Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it weather related?

Default Re: Is it weather related?

sounds like blower motor froze like huggy said.. if you have a garage put it in there over night... if not, try to park in direct sunlight for a while and it should unfreeze..

to check if it's just a frozen blower motor, check the fuse.. if it's blown, the motor froze (like huggy said).. try above before you bring it in and pay

could be a resistor gone too because fo the weather change

pretty sure the blower motor is under the dash and not the hood

Can i offer my advice? Because i am going to!!! OK.. for starters.. is your car blowing air at all? or is it just blowing cold air? If it is just blowing cold air and not heating up it could be the thermostat stuck open. if it is not blowing at all or blowing intermintantly it could be the relay in the blower motor. THe blower motor is located under the glove box area in your truck.. When the thermostat is stuck in the open position it allows the coolant to circulate through all the parts of the cooling system.. This is not suspost to happen until the car reaches a certain temp. If the blower m otor runs but no iar comes out of the ducts the problem is eithe ria stuck or inoperative air low control or blen doors. These doors can be cable or cacuum operated. change the position of the temperature selector sliding it from hot to cold. If the sound of the doors openind and closing are not heard then the control cables can sometimes slip loose. BUt if your car is blowing air just not warm air take out the thermostat and put it in a pan of boiling water with a termometer in it. Thermostats must start to open at the sepcified temperature usually stamped on the unit itself. It will spring open. The thermostat allows the engine to warm up faster by being "closed" and blocks off certain coolant passages until it is opened. Not only can a stuck open thermostat cause discomfort by not warming up the truck but a slow warm up can cause moisture and condensation in the combustion chamber and it fines it's way into the crank case and cause sludge formation. Most engines are wquiped with a coolant bypass either outside the engine block or built into the cast. SOme thermostats are wquipped with a bypass valve that shuts off the engnine bypass after warm up. Forcing all coolant to flow throughthe radiator.. Also if you got air in the radiator it will cause air bubbles in the hoeses and that can cause poor warm up of the vheicle becuse the heat can't be transfered to the heater core via the coolant. The heate core takes the coolant from the engine and transfers the heat out of it into the cab area of the truck.. NOw if it is blowing but no heat.. it could also be this.. their are valves in the heater core that open to regulate everything based on the coolant temp.. Also they can get stuck in a certain position or if they are vacuumed controlled their could be a leaky vacuum hose.. depending on the ... um also if the blower motor does not work and is not blowing air, take a test light to the resistor in the blower motor to see if it has poer. their are also inline fuses and not just the fuse at the fuse pannel..
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Thanks everyone! I was able to get it fixed. It was a fuse. I didn't realize that there were three different fuses for it and it was the one under the hood.

Thanks again.
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

Ok I spoke too soon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]
    The heater is now working but only on high. It doesn't work on the lower settings. Any ideas about that?

yes i will send you a pm
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

Blower motor resistor.
    Racing is not a sport, it's a lifestyle.

Heater blower motors come in two or three varieties. Older models had several windings inside for the various fan speeds. It was expensive and is no longer used in most modern cars. Newer blowers have only one winding and therefore only one wire going into the motor (plus, of course, a ground wire). The speed is controlled via a series of resistors which are switched in as needed to lower the fan speed. These resistors are wire coils and get very hot. Therefore, they are normally mounted inside the heater plenum chamber where air from the blower flows over them to keep them from burning up. Sometimes the burn up anyway.

The blower switch in 80% of today's cars have different positions which control the flow of current to different resistors thus changing the speed of the blower. Therefore you have two places to look - a faulty switch or a faulty resistor bank.

I just took my van to the local garage and paid them to let it thaw out overnight. Everything works again.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Ok thanks everyone.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information