Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problems Feeding Baby

Guru Power Poster

Default Problems Feeding Baby

My daughter is 8 months old and I can only get her to eat fruit and cheerios. I've tried EVERYTHING to get her to eat veggies or meat and she just spits it out. I tried the baby foods for 8 months with the chunks and she hates them. I figured maybe they were too thick so I watered them down a bit...same result.

She won't even eat baby cereal anymore. Just fruits and cheerios. She loves applesauce, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, plums, raspberries...even prunes. I've tried the "fruit and veggie blend" baby foods and she hates those, too.

Is she just going through a phase? I'm a bit concerned that she isn't getting all the nutrients she needs...I don't know. Short of forcing it down her screaming throat, there isn't much I can do...
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

Default Re: Problems Feeding Baby

my oldest was and is like that. just keep offering it to her. let her get extra hungry. my doctor told me to either just accept it or let her go without and keep offering her healthy stuff. he said kids won't let themselves starve so if she's hungry enough she'll eat it.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

Guru Power Poster

Well, fruit is healthy...just sweet. I try to make sure I pick the stuff with no added sugar. I've even tried less sweet fruits lol

is your baby has teeth they may not want that crap chunk food...ive tasted it when ive checked how warm it is ewww lol
    maybe try like slices of cheese or balogna.........or hot dogs cut up...your baby may be telling you he / she is ready for somethign else

Guru Power Poster

That's true...I figured the baby food for 8 months + would be chunkier and more of a "big girl" food for her. She does like to feed herself the Cheerios, but she refuses those Graduate star puff thingies, the wagon wheels and the baby cheesies.

First baby for me so I have no idea what I can/should feed her...and what's a no no lol Still getting the hang of these things [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

A friend of mine had a baby like that. It was an early sign for her that her child was a very picky eater. Does she eat toast, those baby cookies? If you are really concerned about her not getting the nutrients she needs, look into pediasure. Not sure though what age you can give them to her. Also do you supplement with vitamins?

My 14 month old just started to eat the toddler baby food. I went for literally 5 months trying the first textured baby food, with huge gags and pukes to follow. I would go back to the ultra pureed crap, and retry in a couple of days. Eventually he took more textured food. He does not like much table food (mashed potatoes, carrots, etc) but will eat pasta if it is cut up tiny. Since he is my 4th and my others weren't like that, I asked the Dr. The baby only has 2 teeth, well almost 6 now, got his 4 front ones on christmas morning, he said, just offer and retry.
    My little one will not eat the gerber puffs, but loves the heinz fruit puffs. Also he eats yogurt (minigos) just not peach. I guess they all start to have preferences. Just try and try again, and good luck!!

Guru Power Poster

Mine won't eat peach anything, either lol She has her two bottom teeth and she's really really good with chewing (or gumming) and not choking. Is 8 months too young to try cut up pasta? I just don't know what would be appropriate for her. I never even thought of more "adult" foods...just didn't think she could have them. I used to give her yogurt and she loved it but she would end up puking later on almost like it didn't agree with her stomach.

What kind of vitamins could I give her? Do they have baby vitamins?

Yes kuiet they have vitamins for babies. When my son was a baby i used to give him trivisol or something like that. Now I buy infantol for my son as it is for children of any age.

Each child is different. At 8 months my son was just starting on adult food like mashed potatoes, mr noodle, hot dogs cut up real small, toast with a bit of margerine. Maybe she just is not into baby food that much. I know my son wasn't other then the fruits.

Guru Power Poster

i think every baby is different.. ive been feeding my son baby food for about a month now. When i first started he would get so excited when he saw me get the jar out of the cupboard that he would pretty much convulse, lol. He would eat it so fast that he would cry it i took to long to get another bite in his mouth. Now, he is totally not interested, turns his head and spits it out, and could care less. He'd much rather eat plain old rice cereal and drink his ba-ba's (barely 3 a day), but as long as he is eating and not starving, thats all that matters.
    Even if you fall flat on your face....at least you're still moving forward!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

I have 3 kids
    All three of them have eaten normal people food since about 8 months
    I cant imagine my 15 month old eating toddler food
    He LOVES HIS food

My grand daughter is also 8 months old, and boy have things changed since I had kids. Both of my kids went from breast to whole milk at 6 months, now they say no milk for a year.

What I have told my daughter is that this is a learning experience for all of us, its all trial and error.
    Whatever we make for lunch and supper we adjust for the baby to eat, she loves soup and crackers for lunch, yogurt for dessert.
    My daughter started her on cheerios and she loves them, no teeth yet but boy can she gum them.

Best of luck to all the new moms and new grammas cause like I said boy things have changed.

Guru Power Poster

Well, I'm taking some advice and as we speak, she is sitting here just chowing down on some chopped up rotini, shredded cheese and some green beans and peas from our garden last summer! I don't think I've ever seen her stuff so much into her face so fast! And not very much is missing her mouth [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

I guess she was just ready for more than I wanted to give her [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif[/img] Why do they have to grow so fast??

Put low fat yogurt on the food, and she will gobble it up.

not heaping amount, just enough to taste.

If she is still drinking her milk, it's no big deal. Be happy she's eating.

My son has been on Homo milk since he was about 3 months (dont care about anyones opinions on the matter, thanks). We've been giving him the Poly D vitamins, you can get them @ any drug store. Or you can go to the health food store and get the Kinder Vit (It's in a big brown bottle). It has a lot of good vitamins in there.

I also give the kids (and have since they were 3 months) fish oil designed for kids. So they get those good fatty acids.

You can also try making your own babyfood, there is a huge difference between the two, or try a different brand.

Pasta @ 8 months isnt too bad as long as she can eat it. Once she starts chewing you can move her up to way more textures/varieties.

Guru Power Poster

She has no problem eating and munching on harder, bigger foods. She's surprisingly good at chewing her food lol She had a cut up banana and Danino yogurt (with the fish oil, DHA thingie) for breakfast and some cheese and crackers for lunch with some blueberries. So far, she seems less crabby...I was probably starving her [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

mine was a gagger i couldnt feed her chuncky food till way later
    so i have her the 8+ formula, i think nestle has it
    so i wasnt freaking out that she wasnt getting enuff nutrients

has she tried pasta yet?

Guru Power Poster

Yeah she had cut up rotini last night and tonight for supper. She loves it. She ate a whole handful (mine, not hers) of green beans and peas, too. And crackers, cheese and yogurt for lunch. Takes more time to prepare meals now, but she can feed herself so it's harder but easier [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

Any other suggestions as to what I could give her would be great! I've given her pasta, cheese, veggies and rice. And I'm going to try toast and mashed potatoes tomorrow...

Try eggs. At this point she can only have the yolks, but its still very good for her!

http://www.eggs.ca/nutrition/health/egg_foryourbaby.asp

try veggie soups with cut up tiny pasta in it
    puree the veggies in the blender food proc, or magic bullet
    or i bought jessica seinfeld's cookbook, deceptively delicious
    it uses pureed veggies or fruit in normal recipes
    ie pureed cauliflower in banana bread, i made that and u dont even notice the cauliflower
    http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com

i even made chocolate chip cookies with chick peas, delish!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information