Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bond 2 ADSL lines together, to make one super pipe

Default Bond 2 ADSL lines together, to make one super pipe

Imagine this.

Taking 2 ADSL lines, and bonding them together into one. Up to 12Mbps download, 1.6Mbps upload. For roughly $60 to $80/month.

It is now possible, thanks to some guys who are programming what is called MLPPP into a custom Linksys firmware.

Or do 3 lines, or 4, whatever you desire.

Default Re: Bond 2 ADSL lines together, to make one super pipe

Nice, already using that technology on SHDSL for up to 22Mbps symmetrical over 4 lines, but thats nice that someone has gotten it setup on something cheaper for home use.

Will this be for a normal linksys router or for the business series? I just don't see how you would do it with a normal router unless you put a switch in front of the router and tie all the modems together if its not going to use 1 modem with multiple phone ports.

Do you have any links to this...?

So far the guys have done it for the WRT54G.

See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r204...-with-download

I was looking at this the other day. A little more than I'd like to pay right now but for downloaders that would give you a minimum of 400GB/month for $60.
    I also noticed they where doing a bonding with a single physical line with RASPPPoE. One dsl line, one modem, and one NIC.
    No speed increase but apparently it gets around the throttling.

Buy when you bond 2 together, don't you have 2 IP's instead of 1?
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Default Re: Bond 2 ADSL lines together, to make one super

Yes you need two IP's to double your speed.
    RASPPPoE allows you to make two dial-up connections on 1 line through pppoe which gives you slightly more overhead and bell's unable to decipher mlpp packets for the throttle.

Don't the packets go by protocol?
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

I not sure exactly how it works, but apparently having more than 1 connection gives you more than 1 protocol [censored] things up.

I was under the impression mlpp is a protocol established by Cisco years ago to be used for VOIP. My understanding is it splits packets up between the 2 bonded lines.
    I just don't understand if MLPP runs on top of HTTP, or if it is a completely separate protocol.
    But either way, I don't see any reason why they would not be able to scan for an throttle MLPP?

MLPPP does not give you,or require, two seperate IPs. It is bonding two dsl lines together for double the throughput.

It is the same as how in a corporate switching environment, you can have multiple runs between switches to give more bandwidth, but your IPs are all still the same.

For this to work with more than one dsl, your ISP needs to support it of course.

And the way it gets around the throttling is by the fact that PPPoE packets normally have a certain amount of overhead. But using MLPPP with PPPoE, the overhead adds another 6 bytes.

This in essence is like encrypting the traffic between you and your ISP, since the router on the other end needs to re-assemble the MLPPP packets.

Since this is at the physical layer of the OSI model, it defeats Bell, because they are scanning at Layer 3, not 2.

It can either split the packets over each line, or do round-robin alternating which line is used for each packet.

Banned

slow as hell, but free is good!

i been playing with rogers since i moved back in feb.
    is there even rogers dsl or cable internet available in ssm? besides mine?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information