Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: speaking of kids

Default speaking of kids

as a person who has to knwo about nutrition and stuff i have to just say that, when you feed your kids do you always get premade food, such as fish sticks, or chicken fingers or the like, you knwo the big frozen entre aile that the pricces dont fall below 5.99? the aisle that i dont look at... you know the one, do people actually feed theyre kids that stuff? i mean some stuff is ok, but its way over priced and other stuff, such as those face shapped potatoes? gross, you ever read whats in that ****? people wonder why kids are always tired , develop alergies/reactions, are hyper all the time, low concentration level..the list goes on.. change what they eat, i bet after a week, they are better...and give them vitamins, not the cheap ones, its mostly fillers anyway...opt for good brand....

and KEEP sodium levels DOWN , btw, diet pop, (pepsi mostly) will kill you slowely go for white pops, no caffiene ...

-------------------bottom line-------------------

look at the ingredients, not just nutrtion labels
    make time to make your own, its EASY and cheaper

disclaimer lol : i do not say, nor did i say i am a dietition or nutritionist or the like, i am jsut stating stuff i know. and by the way... just becasue someone is alergic to peanuts, doenst mean that they are alergic to all nuts, peanuts are not nuts, they dont grow on trees, they are a Legume, liek pea, or bean....i have sent non peanut free stuf to school, no one is dead yet....
    anyway.. lol bla bla bla

Default Re: speaking of kids

I know what you mean eastender. I made a 4 week rotating menu a few years back, complete with breakfast, lunch, supper, and snack. I used it for 4-5 rotations of 4 weeks, and then quit. I wanted to start it up again this year, and so I pulled it up on the computer.

I was appalled at how unhealthy 80% of the food I had on there was. I practically had to start over fresh. Traded in my smiley faced potatoes for homemade potato wedges drizzled in olive oil and baked, and traded in my cheese sausage for steak. LOL My nutritional knowhow must have drastically improved in the last couple of years.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

lol thanks for the positive coment, knowing soonet, i was expecting some real nasty posts!!!

In my case it is not always easy to make healthy meals all the time. Although I do try with being a single parent and my work schedule sometimes it is just not feasible. I get off at 5:30 and by the time I pick up my son and get home it is 6pm. Altough I would love too cook him hot home cooked meals everynight I just cant. As long as majority of his intake through the day is healthy his breakfast lunch and snacks are healthy those fast dinners such as chicken fingers, hot dogs, KD french fries or even boxed potatoes arent going to kill em. JMO

dont get me wrong, i understand that, and i love KD and hot dogs, and even bagged fries!! i also try my damdest, i go to school, my wife works, it IS hard i know!! specially when i work.

i dont want to offend or anything!! think this way. KD and hot dogs excluded!!!

those oven "quick" foods:: total cook time bout 1/2 hour ( by the time oven pre heats, blah blah ect) and can also cost alot...

here is one faster, healthier thing you can do

get pasta sauce, what ever flav. get a bag of pasta on hand(angelhair is fastest @ 3min)

step one, run the hot water, turn on the stove to max, fill pot with hot water and salt, in meantime open the pasta sauce, put as much as you need in hte microwave till its hot 2/3 mins, by this time the water be boiling, throw in the pasta of choice, set table, by this time pasta should be ready, if not then you gota min to sit...

drain pasta , add sauce, some stinky cheese, voila!
    pasta and sauce in 15 mins, + healthier

cost: pasta .50, can of sauce, 1.29 total = bout 2$ after tax, per meal, bout 90 cents..
    not including bread and what evre elseyou may eat with pasta. times may vary depending on pasta you want..... im saying this using the thinest....

happy cooking

Have you looked at the premade pasta sauce lately. You were talking earlier about sodium levels, check the "pasta sauce, what ever flav" that you were mentioning. Yes its easy yes its cheap but check the labels! Not everything that's pre made and expensive is bad and not everything that is premade and cheap is good. You can put your own pasta sauce on in a crockpot the night before and take the 10 mins that its going to take the next day to cook the pasta especially on a busy night and have a better meal with minimal work and meat.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

And as for your sent non peanut free stuff to school bit, my son doesn't have an allergy to nuts but alot of kids do. And you would be doing yourself and your kid a favour by showing him a good example. If your school is peanut free its for a reason. If your son had a bad allergy that could kill him then you would be screaming and hollering to the school if he/she came home saying that someone in their class came to school with banned stuff.
    \and don't get me wrong I do agree with alot of the stuff you said about foods with fillers and crap if people would be able to get back to the one parent at home to cook meals and one parent at work and still be able to keep your home and keep the bill collector at bay that would be ideal but those times are gone so families have to adapt and have meals that they have made and froze and just pop in the oven or use a crockpot, etc.
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

I realize I am fortunate to be a stay at home mom, knowing that this just isn;t possible for everyone. However, there are ways to cut cooking times.

For example, when hamburger is on sale, I buy a bunch, and either form hamburger patties, or meatloaf, and cook up the rest with onions and refreeze in 1 pound baggies. It sounds like a lot of work, but think about it. Every time you cook spagetti, chili, shepherds pie, tacos, hamburger helper, etc, you have to thaw the meat, then spend up to 30 minutes chopping onions and browning the meat. If you do it all at once, and bag it cooked, you just pull out a bag and throw it in the pot or pan. You only chop onions once, dirty the cutting board once, have to drain the grease once, use one knife, one utensil to stir the burger, etc. It literally saves a half an hour per meal. I usually microvave it for 5 minutes to thaw, and voila!

