Ingredients for the cake:
1 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 cups milk
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and dust with flour a single 9-inch round cake pan for a single layer cake. Dust two if you are doubling the recipe for a layer cake.
1. Cream the sugar, salt, and shortening together. Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
2. In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
3. Add about one-third of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix briefly. Add about one-third of the milk and mix. Continue twice more with the remaining flour and milk. Do not over mix. Scrape the batter into the pan.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
5. Let the cake rest in the pan for about five minutes and then remove it to a wire rack to continue cooling.
For the filling:
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large egg yolks
Combine the salt, cornstarch, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk. Add the egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring with a whisk often, until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook for one more minute. Set aside to cool.
For the topping:
Heat over low heat, two ounces unsweetened chocolate and three tablespoons butter until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in one cup powdered sugar and on-half teaspoon vanilla along with one to two tablespoons water until you have the desired consistency.
1. With a long-bladed, serrated knife, split the cake horizontally.
2. Spread the cream filling on the bottom half of the cake. Place the top half on the filling.
3. Spread the chocolate topping on the cake.
Since the filling includes milk and eggs, this cake should be refrigerated.