Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: as a musician - what is your philosophy ?

Default as a musician - what is your philosophy ?

I am ripping this one right from Devin TOwnsend

'get as good as you need to be to facilitate your ideas'

some people are obsessed with shredding or playing ridiculously fast with no musicality

so what are your thoughts on playing?

Default Re: as a musician - what is your philosophy ?

It's just a hobby.

Hobbyist
    I prefer spice/flavor vs speed/flash . That shredding stuff. Steve Via, etc gets boring. Even EVH was best on the first album. Can't do it , don't want to . Move someone with two notes ...wow. Years to do it. I'm heading that way but, who knows where I may turn off the road and where I sit for a while, and how long it will take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My philosophy is that if you're a musician, more specifically a guitarist, and you still play guitar hero, then you deserve to suck at guitar as much as you probably do. </div></div>

Nice Philosophy..
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

i like a riff that sticks in your head...classic
    music riff. speed has never amazed me. if you play it over and over sure you can get fast at it.. i play bass so i like a song
    with a good bass line..anyway enough said. I'M GOING TO PLAY GUITAR HERO NOW.
    Die Lügen sind wie Schneebälle: je weiter man sie fortwälzt, desto größer werden sie: Lies are like snowballs: the farther they roll, the greater they grow

My philosophy is pretty simple...Musicality before technicality.

When I was in University, my music teacher always told me 'It doesn't matter how fast you can play if you don't have a sound that people want to listen to". It's always been pretty good advice to me.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

I think Mr. townsend has the right idea, in fact he's dead on in my oppinion, i think as long as every musician can creativly express themselves they way they see fit and have the tools they deem nessescary to do it speaks volumes, ...my perspective has always been, get the tools you want and build what you want. in the end its your choice and as long as your happy with what your capabilities are, then your on your way to accomplishing what you need to....

you can have all the technical tools in the world, but if you cant use them to express yourself....whats the point? Bragging rights?, competition? I always keep the perspective of music is art, and my instrument is my canvass....it always keeps things real for me...but thats just me.

I suppose it would all be what style and genre you're in to as far as speed and groove goes. For instance, if you're into classical music, you would need some speed for playing fuges, pagnini and bethoven, etc... As far as Jazz, speed is required in many of their songs as well. Immagine Duke Ellington or Oscar Peterson playing their jazz pieces at a really slow tempo. It just wouldn't have the right feel. Whereas, if you're playing blues, the tempo is much slower, with a different groove and feel to it. Same thing with rock, it all depends on the style you're into and if speed is required. Sometimes it's cool if you're into Megadeth or Pantera, but if you're into Paul McCartney or the Beatles, then you're into a more slower melodic groove where speed and shredding is not so important. I'm into many styles of music and I play the bass, so it all depends on what style I am into or playing at that moment in time if I am going to be in a fast or slow groove.

Music preference is purely subjective with a few people able to truly appreciate diverse styles and tastes. With that I mean you can have a truly amazing song or passage but have the wrong crowd in the bar that night to appreciate it.

Live music is not the same draw as it was years ago but there is still a good supply of those that appreciate someone playing from the heart rather than fixed on trying to impress.

Everyone has something to offer, some more than others, I can really appreciate someone who produces a feeling in you during their performance rather than being the most technically proficient. Technique can be impressive, playing with heart is impressionable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">playing with heart is impressionable.
    </div></div>

live version of HOLLOW YEARS - dream theater from live @ budokan... the middle solo on guitar always grips me

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information