Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I can't do this...

Default I can't do this...

My nine year old and our hearts our both breaking. We received a letter from our landlord that we CAN NOT keep Spanky due too the weight limit of a pet having too be 30 pounds and under. We were told that Spanky's mom and dad were under 30 but looking at my Spanky he's getting bigger by the minute. This is hurting me so much my heart is ripping in two. My daughter my precious little girl wrote a letter too the commitee last week asking too change the weight limit and even included a picture of him and her and today they said NO it was set in stone. I can't stop crying I look at him and he's so cute and I love him. I don't want him too go. DAMNIT!

Too anybody who says "I told you so" DON'T OK. I'm not giving him up because I want too I'm giving him up because I have too.

Somebody please please help me find a home for my little boy a safe home a home where we can come and see him from time too time. Someone who will love him and scratch him behind his ears cause he loves that.

Guru Power Poster

Default Re: I can't do this...

Isn't it illegal for them to do that? I didn't think they could force you to get rid of your pet of evict you for having pets...?

Just asking...I don't have much "renting" experiece myself lol Who in their right mind would rent to me [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

According too them it's the By-Law of the Corporation and either I get rid of Spanky or I can not live here.

Guru Power Poster

I'd look into that a bit more, if I were you....

Sorry to hear that. If you would like something made up into a poster for the store, send me a pic and the information you want, and I can post it up for you.

Guru Power Poster

Like I said, I don't know much about renting because I haven't really done it...but I did find this....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Residential Tenancies Act states that any clause in a lease that prohibits pets is void. This means that once a person becomes a tenant, if they have a pet even though the lease says pets are not allowed, the landlord cannot evict the tenant just for having the pet. However, the Landlord can apply to the Board to evict a tenant if the pet is causing a problem. See the question on “Can a landlord evict a tenant for having a pet?" in the How a Landlord Can Evict a Tenant section of the Frequently Asked Questions.</div></div>

It's a private CO-OP *kuietgrl* they apparently can do what they want. They make the rules and I have too abide by them cause I signed the lease.

Guru Power Poster

If you're renting, wouldn't it be under the same "landlord/tenant board"? Even if you sign a lease, they can't evict you simply because you have a pet.

If it exceeds the specified weight amount on the lease I have no right too keep him cause I signed it.

Guru Power Poster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A tenant can be evicted for having a pet in their unit only if:

the pet is making too much noise, damaging the unit, or causing an allergic reaction, or
    the animal or species is considered to be inherently dangerous. </div></div>

"No pet" provisions void
    14. A provision in a tenancy agreement prohibiting the presence of animals in or about the residential complex is void. 2006, c. 17, s. 14.

I am pretty sure that means whatever you signed is void.

They can't make you move because of your pet. The contract or least in regards to that is void!! Take them to small claims court if you have to!!! Its about time we can catch Landlords in this city with this!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're renting, wouldn't it be under the same "landlord/tenant board"? Even if you sign a lease, they can't evict you simply because you have a pet.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a private CO-OP *kuietgrl* they apparently can do what they want. They make the rules and I have too abide by them cause I signed the lease.
    </div></div>

Private Co Op doesn't matter. They are renting to you and you fall under the Residential Tenancies Act because of that. They CANNOT legally make you get rid of the pet, or leave.

Ok I'm going down tomorrow with this info. Thankyou so so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q6: The landlord says I must either move out or get rid of my pet; Do I?
    A6: Only if the pet is dangerous, causes allergic reactions or causes problems for other tenants or the landlord, must you get rid of your pet or consider moving elsewhere as per Landlord application to terminate tenancy based on animals.

Even if you signed a lease with a "no pets" clause, if the pet is not a problem for anybody they can not enforce it; such no pets clauses are invalid under the law.

You do not have to move or get rid of the pet unless the Board issues a written order to do so.

</div></div>

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/law.phtml#Q6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I'm going down tomorrow with this info. Thankyou so so much. </div></div>

We're all here for you!

They did Yorkie it was in my door this morning telling me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They did Yorkie it was in my door this morning telling me.</div></div>

The dog isn't causing problems though! They are using weight for the reason. Keep everything they gave you, letters and everything. if weight was the original issue and it suddenly changes when you bring this up, its a no go for them.

Thanks Yorkie and *kuietgrl* I'll see what tomorrow brings and fill you in. Awwww I'm looking at him right now he's so darn sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Tenants: Handling Landlord Problems and Actions and Problems with Other Tenants
    Sometimes tenants face landlord problems. Many negative situations can develop. The landlord could be harassing a tenant for having a visitor or might claim that the tenant is not living up to his/her obligations to keep the premises in good repair as a reason to evict. The landlord may have initiated an eviction that is based on a false claim against the tenant. Other problems could include excessive noise, cigarette smoke seeping into your unit from other renters, or failing to take care of the garbage.

Regardless of the situation, you should understand that you have rights. A problem landlord may bully or harass you, or even try to evict you; but the landlord cannot do so legally unless the proper legal process is followed and the reason for eviction is valid.

Case Study
    The situation: A retired gentleman who had lived in an apartment in the Toronto area for 29 years was given an eviction notice from his landlord, ordering him to be out of his apartment 23 days later. The reason: the landlord claimed that the tenant's dog was causing damage to the premises, asserting that the dog was chewing the hall walls, running loose; and that the owner failed to clean up after his dog, both inside and outside.

In fact: In Ontario, the landlord could evict based on the reasons cited above. However, the tenant had support from the building superintendent and neighbours stating that the claims were false.

The result: The tenant took action, contacting his MPP, the Rent Tribunal, a lawyer and the local newspaper. When the newspaper contacted the landlord about the situation, the landlord decided to withdraw the eviction.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What should you do when the landlord issues an eviction notice? First, review the notice carefully and check your rights. If the notice is not based on solid grounds and you want to oppose the eviction, consider following the process outlined by your local rental authority. If the eviction is based on non-payment of rent, paying the rent due in full will enable you to stay.</div></div>

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reh...03.cfm#bullet3

Thankyou Yorkie

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information