Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Info On Declawing Cats...

Default Info On Declawing Cats...

Any info is appreciated...thoughts, cost, anything...thanks...
    I Am a Firm Believer in Karma...."You Get Back from The Universe what you put into it..."

Default Re: Info On Declawing Cats...

Had our male done when he was neutered at 5 months old. He had been tearing everything up, even the bottom off of our bed! He had scratching posts, etc so we felt our only option was to declaw. We only had the front ones done so he still has his rear claws so he can get rowdy with the others.

All went smoothly except for a minor infection that was cleared up quickly. We used shredded paper for the litter box and that's about it. Can't remember the cost as it was mixed in with the neutering about five years ago.

He walks fine, functions fine and is the only cat welcome to touch my face as the others give me a bit of a poke. He's very affectionate and has no mean streak as others have indicated happened to their cats afterwards. It was worth it, except the destruction of a $2000 bed set.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

My mom got her cat at 4 weeks old and she was already ripping up the furniture so she had her front feet declawed at the same time she was spayed. She didn't have any problems and was walking around normally the next day. She still fights with the dog and she will use her back feet to protect herself if things get ruff. My personal opinion is that just like all surgery if you keep the area clean and make sure infection doesn't set in then it's okay.

3 words....dont do it. Im not going to get into a declawing war on here (Im sure "some" will try with me though) but, please do your reasearch! There are so many reasons why its banned in so many countries. Look at pictures and really see what they do when a cat is declawed. Cats need their nails like we need our fingers. Declawing is just a convience to owners. None of my cats have ever scratched our furniture. I keep their nails clipped and I have used caps in the past.

http://www.declawing.com

The following is a list of countries in which declawing cats is either illegal or considered extremely inhumane and only performed under extreme circumstances:

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Italy
    France
    Germany
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Norway
    Sweden
    Netherlands
    Northern Ireland
    Ireland
    Denmark
    Finland
    Slovenia
    Portugal
    Belgium
    Spain
    Brazil
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Well my boyfriend just bought a beautiful house...and the only way I can take my babies with me is if I declaw them...I don't want to have to give them up that is why I wanted some info...
    I Am a Firm Believer in Karma...."You Get Back from The Universe what you put into it..."

Why not put the caps on them? Get them a post? Trim their nails? From what I remember, one of your cats is a bit older isnt he? I had a cat that I adopted from the HS who was declawed, he chewed everything. The seat of my husbands recliner, bedding etc...I am 110% against declawing but "if" you are going to do it, do it when they are kittens. You may be doing more harm than good.
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

Removing testicles is also cruel and inhumane, but we still do it and actually encourage it. Not wanting to argue either but it is another point of view.

I do agree that doing it as kittens is certainly easier on them and an adult may have greater difficulties, not only with healing but adjusting to movement afterwards.

Edited to say:::::: I was looking at it from a cats point of view and trying to have a bit of humour. Geesh! I won't be back to this discussion as it is too sensitive for some viewers.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Neutering is not cruel and inhumane. Name me one country where its banned because of that.
    You remove testicles to help elimate more unwanted kittens. Also, it prevents cancer in male cats.
    If you are trying to compare the 2, good luck buddy!

Ok I was just looking for information...I had no opinion on it and I thank you for the input...but please take the arguing somewhere else...

Becoming a Regular Here

Just remember they are "YOUR CAT'S" and it's "YOUR CHOICE". Read all the info you need to know and YOU and YOU ALONE make YOUR CHOICE". Others will differ but that is them it is not you.I have had both with and without claws and they were fine. Good luck and do whats best for "YOUR BABIES".

Yes, it is YOUR opinion Sis, but keep this in mind.

I personally, will NEVER have my cats declawed. The only thing they scratch is their scratching post. These were adult cats that I trained to do this... they have not once scratched my furniture (well, since I bought this new furniture three years ago)

They NEED their claws for survival. If by some chance they happen to get out of the house, and are attacked by some animal, how will they be able to get away (ie. climb a tree) or fight back if they have no claws?

Also, you need to take into account that there may be nerve damage suffered by your pets. Not sure about you, but they walk around on those paws, and it would make for some uncomfortable periods.

Once again, it is your choice, but I strongly recommend you don't do it.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Getting warmed up...

I have a couple of cats and the bottom of my bed is scratched up quite a bit, but it's not a new bed. The frames surrounding a few of my doors are also used as scratching posts, but I leave them there for now because the door posts are the main scratching areas and if I replace them, they will just find another place to scratch. They are adults so I would never have declawing done now, but if I got another kitten, I would get it done. I just wish there was a way they could just zap the ends of their nails, round them up, and make them stop growing. That would be easier than declawing.

Banned

i wouldnt declaw them i mean its not really fair to the cat to go thru that pain i mean they were born with claws they should keep them, i just dont think its fair

Banned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MoneyTalkss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well my boyfriend just bought a beautiful house...</div></div>

whoa

declawing is inhumane and cruel, even more so in an adult cat who has had its claws its entire life. that would sort of be like removing a mans [censored] when he is in his 20's or 30's. would you do that to someone just because it was an inconvenience to you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mom got her cat at 4 weeks old and she was already ripping up the furniture so she had her front feet declawed at the same time she was spayed. She didn't have any problems and was walking around normally the next day. She still fights with the dog and she will use her back feet to protect herself if things get ruff. My personal opinion is that just like all surgery if you keep the area clean and make sure infection doesn't set in then it's okay. </div></div>

isn't 4 weeks old a little young? most cats can barely walk around at that age let alone rip up the furniture.

Banned

unless the cat is a strcictly indoor cat then maybe yes but keep the back claws still

orchid we rescued her so who are you to say 4 weeks old is to young. We saved her and my mom didn't want to have her continue to ruin the furniture. At 4 weeks old she was eating on her own and cleaning herself...AND wrecking furniture!

i've never heard of a cat having the back claws removed. are there even any vets that will do that?

well thanks for all the info...but I've decided not to do it....much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information