry black. the sled started to sputter like crazy i knew it was a fireing problem right away. changed the plugs and i was off again.

and thnk you for the replies. i will try that as soon as i get home.

my other question is can those plugs be cleaned up and used again, if so what is the best way to clean them

Sure you can clean and re-use em. Get a little sandpaper, clean the electrode and re-set the gap. But only keep them as an <u>emergency </u>set. For the price buy a brand new set as spares. (Trust me, I was the guy that always had 3 sets of used plugs and no new ones as spares).
    Btw if you drain the oil reservoir on that sled and run pre-mix, I'm pretty sure you'll cook the rotary valve gears/bearings.
    It's time to pay

J*B

Once plugs are fouled (especially NGK).. Straight to the garbage if you don't want major headaches.
    Don't run premix in the sled unless the injection system is pooched and there is no other choice.

I would do a compression test on both cylinders, if that's ok have a qualified person clean and check the carbs.

therč`s no reason why you can`t just run premix instead of using the oil injectors as long as you mix it properly.

I`ve seen and had numerous sleds where that`s what`s been done.

thanks for all the help everyone.

i switched to champion plugs, and they lsted longer, but they are still fouling. i rode for about 2.5, 3 hours before they fouled this time.

after about an hour of riding i stopped and checked them, and they were awasome looking, blackish ring with golden brown on the bottom.

i just filled up for the second time since riding the sled, so i dont think there are any hidden issues(crosses fingers).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information