Also washing and cutting all your veggies as soon as you get home from the grocery store saves loads of time in the long run, and makes it more likely that you will actually use them instead of tossing them in the garbage a couple of weeks later.

You can make 10 pounds of mashed potatoes and freeze them in serving sized bags. Use cream cheese in them, and they freeze better.

Also, any time you make a casserole, double the recipe and freeze one.

I realize not everyone has a freezer, but even if you use a few of these tips, or just cook your hamburger for the month and cut up your veggies every week you still save quite a bit of time.

Just some time saving tips for the busy family or working single mom.

If I think of more I'll add them.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

All busy moms have the same delima(or most),there is lots of time saving tips,, here are mine,
    i buy fresh veggies, clean and cut into bite size,, put into baggies
    make dip
    lg container of sour cream
    same amount of mayo
    1/2 tsp. accent* do not substitute
    2 tbls. dried onion
    2 tbls. parsley
    1 tbls. dill
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    3 dashes hot sauce
    1/2 tsp. worchestershire sauce
    mix and refigerate for 2 hrs. at least

kids love carrots and celery and dip!

~ whatever meat you had the night before, warm it up,,really hot,,, put it into a wrap,,, top wtih cheese, and whatever toppings they like,, wrap it in FOIL,, put it in their insulated bag,, without the ice pack,,, they love it!

Corky and Jackie your absolutely right homemade meals can be made ahead of time in time to a good dinner without having to resort to a can of ragu and a bag of spagetti if parents plan right. My husband and I both work, my two teenagers work and my 7 yr old is at grandmas when we are all working. If my daughter is home with him she make him what ever is easiest. When my husband or I are going to be home all day its a homemade meal.

Yeah, I planned out my rotating menu to take into account the shedule of the day. For example, Tuesdays I have ot be somewhere for five with two of my kids, so Tuesday is always a one dish meal day. I have a few meals casserole type meals with minimal ingredients and minimal effort, yet still reasonably nutritious and homemade. Wednesdays I like ot cook something more involved as it's what my kids call a "nowhere day." I always put my kids to work too. They can grate cheese, throw potatoes in a pot and rinse them, set the table, any little job that saves me a minute and makes them feel like a part of the process is good in my books.

Oh yeah, I wanted to comment about eastender's pasta recipe. I agree that homemade sauce would be more nutritious, but I think he was comparing it to say...chef-boy-ar-dee type noodles, or alphagetti. I would still take plain pasta and a can of sauce over that stuff any day.

As far as peanut free lunches in schools go, I don't believe that an entire class's eating habits should be modified for the sake of one child. If a certain child has a sensitivity to a particular food and there is a worry about there being exposure to that food (during lunch time, for example), then that child should be taken aside to an environment which is secure from that food for the lunch period. If a child had an extremely depressed immune system would it make sense to put isolation suits on all the other kids in case they had a sniffle or cough?....or would it make sense to put the one affected child in another environment or keep them home from a school if there was a concern?
    When they want them, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will REMAIN in my children's lunches.

I understand where your coming from because it is difficult not to send peanut type foods for lunch, but if I was the child that was allergic I certainly wouldn't want to spend my lunch alone away from my friends being centered out like that because of something out of my control! And I certainly wouldn't want to be the child that is centered out when my friend has a serious allergic reaction to the granola bar or cookie that I brought to school. I feel every parent should set a good example for their child and have respect for other children in the school. I certainly don't encourage my child to fight other kids and I wouldn't encourage them to possibly do harm to another child by causing possible injury or death to a child with an allergy.
    I don't want my child suspended from school for something as easy to change as not sending peanuts to school.
    editted to say that I do think that children should be suspended for bringing something to school that could cause harm to another child just like fighting or bringing a knife or a gun.

Well said tasma!!!

Becoming a Regular Here

Peanut allergies is a very serious allergy, some people havea a reaction just from the smell of it. My son's school is peanut free and he has one in his class with the peanut allergy. It is not very difficult to find peanut free snacks for his lunch and it is something i put a lot of effort into. My son is very understanding about this and he knows that if he wants peanut butter or anything with peanut products he can have them at home. As for isolating the child with the allergy that is just dumb. Why should one child be isolated because they have an allergy. It is hard enough for these children because alot of the time it is difficult for them to go to birthday parties and things like that. I know when I have my sons party that I make it peanut free so his friend can come. It is setting an example for your children to respect people. I dont agree with sending banned products to school. Just think how would you feel if you triggered this childs allergy?

well said princess mama

I've worked at the Second Cup (now Roomers Cafe) off and on for 11 years, and the owners there have a young niece that died from peanut allergies years ago.

Also, when I was going to Goodlife, I inquired about the day care. They said that I was not allowed to bring nut type snacks there at all, as there was a child who used to facility who could have a severe reaction just by touching peanut oil on the door****. It's not somehting to be taken lightly.

On the other hand though, I have a hard time inconveniencing an entire student body for one child. I think if a child has that bad of an allergy, the parent should consider homeschooling or some other option similar. I know a lady who homeschools mainly because her child has multiple food allergies.

Some families don't have the option of homeschooling and I'm sure any public school here would have more than one student that has a peanut allergy and why should that child in particular have to stay at home and not enjoy the friendships to be made etc from a public school system for something that they had no control over. My son can have all the peanuts he wants at home between 3:30 pm and 8:30pm or weekends. Its not that hard to change a small part of your life. Its like watching what you eat to lose weight.

I'd like to know where all the families that have kids with food allergies are for this thread. My kid doesn't even have food allergies and I'm argueing the point for someone else's kid!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information