Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bringing gas across the border...

Default Re: Bringing gas across the border...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supreme Commander Of The World</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Sure the price = cheaper, but the addition of the fare and idle times and driving there and back makes it a less to none of a saving.
    </div></div>

Which is why I originally stated that I was bringing an extra can or two and why I asked about it. It is well worth it if I can get a large bulk of gas, therefore SAVING the money I would be spending to make another trip to a gas station by simply filling my car at home.

You're right...there's a crossover point where it doesn't become worth it, but I'm planning to be above that threshold.

Senior Member Miles From Nowhere's Avatar

Water will resettle rather quickly but while I'm unloading, the product in the tank is churning around pretty good so there is a very good chance that you'll get water in your gas then. If you want to avoid water in your gas for sure (at an Esso station anyway) then don't fill your car when there is a fuel tanker there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Miles From Nowhere</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't fill your car when there is a fuel tanker there.</div></div>

VERY good advice I've heard before not only for preventing water but for sediment and dirt as well.

I have a truck with a 100 litre tank. I go across regularly for gas and always bring two cans with me. On average its about 90 litres in the truck and the two cans for the total of 135 litres.

It works out as follows:

35.79 gallons of gas = 135.4 litres.
    135.4 litres @ 1.27 a litre = 171.95 here
    35.79 @ 3.58 us per gallon = 128.12 us
    Exchange = 128.12 @ 1.015 = 130.05

plus bridge fare - 1.60 each way = $3.20

Total cost $133.25 Canadian
    A savings of $ 38.70

Thats damm near a case of beer for him or a 40 of Vodka for me.

I've never gotten bad gas over the river, I have however gotten bad gas on this side.

I also buy mine across the river as my own protest to the gas prices that we pay here in the Soo.

ps these calculations are based on American gallons.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Just for the record, I may deliver Canadian gas to Canadian stations but my pockets are just as big (or small) as everyone elses. If I could, I'd be right behind you waiting on the bridge for my gas too!

Ok, Macs...where's your American flag guy? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Hey miles...since you deliver it...how much is the bulk price of gas?? Just curious?

The rack price is always lower per litre than the pump price by several cents. If the pump price is $1.25 then the rack price may be anywhere between $1.00 to $1.10 per litre. Then transportation is factored in. The station owner always takes the smallest cut which is usually about 2 or 3 cents per litre sold. There is no discount for stations when buying in bulk because it is understood from the beginning that most stations will usually go through a 50,000 litre delivery in about a day. They make a higher profit in cigarettes and lottery tickets than they do in gas.

Becoming a Regular Here

You people do know that the American Gallon is smaller then a CDN gallon.

Our gallon is 4.5 litres.

It takes more US gas to fill out gallon.

So do the calculation correctly and you will find its not HUGE savings on a 20 gallon tank of gas as a matter of fact you will save nothing like i calculated with all extra costs invloved or you may save a $1.00 or $2.00 and thats all.

Now as for extra 5 gallon jug again do the proper calculation based upon how many US gallons it tanks to Fill up Canadian Gallons.

The US gallon is 3.75 litres.

So for that 30 cents more over here your getting MORE GAS so it will cost a little bit more per litre, but less gallons over here to fill your tank, so what does that mean... you will fill it faster over here then in the US, so what does that mean... you could actually save by buying it here if you calculate it all properly with all the extra costs i stated about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supreme Commander Of The World</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You people do know that the American Gallon is smaller then a CDN gallon.

</div></div>

Yes I do know that and I factored that in in my original calculation. As stated, there is a line where buying gas over there is worth it if you buy in bulk. If you just go over and fill up your little dinky car casually, then no, its not worth it.

But thanks for hijacking my thread with something that is contradictory to my original post, and off topic.

Becoming a Regular Here

Its not off topic as it is all to do with gas buying in the states compared to here.

As I stated in my post as well I used the conversion for an american gallon.

The Us gallon is = to 3.78 litres
    the Canadian gallon is = to 4.54 litres.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supreme Commander Of The World</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You people do know that the American Gallon is smaller then a CDN gallon.

Our gallon is 4.5 litres.

It takes more US gas to fill out gallon.

So do the calculation correctly and you will find its not HUGE savings on a 20 gallon tank of gas as a matter of fact you will save nothing like i calculated with all extra costs invloved or you may save a $1.00 or $2.00 and thats all.

Now as for extra 5 gallon jug again do the proper calculation based upon how many US gallons it tanks to Fill up Canadian Gallons.

The US gallon is 3.75 litres.

So for that 30 cents more over here your getting MORE GAS so it will cost a little bit more per litre, but less gallons over here to fill your tank, so what does that mean... you will fill it faster over here then in the US, so what does that mean... you could actually save by buying it here if you calculate it all properly with all the extra costs i stated about.

