Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solid State tube hybrid amp for Metal, Opinions?

Default Solid State tube hybrid amp for Metal, Opinions?

Looking for a new Head, straight plug and play, no extra effects or additional pedals needed (or wanted). I've tried Marshalls, a couple Mesa's, etc. Considering a Randall hybrid because it has the most praise for the style of music I prefer to play.

Does anyone have any opinions on other amp brands/models worth checking out? I've tried everything in the local stores, nothing does it for me. Would appreciate some suggestions since there isn't much choice locally to try.

Banned

Default Re: Solid State tube hybrid amp for Metal, Opinion

What style of music do you usually play? You looking for tonal versatility or would a "one trick pony" do (sans effects and all)? What price range?

I spent about two years narrowing down amp choices (after purchasing a Mesa rig). I was checking out everything from Diezel, Bogner, VHT, Orange, Hughes & Kettner, Soldano, Krank etc and I recently ended up with two Rivera amps (Fandango & K-Tré Reverb). I'll tell anyone to check them out, they are without a doubt one of the best sounding amps I've heard ... remember, it's all personal taste.

The above amps are a little pricier but various Riveras are boutique quality at not-so-boutique quality prices ... still a pretty penny though.

As for Hybrid I cannot offer a suggestion ... sorry, never looked at one.

EDIT: Call me blind, I didn't see "Metal" in the title ... if you're after a beautiful heavy sound then check out the K-Tre from Rivera, if that doesn't sound like what you really want then I don't know what to say. Amazing gain/sound & tight bottom end, the clean channel is a "pristine" clean with no gain control, so if you're looking to do any Texas blues kind of tones it won't happen with this amp unless you put a tube screamer or something in front.

You may notice that seemingly most "high-gain" tube amps sacrifice a good clean tone ... Rivera was able to offer both ends of the spectrum and as stated I throw an OD pedal in front for anything in between. The Fandango is more versatile but cannot quite match the gain of the Tre.

Also, the Bogner "Uberschall" (sp?) is another high gain menace, I preferred the Rivera K-Tre though. My last two picks for my high gain amp were between these two.

I have a river clubster 25 watt tube - two channel - dirty (marshall- mesa ish) and clean fender - orange ish, depending on the volume/bass treble settings, the clean is great and very useful. Also the dirty channel has a pull on the bass that kicks in the gain. This is killer for metal. now I know it's not what you want but the rivera brand is great. solid amp. my amp tech dude, we all know him, i think anyway, loves this one out of all my 5 amps. definitely worth a look.

Banned

Ya, and the last I heard you were selling that combo for a steal. Can't believe nobody took that off your hands. You see those for 1.5-2x the amount on eBay (used) that you were asking at the end; if it's the same I've seen.

For those that don't know Paul Rivera (Owner/Builder) worked for Fender during the 80's and is the creator of the Fender "Super Champ". He branched off to do his own thing because Fender kept their thumb on him. (He probably tried to fix Fender's dirty channels in general -- Is there anything worse?)

Picture Fender clean tones and as HZTP said Mesa/Marshall dirt ... only better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

I'll look up Rivera, the only problem is finding a dealer with some models to try. I don't like marshall and mesa distortion, just seems bland, looking for a tight modern sound. I'm using a solid state crate, I find it better than my buddies marshall and mesa for what I play. Tried a couple Orange Tiny Terrors (based on good reviews for metal), awful distortion like a castrated marshall. I'm a little scepticle about the rivera knowing he worked for fender, that's the last amp brand I'd ever buy (fender). Distortion channel takes priority over the clean channel for me.

I'll check out the Bogner site as well, thanks for the suggestions. I'll gladly take more if anyone has any [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Banned

Don't let the workin for Fender thing fool ya ... the dirty channel is leaps and bounds better than a Fender (Yes, Distortion channel ALWAYS takes priority [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] ) , listen to some demos. Anything from Metal to Thrash and beyond. The demos you will see might not show the tone you're after ... if that's the case listen to the "KR-7", the Tre can do the same tone only with more gain.

That's why I said better than a Mesa/Marshall (just a standard to compare against, like the gain and bottom of a Mesa Triple Rec and beyond, with the crunch and clarity of a Marshall (only better) ... I replaced my Mesa with a Rivera. The Boogie was nice but just never fully satisfied me.

