Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Public Open Hous meeting for leash free dog park

Guru Power Poster

Default Re: Public Open Hous meeting for leash free dog

That's the thing...I don't agree with dogs being off leash unless they're in their own yard and fenced in.

And I do know my dogs are no different off leash then they are on leash. If a strange dog is charging at them, they'll react accordingly...as I would fully expect them to. We've been attacked far too many times.

I prefer to stay within the law, even if it's not enforced. I don't want to deal with what may happen otherwise.
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

i think what the city needs is a place where pitbull owners can take their dogs to run. thanks to the ban the number of well socialized and well behaved pitbulls don't have the luxury of being able to run off leash unless their owners happen to have a large fenced in yard or know someone who does. i understand that there is a greater risk factor involved with these dogs, but there are ways of minimizing the risks.

if i had money i would buy a big chunk of land and put up a fence and have a sort of club for owners of pitbulls. i would charge a membership fee annually and would screen members dogs to ensure that the potential for violence was reduced. of course there would be rules, and maybe the property would be sectioned off so that there were several paddocks available for people to let their dogs run and play. there could be an outdoor patio area outside each paddock so that the owners could sit and relax if their dog has a playmate and is getting along fine without them yet still be able to closely watch what is going on.

its a stupid idea i know. i just hate that these dogs are looked at as the monsters of the canine world. i have known so many wonderful pitbulls and only a couple that i would consider dangerous. i wish that there some way to have the good ones certified or something so that they could enjoy such things as dog parks and muzzle free walks.... i'm looking at my dog now who is sleeping so peacefuly after our evening walk. i can see the slight impression that the muzzle leaves on her furry face, just under her eyes. its just so unfair to dogs like her. she gets along so well with every dog she encounters. one of her best dog buddies is a yorkie. its hilarious to see them play together. and yet she has to wear a contraption on her face that makes her look menacing.

i think its a good thing for dogs to socilize off thier leaches i have never had any issues down at the park

Guru Power Poster

I wouldn't have issues if my dogs were off leash, either. They'd clean out every dog that ran at them (bless their little hearts) lol

I'm not anti-dog park. I'm anti-using Topsail Island. Either way, I won't be taking my dogs there.

Default Re: Public Open Hous meeting for leash free dog park

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yo_chooch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well mill its always been and it'll always be leash free there so suck it up </div></div>

technically it is not a leash free area leashes are still supposed to be used. It is technically illegal to have your dog off leash there as it is a public place and not recognized as a "dog park" as of yet is my understanding. If they wanted to lay the law down they can issue fines for having your dog off leash.
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

I support the idea of a leash free dog park but not at Topsail Island. I don't know that I would take my dog to a leash free park. I agree with kuietgrl my dogs have are only off leash in their own fenced yard or cottage.

yes, i guess you are right, you would have a problem at topsail if your dogs were leashed and not others.

and yes, my dogs behaviour changes dramatically (sp?) when they are on leash and met other dogs, much more agressive. i searched for a reason and found the experts said the dog feels trapped by the leash and so acts agressivley (sp?).

well, i hope they can agree on something, somewhere...

Becoming a Regular Here

"the dog feels trapped by the leash"?? where'd you read that kitca I'm curious as I've not heard that one. I tend to feel that the owner's own fear or agressiveness is transmitted through the leash like a telegraph or something, I see all the time when people have dogs being approached by another, they tighten up on the rope and even pull back like something terrible is about to happen and the dog gets jumpy.

Very true, if you watch most of the time the dogs are moving in for a good sniffing when all of a sudden the human tightens up on the leash and the dogs have no idea of what spooked their humans but it had to be something they missed.
    May you always have love to share,

health to spare,

and friends that care.

Guru Power Poster

I'd suppose it's the same as a dog tied up in a yard. There's a fight or flight instinct...they're tied, they know they have nowhere to retreat to...they get defensive/aggressive.

However, if all dogs were leashed (like they should be by law) there would be no issue with that [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

i dont know where i got the trapped with the leash information. ive read stanley coran, monks of new skete, and some of ceasar milan. also lots of stuff on the internet. but i dont just take one source on the net as gospel truth. it makes perfect sense when i look at the behaviour of my dogs on leash and off leash when meeting other dogs.

i remember ceasar milan telling oprah winfrey that she was making her dogs anxious by telegraphing it down the leash, and that makes sense too.

I know with my dog that there have been times where I'd spot somebody with a dog coming and Bandit who is always eager to meet another dog will stop and glance at me as if to say "Whats wrong" and I know it is something I sent him.
    May you always have love to share,

health to spare,

and friends that care.

This is what we need in the Sault http://www.petopia.ca/

I've been there and I love it! Or a Doggycentral would be good too.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information