</div></div>

There are 3.785 Canadian liters in an American gallon.

If a US gallon costs $3.60, for example, divide $3.60 by 3.785, you get a cost of = .95 per liter, assuming par value. A savings of 30 cents per liter.

If a Canadian gallon is 4.5 litres, the savings per Canadian 5 gallon container works out to $6.75. I container once a week is $350 per year. Worth it? Maybe.

Becoming a Regular Here

Yes and i stated getting 1-2 5 gallon jugs why you at it will save you a little more then just getting a tank full of gas after all equations are factored in.

As for being pulled in it was the USA side i did 5 times for frig all and that pisses me off so much to stay on this side of the border and i don't save anyway as i noted 20 gallon tank you don't save money when just filling it up.

Bigger the tank the more you will save.

Becoming a Regular Here

Your full of [censored] that you save $20.00 on a tank.

Becoming a Regular Here

The most that you would or possibly could save is around $13.00 to $15.20 on a 20 Gallon Tank.

Now thats not factoring the bridge fare and idle times and how much it cost you to drive on over and back.

So like i stated take bridge fare off = $4.00 there and back price total.

Then take at least $2.00 for idle time.

Then take off about $4.00 of gas to drive there and back.

Thats taking into an account that you don't idle for more then 10-15min and your a decent driver and don't goose the pedal everywhere.

So maybe a person could save maybe $3.00 to $5.00 on a 20 Gallon tank and thats MAYBE as it will factor on if you vehicle is a gas guzzler and so forth.

Becoming a Regular Here

Now heres the bigger picture a 20 gallon is not quite 20 gallons it is 19.5 to 19.6 and also you will never fill it full from the 19.5 fill point even if you ran out of gas as there will always be a little left in the tank.

Most people go over when they are close to E or on E.

So if your only filling say 16-17 gallons, you won't be saving the numbers i mentioned above as your filling up less then 20 gallons.

So it makes it more of a less interesting Drive On over for Gas.

Unless like i stated a few times now if your vehicle is a gas guzzler or you have at least a 30 gallon tank or bigger, or getting at least 2 FIVE gallon jugs to bring on back, you will save a little on the jugs, not HUGE, but a little.

I have had this argument many times with people and if you do it right you will see that i am correct that you will hardly save on a 20 gallon tank which you never will fill 20 gallons as like i mentioned most will go over when there is around 2 gallons still left in the tank, reducing any type of savings at all.

Will you just quit?? You're telling people WHO HAVE DONE IT that they don't save the money themselves.

And you ARE offtopic because I was asking what they do at the border when you have extra gas in gas cans...nothign to do if it was worth it or not.

And if I'm bringing a 22L gas can across PLUS filling up my car then IT IS worth it.

FFS man let it go you're just arguing to argue now.

Becoming a Regular Here

Nah i am not arguing to just argue, but infact making many aware that a 20 gallon tank you will not save or only save very little and not once have a denied that any extra JUGS won't save you a little money.

So factor in all the costs is all and you will then see that you don't save HUGE dollars by buying gas across the river unless like i stated many times which i not need to repeat again... two factors... big tank or gas guzzler.

I know its hard for those who maybe smoking CRACK { [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] } to realize i am right, but thats ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supreme Commander Of The World</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah i am not arguing to just argue, but infact making many aware that a 20 gallon tank you will not save or only save very little and not once have a denied that any extra JUGS won't save you a little money.

So factor in all the costs is all and you will then see that you don't save HUGE dollars by buying gas across the river unless like i stated many times which i not need to repeat again... two factors... big tank or gas guzzler.

I know its hard for those who maybe smoking CRACK { [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] } to realize i am right, but thats ok.

</div></div>

I think most people are smart enough to realize that they won't be saving HUGE dollars, the way you put it. Most people are happy to save a few bucks each time, realizing the a few bucks every trip, whether by tank or by jug, is a good thing that adds up huge over time.

And most people don't go just to fill up a gas tank. They'll take in a meal (usually cheaper), buy some groceries (often cheaper) or pick up a few things at Wally World, which in many cases are also significantly cheaper.

And your assumption regarding crack smokers just proves to me that you definitely arguing for the sake of arguing.

Becoming a Regular Here

If my math is correct:

19 gallons x 4.5 = 85.5 litres in 19 CDN Gallons

So the US gallon is about 0.715 litres less of our CDN gallon.

So you will be buying less litres in the states to equal a US gallon..... now figure it out to get the SAME amount of litres over here but in the USA.. basically 85.5 litres.

Sure the gas is a little less in price over there as it is less in litres per gallon as it is over here and rightfully so its a little less in price.

So 19 US gallons does not Equal 19 CDN gallons ... we are on the Imperial Gallon.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information