Just a tone that you won't find a demo with the Tre but it can do it too, as well as a more classic crunch/heavy tone ... this is the "KR-7" (Mick Thomson Model from Slipknot), something tells me you're after a high gain scoop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYIZgwlaXc

thanks for noticing the rivera for sale Ollie, I took it off, the wife was okay with the Taylor purchase.I had to have it and thomas wall gave me a great deal as usual.
    ps
    the combo rivera in a 4x12 rocks, if you wanna hear mine as a combo call me 946 1655 or post me. it's a great little amp. i agree is it's a reference to the dirty channel, and I went rivera over the marshall (local dealer ) combo, and was skeptical for the mesa .

The Fender "Paul Rivera" designed amps were awesome. I had a PR designed Princeton Reverb that I sold to Brian Oja years ago....I still think about that one.

im pretty happy with my line 6 spider III HD75 head. it's only 75 watts but is plenty enough for what i need.
    The "insane" channel has tons of grit, and if thats not enough theres also a distortion boost. Im also a really big fan of the built in noise gate.
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    2GB Kingston Hyper-X PC8500
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

I had a line 6 spider combo . loved it until the square digital processor lines started showing, if you know what I mean. So I ended up going tube. The line 6/bogner combination could be nice, and local. That may work well for you.

http://line6.com/spidervalve/bogner.html

Banned

You have to hand it to Line 6 ... good prices and good stuff for the money. I too would like to hear the [censored] child created by Bogner/Line 6. I had a Spider II 30 Watt for a very brief period before I gave it to my nephew, it was a nice little amp for the very little money I paid for it.

Bogner can at least now market, appeal and sell to those who can't afford $3000-$3500 heads.

Banned

Forgot to say .. grats on the Taylor purchase hztp. Been trying to add an acoustic to my collection but haven't gotten around to it unfortunately. A Taylor would be real nice to get .. glad the wife eventually let it slide. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

My thing about line 6 is i dont like a lot of effects - i dont use them. the spider 3 has a pretty limited set of effects, and is the first line 6 i actually thought sounded good. I had tried some of the earlier spider series' and they just didnt do it for me. Im not generally a fan of digital either, im a solid state kinda guy.

A friend of mine bought the line 6 HD147 head... that thing is a freakin beast - sounds great through his behringer cab
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

solid state is digital..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dude705</div><div class="ubbcode-body">solid state is digital.. </div></div>

Disagreed. you can have SS without digital components.
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

thanks Ollie, my wife is great with my gear purchases. The taylor is really nice,
    different than the martin. I spent a few hours on the stoop with a cold one and the taylor. Loved every minute of it. very happy with the purchase. see tom walls, he's the best in town.
    The spider valve is a great hybrid, I would like one just to have. Even if I didn't use the effects. a modeling amp w/tube power section. may be a no brainer ike d?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: \m/ Rich \m/</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dude705</div><div class="ubbcode-body">solid state is digital.. </div></div>

Disagreed. you can have SS without digital components. </div></div>

+1 Agreed.

agreed with dude?
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

Nothing digital about my Peavey Mark VI. I agree with Rich SS been around for ages. The effects may be digital but the power section will not.
    This is digital.
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?...&cat=1&vedi=70

thank you. Im not a super gear head, but i like to think i know my stuff, at least as far as basic components are concerned.

i can at least tell the diff when tube, SS, and digital are concerned. I understand the difference between an SS, tube & digital pre and post power. I also understand the difference between the various stages. You can have a digital pre, and tube power. (Or vice versa - they sounds worlds apart. - not forgetting SS, you can have any mix of the 3 - depends what you want.)

I know damn well my line 6 is digital (that which i hate most, digital has just never done it for me)... but i love it. Been a SS guy for 15 years, never been a tube fan.

Why?? I like thin cutty crazy distortion - you can still hear it in the mix and it tears your head off if done right.

Just call me a guy who knows what he likes, regardless of it's "state". I'm hard to please... I'm very specific about my sound.

"blah blah, you're a metal guy" - bull****... i hate neck pickups and especially hate tubes... Works for some, but not for me.
    Q6600 @ 2.85ghz
    Asus P5N-D 750i
    ATi HD3870
    Antec PowerTrio 650w

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information