Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meatballs!! need a recipe ASAP!!

Default Meatballs!! need a recipe ASAP!!

I have such a craving for meatballs and everytime I make them they're crap.

I need new ideas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup, but knowing that Chuck Norris didn't kill you in your sleep.

Default Re: Meatballs!! need a recipe ASAP!!

use ground veal and pork when you make meatballs.......twice as much pork to veal...
    add one egg
    handful of grated paramaesan cheese
    handful of bread crumbs and a bit of parsely
    mix together.....if you like softer meatballs add a bit of water to the meat mixture
    salt and pepper
    Roll into meatballs - fry or add to sauce

I make "sausage balls". Good alone or in a red sauce.

Ground pork and ground veal (75% pork 25% veal). On a large cookie sheet, spread out your meat mixture into a thin layer, and with your fingers, poke holes in it..

Top the meat layer with salt (a visible thin layer), and crushed hot red pepper flakes.

Cover a glass with cheesecloth and strain red wine though crushed garlic. (I've used a coffee filter - don't keep cheesecloth). Pour the garlic- flavoured wine over the salted-redpeppered-finger-poked-meat-mixture.

Finger poke some more to mix it up a bit. Shape into balls (when it comes to meatballs I likes them small). Cook them in the oven at 375 until done. I've also made patties instead and served on buns.
    Sure Shawn...whatever.

drench yourself in words unspoken, live your life with arms wide open...

I will not eat veal, so I make mine with just hamburger.....
    Just hamburger, 2 or 3 eggs, cracker crumbs, and lots of seasonings, garlic, onion powder, seasoing salt, pepper.
    Then I put them in the oven and bake them until they are cooked all the way. This way is alot more healthy because alot of the fat and grease comes out of them onto the pan, so I suggest putting tin foil down before hand.
    Then throw em in the sauce and simmer, they are better the next day when the sauce absorbes into them,
    I've never had any complaints! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

That's the exact same way I make mine Evangeline. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif[/img]

Anyone know how to make swedish meatballs (I think that's what they are called)???

Oh yeah?
    Did anyone ever GIVE you some meatballs, then months later ask you to pay for them?
    sorry couldn't resist!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

Or how about not be willing to come get them so I have to send it through a delivery service? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

Some peoples children..

Anyways.. back to meatballs!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

i won't eat veal either
    so here's how my momma taught me
    salt pepper to taste
    egg (depending on how much meat u have)
    chopped garlic
    parsley
    bread crumbs
    parmesean
    a little milk to make them soft
    grnd beef and/or grnd pork

if i wanted to cook a pasta sauce in a slow cooker would i add meatballs to it or would they fall apart to easy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by TyTy:
    if i wanted to cook a pasta sauce in a slow cooker would i add meatballs to it or would they fall apart to easy</div></div>I think you should cook them half way first, and then put them in the slow cooker.. That way , they wont fall apart. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Cant keep a secret, if it never was a secret to start..

Becoming a Regular Here

If your meatballs are made right they should be fine in the sauce and they will add more flavour.........As for making meatballs the preference as to what kind of meat is choice but generally for every pound of meat I add one clove of minced garlic, 1 egg, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/4 cup water for moisture, salt and pepper, and I add some fresh chopped herbs not a lot a couple pinches......Then cook a little piece for taste.
    And if you don't want to use veal you can use baby beef.

In a large bowl I beat 2 eggs then add some bread crumbs (about 1/2 cup), a couple cloves of fresh garlic (finely chopped), minced onion (to taste), salt and pepper, oregano (fresh) and some parmesan cheese if you want. Mix it all up and then add a 1 lb. package of mixed ground beef, veal and pork.

Roll into bite size meatballs and stick 'em on a cookie sheet. Throw them in the oven (on 350) for 1/2 an hour then put them in the sauce and let it simmer until done. Yummylicious!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And if you don't want to use veal you can use baby beef. </div></div>Veal IS baby beef!

Becoming a Regular Here

Evangeline........I hate to argue with you but no it is not, veal is any where from 3 to 6 months old before it goes to market and there are many different ways it is raised some I disagree with but we need to eat and we all have different tastes.......baby beef how ever is a young cow approximetly a year old and is raised totally different and in more humaine inviroments. Meaning it gets to run and play lol no punn intended... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh, I see, that's good then.
    The way they get veal is just so inhumane. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif[/img]

Becoming a Regular Here

Pino's sells veal, beef and pork all in the same package. That's what I use for meatballs. Now I've seen all these receipes I'm hungry.

Guru Power Poster

If you don't want to use veal, use pork and beef. Also, you are going to get 2 totally different tasting meatballs with the same recipe if you cook them in the oven or fry them first. In my opinion, they are way better if you put them in the sauce raw and cook them like that, that way they can absorb the sauce. If you cook them first, they form a crust and won't absorb the sauce.

milk fed veal is the inhumane veal. the calf is only fed milk and is left in a tiny stall where it cannot move. this is to keep its muscles tender so it is supposedly tastier. because it is milk fed it is a very pale colored meat. a & p sells it and it is labelled 'milk fed'. i too would not ever buy it.

about meatballs: since we discovered M&M meatballs i never make them anymore. they are really good, especially in sweet & sour meatball recipe - and so fast since they are precooked.

Becoming a Regular Here

I will also add wild meat such as venison or moose depending on who I'm feeding. I will cook them in the am and then add them to the sause in the slow cooker. I have also added a little sause to the meat mix before cooking if they will not be simmering all day to get that same tast in half the time

it is like Sauce,,, everyone thinks theirs is the best,,, but i am always open to new suggestions!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information