Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fiddleheads

Default fiddleheads

could you tell me how you cook fiddleheads? i am thinking of frying them in butter with garlic?

Becoming a Regular Here

Default Re: fiddleheads

Someone just told me this the other night. He said, "blanche them first, then saute in garlic and butter. Then add salt and pepper. Don't forget the salt and pepper".

Where did you get fiddleheads? I remember having them once as a child and would like my kids to try them. Thanks.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

I can pick fiddleheads in a damp forest clearing very close to my own house. If you're not so lucky, you can find fiddleheads in the frozen foods case at most grocery stores. They're in boxes, like the frozen spinach, for instance.
    The garlic and butter and salt and pepper method is perfect. If you feel they need it, you can brighten the flavour with a few drops of lemon juice.
    Freedom may only be a state of mind, but an RV helps!

Becoming a Regular Here

I'm really lucky, they grow right next to my house. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

they grow all over out at my family's house in goulais, im just hoping to find them somewhere nearer the city.

kitchenwitch & newagegal, are they ready yet?

jackieb, they are so plentiful if you find the right area. if you remember seeing nice big ferns growing like an upsidedown umbrella, then they have these brown "flowers" that come up in the fall and last right through till now still. the closest ive been able to identify them is an ostrich (sp?) fern, but i dont know for sure. there is only about a week or so time frame in which to pick them, then they are unfurled.

i work in a seniors home and want to cook some up as a treat, as all of them remember eating them.

Becoming a Regular Here

Ours aren't up yet, I figure in the next week or two. I keep looking every day though, because if you don't stay on top of it you miss out!

Banned

i want some fiddle heads i haven t had those since i was a kid i remeber stopping at the side of the highway going towards blind river with my grandparents and getting out on the side of the road walking into the bush and pcking them with him, we would boil them to make them tender then sautee in butter and garlic...anyone know where i can find some i looked at the stores but nothing and i have no car to get out to the highway.,..lol..

Simba

I've never heard of them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

MMmmmmmmm......fiddleheads!

Blanche/Saute them in garlic and butter is how I've always had them! Delish!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    ♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

Still a Noobie here

I keep checking behind my house, too. Should be within a week or so and they'll be up enough to pick....mmmmm....can't wait! This is what they look like;

http://www.silverfishphoto.com/images/Fiddleheads.jpg

Still a Noobie here

And this is what they look like after being sauted in garlic butter...yum, yum!

http://www.fabuloustravel.com/gourme...b/fidhead2.jpg

Becoming a Regular Here

You can also add your favorite wine to them, something along the lines of a 1 You can also top them with seasoned bread crumbs and romano cheese and bake for 2 to 3 minutes at a high temperature. Or how about a grilled fiddlehead sandwich with either a mild provalone or even frulano cheese. Oops you should always par blanch first when it comes to vegetables that are stringy or meaty. 2-5 minutes depending on size then cool quilky with ice this will stop the cooking process and not turm into mush. And then proceed with any recipe you choose to use.

Becoming a Regular Here

I love fiddleheads!!!! What a great way to welcome spring....brilliant idea for a BBQ sidedish this evening- thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Banned

where can i find some???????????????? i really really want some they are my favorite and i haven t had them for years anyone know where i can buy some?????????? thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by NewAgeGal:
    If you're not so lucky, you can find fiddleheads in the frozen foods case at most grocery stores. They're in boxes, like the frozen spinach, for instance.
    </div></div>

Banned

i looked and coulen t find any i ake the people who work there and they said they have none,,maybe they haven t arrived yet. they are in season though?

Becoming a Regular Here

Romes should have them soon in the produce department.
    Bought them there last year. Yum yum!

oh o'casey, what great ideas!
    i wonder if the cold weather and lack of rain will keep them from unfurling longer? can yyou let us know when they are ready behind your house? then ill know its time for me go head out and forrage too (lol, but not behind your house, dont worry)

Senior Member Sweet_And_Innocent's Avatar

I was at food basics yesterday and they had some, didn't look exceptionally appealling, but they were there. $3.49/lbs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information