Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: do indoor cats need shots?

Default do indoor cats need shots?

my girlfriend just told me i won't have to get my kittens vaccinated if i keep them in the house. is that true??

after paying over $200 for the first visit..not going back sounds good. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif[/img]

Default Re: do indoor cats need shots?

Better to get them shots. This will protect them from any diseases transfered from shoes coming inside or from petting other animals then coming home. Besides It is very difficult to keep a cat 100% indoors. They always try to get outside. In my experiences.
    Vaccinations only have to be once a year and I believe there is another post that states with Rabies shot as well it is less than $70 per year on the Canada side and even less on the USA side. This is a valuable investment to keep the kitty healthy and avoid expensive vetbills in the future.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

It is the string titles "Rabis"
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

these were their first shots...when do they get the boosters?

really?? the vet never mentioned another shot in a month..that was in Jan..i have to take them on march 11 to get fixed..maybe they'll do it then?

i have gotten the first year of shots and boosters, but after that i dont get anymore for my cats (who stay indoors). joy is right, you do run a chance of bringing something in that they can catch, but i have honestly never actually heard 1st hand of it happening. in fact there is new information out there that they dont need all the yearly shots. sort of like us humans dont get them over and over...

Chaotic Chick

I am getting my cat vaccinated even though she is an indoor cat in case she ever gets outside. The only reason we haven't yet is she was a stray we found the end of December and she was pregnant when we found her. She is due to have kittens any day now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

Simba

Ohhh kittens?? Nevermind..lol Don't tell me when they are ready. LOL!!

My two are indoor cats and never get out. They both had their first set of shots and that's it.

Chaotic Chick

LOL We will think she is only having two kittens and my two youngest have both said they each want one. Three cats might be a bit much for my allergies though lol. So we haven't made any promises. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Mine have all had the first shots and have not gone back to the vet since. None of them get outside, so it makes sense to me.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

I have 7 and all of them have had their first shots and boosters. Thats it. As long as they are "strictly" indoor I dont bother. Mine dont ever touch grass.
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

mine had their first shots then i stopped
    theyre indoor and i dontthink it's necessary

As I have posted many times. Im not a vet. BUT, All pets should be vaccinated, 3 to 4 weeks an part. If you fail to give them boosters at that time . your first shot will be invalid.they need the 2nd shot,thay call it a booster for a reason. it helps booste the immune system. Upper Respetory is a very serious cond if gone untreated. and that is one thing that can happen. annual boosters from there on out, after a cat or dog reaches a older ages 10 ish they should no longer need a booster, but a rabies,. should be given, olease VACCINATE your pets. what will it hurt. they are part of the family. i believe you can purchase vaccines for cats at tractor supply, $6, that is a thought. check with your vet when you bring them back to be spayed. good luck all .

in my case it's not about the money
    it's about health
    if they were allowed outdoors, of course i would vaccinate but indoor all the time, i didnt think it was necessary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitty&mimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in my case it's not about the money
    it's about health
    </div></div>
    I agree 110%. I pay a lot in vet bills. Ive taken in pets with health problems so in my case it has nothing to do with money. I dont see any benefit with annually vaccinating my cats.
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Chaotic Chick

For me it is not about money either. Once we took our kitty in, we vowed never to let her outside. If she gets sick, she will see a vet but after her first shots (and she will be spayed in a few weeks as well), we do not think it is necessary to get her vaccinated once a year. She has not stepped outside for a single second since we got her and intend on keeping it that way. Cats don't belong outside in my opinion. I was glad no one claimed her because I thought the people who had her before us were jerks for letting her outside in the middle of winter!

My mom couldn't catch her cat to take it to the vet even if she tried anyway. She stays in the house and is terrified of the doors and windows because they go to the big outside world where the mean neighbor cat lives...LOL

sorry but i due beleive they shold be vaccanated regardless. ask your vet and see what they tell you. i would vaccinate unless instructed by your vet. even insode cats need shots.

Getting warmed up...

If you are getting your cat fixed in March, the cat is old enough to NOT need the whole series of kitten shots, that's why your vet didn't mention more shots. When I got my cat fixed at 6 months of age, she was given her first shots at the animal shelter, then I adopted her and brought her for her vet visit where he gave her one set of shots. A month later, she was scheduled to be spayed. I asked the vet about the third set of shots I thought she needed, and he said that was only for young kittens, and it would be a waste of money because she did not need to be protected from kitten disease. So I got the next shots, including Rabies and FVRCP a year later just to boost her up and now I won't go unless she needs to see a vet. In my opinion, it is overkill with too much immunization if the cat is strictly indoors, but I do believe it's important to give them the first shots and one set a year later. I think if you had an outdoor cat, that would be a whole different story. The vet also won't give my 13 year old dog any more immunizations because he said the dog has a build up of immunity over the years and does not need to have shots anymore. The shots are too hard on older pets.

Where the heck did you go that it already cost you $200? I paid under $60 and that was a checkup, nail clip, flea checkup, ear cleanup, and shots. I go on the Canadian side to Dr. Gunum.

J*B

I got my indoor cats vaccinated for the first two or three years. The vet even said it's not necessary after that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information