Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: battery - back yard mechanic?

Default Re: battery - back yard mechanic?

P.S. I'm gonna test all three vehicles in the yard, just for the heck of it. Two Fords and a GM.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Guru Power Poster

The simplest alternator test is while the car is running disconnect the red + battery cable ,if the car dies the alternator is bad.

I bought a rebuild for a ford 1/2 ton pickup at Total Electric for $90.
    If you wish to go quickly, go alone. If you wish to go far, go together.

Mboy is current on this stuff, since he's still working in the trade.
    But as far as I recall Lance, if an alternator has one bad diode, it will still put out 1/3 of its rated power. Enough to keep running, but not enough to keep a car going in the winter, day to day. And I have to wonder what disconnecting might do to modern automotive electronics.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

J*B

That's what I was going to mention, disconnecting a battery cable with the car running could possibly damage the computer and you don't want that bill!!

Well, soon it will be going BACK to Canadian Tire.
    Hopefully they fix the problem this time..
    *sigh*
    Cant keep a secret, if it never was a secret to start..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I was going to mention, disconnecting a battery cable with the car running could possibly damage the computer and you don't want that bill!! </div></div>Not not only possibly the computer, but most likely if the alternator WAS good, it won't be after doing that. Disconnecting the battery makes the voltage regulator think the battery is dead and it will try to get the alternator output beyond it's max limitations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mboy is current on this stuff, since he's still working in the trade.
    But as far as I recall Lance, if an alternator has one bad diode, it will still put out 1/3 of its rated power. Enough to keep running, but not enough to keep a car going in the winter, day to day. And I have to wonder what disconnecting might do to modern automotive electronics. </div></div>Normally there's six diodes. Three smaller capacity ones to rectify the voltage to the regulator, and three larger ones for the actual alternator output (at least on the AC Delco alternator's that I've worked on). For anyone with even basic electronic theory knowledge, the individual diodes could sometimes be replaced rather than treplacing the whole alternator. I've made my own "triodes" (the three diodes that feed the regulator)and have replaced individual main diodes in the past.

It's good that she got a new battery anyways. A battery that won't charge properly, or has a shorted cell, etc. adds additional load on the alternator and could cause it to fail prematurely. I remember on a cutlass I once used to own that I rebuilt my alternator about 3 times over a month. Finally I had the battery load tested and it was bunk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DON'T RESPOND IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HELP! I DONT WANT TO HEAR "bring it to the shop." I cant afford to keep bringing it in to the shop. I just want another opinion!

So, my car wouldn't start after I got a jump start, I let it run for like half an hour.. And turned it off, then when I needed it, it wouldn't start. So got it towed to Canadian Tire, and they said it was the battery, so it was replaced..
    That was 2 days ago.
    Now, the same thing is happening, what could it be?

I turn the ignition, and it just doesn't want to start. And, then it clicks? And does nothing. (sigh)
    </div></div>

Try checking the ground..
    A simple thing as a loose ground connection can cause a nostart...
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

hp2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DON'T RESPOND IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HELP! I DONT WANT TO HEAR "bring it to the shop." I cant afford to keep bringing it in to the shop. I just want another opinion!

So, my car wouldn't start after I got a jump start, I let it run for like half an hour.. And turned it off, then when I needed it, it wouldn't start. So got it towed to Canadian Tire, and they said it was the battery, so it was replaced..
    That was 2 days ago.
    Now, the same thing is happening, what could it be?

I turn the ignition, and it just doesn't want to start. And, then it clicks? And does nothing. (sigh)
    </div></div>

Try checking the ground..
    A simple thing as a loose ground connection can cause a nostart...
    </div></div>

was thinking the same thing considering they just changed the battery... DID they also change the cable ends... that go on the battery post.. or that car prob has side post connections.. maybe they were not cleaned properly... but to me sounds more like a bad ground also..

It sounds like your alternator is either done or a bad connection in the wiring, one way you may beable to check for sure is well you have it running disconnect the battery and see if it well stay running, if it stops there is a good chance the altenator is bad, keeping in mind not knowing what you are driving and some newer car well stop anyways when disconnecting the battery.
    If you like you can give me a call and i can try and help
    Good Luck Mike 842-2363

if its the alternator, hook it up to a booster pack or jump start it, once the positive cable comes off the battery the car will die out if its the alternator. i had this happen on an S10 i was driving.

Again....for Mikey and freeebird.......

DICONNECTING THE BATTERY ON A CAR WITH AN ALTERNATOR CAN AND WILL CAUSE THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR TO MAKE THE ALTERNATOR GO TO, OR BEYONG, MAX VOLATGE OUTPUT, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING VALUABLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM COMPONENTS, INCLUDING THE COMPUTER, ETC.!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so with short circutz on this one.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, which means "Either I will find a way or I will make one."

i understand that, but is it the same with using a booster pack and when you turn off the unit the vehicle dies? cause thats what i meant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MiKeY2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i understand that, but is it the same with using a booster pack and when you turn off the unit the vehicle dies? cause thats what i meant </div></div>Ok, I see what you're saying now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information