Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to snap

Guru Power Poster

Default I'm going to snap

My cat is driving me absolutely flippin crazy!! My bedroom is right across the hall from my daughters room. For the last week, my cat has been sitting in the hall between our two rooms and SCREAMING all friggin night! He's keeping my daughter up, I haven't slept through the night since...I don't even know when. I kicked him downstairs at least a dozen times last night. But he comes right back screaming his bloody head off!

And I have to deal with a crabby baby the entire day because he kept her up all night, too.

What the hell do I do?
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

Default Re: I'm going to snap

can you crate your cat and leave him in the basement at night? Or maybe he just wants the doors left open so he can go where he wants? Cats are strange!

Guru Power Poster

The door to our room is always left open. However, he never comes in so I believe he just wants us to be downstairs. And I'm not sleeping on the couch just so he'll shut up. If he screams all night downstairs, it still wakes me up and our basement is accessable through a hole in the kitchen floor [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img] I'm sure I'd get torn a new one for keeping him in the floor at night so I can sleep.

Not to mention, his dirty potty habits have rotted the wood floor in the closet where he's going and my house stinks beyond belief and is making me physically ill.

Becoming a Regular Here

well, maybe you can shoot it? I don't know, sounds to me like it's a dirty cat ontop of being a pain in the buttom.

BTW I don't really mean shoot it, but maybe ....oh I don't know glad it's not me!

Something must be wrong with him. Bring him for a check up. Maybe his hearing is going? My senior cat went through meowing fits before she went completely deaf.
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

ya maybe hes just freaked out...
    lots of things go in old people, so same with cats
    they just maybe dont understand what is going on, hence the meowing...

Guru Power Poster

We've got a ton of running around to do with our insurance company, bank, the car dealership...and we're towing a one year old screaming baby around with us because this [censored] cat woke us up at 6:30 this morning.

I love this stupid cat, but I'm getting sick of this. If I bring him to the vet, it will be his final visit. There's nothing wrong with him other than he's losing his freakin mind. At one point last night, I physically brough him down and shoved his nose in his full food bowl and water bowl and he was started eating like he was starving. Then he was back upstairs an hour later.

I'm just venting. My own physical health is deteriorating because of his nasty peeing habits. He used to be an incredibly clean cat.

old age....poor thing...
    i feel bad for them, they dont understand...
    but i dunno what else to tell ya....
    buy a little mouse in a cage?? lol
    does ur daughter get up during the night for feedings or anything?

Thats pretty mean! Because he is such a 'nuisance' to you and too old to rehome, I would do whats humanly right for him and bring him to the vet [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

I'm sorry but wasn't it you who posted a couple of weeks ago about your cat?
    I'm totally NOT a cat person, but I am an animal lover, I have to say that if the cat is doing all that your discribing, something must be wrong with him. Perhaps it is time for a visit to the vet? I would be having him checked and if this continues perhaps its time for the "sleep"
    The screaming you discribe sounds like he may be in pain.

As pet owners its our responsiblilty to ensure that our animals do not suffer because of our selfish needs to hold on to them.

I'm sorry if this sounds cruel, I don't mean for it to.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Guru Power Poster

LL, if I was planning on getting rid of him because he was a "nuisance", he would have been gone years ago. I'm not at all a cat person but I do love this cat. It's beyond being a nuisance at this point. He is affecting not only my own but my daughters health as well.

His screaming is not pain. If it were pain, it wouldn't stop. And why would he only be in pain at night? He's screaming because he wants someone downstairs with him and he keeps forgetting where his food is.

Call me cruel, inhumane, heartless all you want...I refuse to spend thousands of dollars to prolong his life a year.

Guru Power Poster

Like I said before, when the bad days start outnumbering the good...it's time to make that decision.

He is declining at the speed of light. Even a few months ago he was a completely different cat.

I really don't care what anyone thinks about me or what I do with my cat. I love my cat. He's been my best friend almost my entire life. I know him better than he knows himself and I trust my judgement in making the right decision for him when his time has come.

Think what you want about me. My first concern is my daughters health.

Banned

ya health issues are a concern it can t be healthy with the smell of cat pee and poop all threw the house, if it is making you sick it must be making the baby sick, and that smell is not good for baby's, kids or anyone else.
    I know its hard to get rid of a animal you've had all ur life but if its making the people in the house sick and unhealthy then it may be time to consider getting rid of the cat, i know im going to have a hell of a time getting rid of mine, they are like a child. Hope things work out for you.

kuiet, it sounds like that time has come. you are obviously at the end of your rope with this cat. he is what, 17 years old? he is showing signs of dementia. he isn't using the litter box. he is keeping you and your child up all night. he may not be in pain, but he can't be the sound and happy cat he was in his younger years. he probably doesn't know where he is or whats going on half the time. things will only continue to go downhill from here. i know its not easy. it will hurt at first, but you will adjust to the change. i think you need to do whats best for everyone, including the cat. ask yourself, how much longer can you handle things the way they are, knowing they will only get worse? good luck.

One of my cats go up and down the hall in the middle of the night singing at the top of his lungs. Some nights it can be very frustrating because I hate being woken up but, I put up with it. He's not old at all, he just likes to sing LOUDLY!!! for a long time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img] So maybe it's just a faze or something that will pass. Mine will do it every night for the longest time then stop for a few months and then start up again.
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

My Yoda will cry like that sometimes. Top of his lungs, think hes in pain kind of cry. Once he finds me, settles in for a snuggle hes good again.
    Yes its sometimes in the middle of the night and if hes not sure where I am I hollar his name till he comes. But hes just so friggen cute that we all make exceptions.

Aw...there's Aunties boy [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

One of the hardest things I have ever done is put our Angel down. She was the gentle giant, one of the best dogs ever. We knew her hips were going, hubby and son would often have to carry her up and down the stairs. She had started to mess in the house which was unlike her at all, whoever found it cleaned or yelled the loudest for me. Her last 2 weeks with us she was in diapers. As hard as it was for us to make the decision, she looked at us and told us it was her time.
    My poodle has lost most of the muscle in his back legs, and I pray that he will still have a few good years left.
    Maybe your cat is giving you subtle hints, but because you love him you are choosing to ignore.
    Not knowing you, but what you have typed about him, I would say you are probably on your last nerve. ( New baby, lack of sleep,more cleaning time). Spend some quiet time with him, take the time to say goodbye.

LL, hes mommas boy

Chaotic Chick

Sam used to howl and scream in the hallway. He was 19, hadn't used his litter box in months, and was almost bald. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] He threw up all the time but could barely eat. (My husband claimed Sam always had those problems, but he was kind of in denial). It was so hard, because my husband had Sam since he was a kitten, and my middle daughter, who was completely anti-social at the time, slept with him and wouldn't talk to anyone but Sam. His screeching was heard by the neighbours even. He wasn't in pain, he did it only at night as well (or when we were all outside in the yard). I finally had to make the decision to take him for his last vet visit (my husband still resents me for it). My husband wanted to take him to the vet and get him "better" but when I called the vet, I was told that there was nothing they could do to make him better. (I knew that, and when I told my husband he was so mad at me). We spent a couple of days with him and then took him to the vet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information