Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: couple ? for the photographers on this site

hp2

Default couple ? for the photographers on this site

I bought a new camera, awhile back and I have a few ? if I take indoor pics they seem really blueish black ish, I take outside pics and they are beautiful!!most times

now the other ? is Y when outside and I take pics in the snow even if I use flash do they look blueish

such as
    to apply to ?#1

I find this pic really dark considering it was very sunny out and had I used my other camera it would of been a beautiful pic

to apply to ?#2 Flash was used and we all know yesterday was not a dark day!! and if I use no flash its even darker!!

Default Re: couple ? for the photographers on this site

This was going to be another one of my educational jaunts on the net...but since you asked:

With 35mm cameras, a lot of photographers would use an 18% grey card to calibrate their internal light meter.

With digital, we have white balance. White balance deals with colour temperature..much like calibrating the colour temperature on your monitor (Values like 5000K and 9500K for example).
    You can use a grey card or a sheet of white paper to calibrate white balance.

Now for digital cameras, white balance is very important. All cameras will have an auto white balance, and most of the time, it does a good job depending upon the programming. If you go into your menu, you should see your white balance settings. You should see several different settings. One for tungsten lighting, etc. Better cameras have more settings..but most cameras will have the basics covered (Some have very extensive manual settings that you can tweak to your hearts content).

It looks that your camera may need some help with the common bluish cast found in your snow pictures. The best bet is to take several shots, changing your white balance, and view the results. You should find one that will do the trick for you.

Here is a link to more info regarding white balance.

White Balance

and

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm

Now, the other issue may be flash fallout and metering. Most small compacts have a very small flash that is only good to about 10-15 feet at the most. If your subject is further, then your photos won't be properly exposed resulting in darker photos.

Also would like to add that you can auto level your photos to bring them back to life using Photoshop or any other like program.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Your so informative Chako!
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

hp2

I appreciate it greatfully cause im ready to throw this camera, it worked so good when I first got it, now it drives me insane

Pictures can be very easily fixed, this only took "one click" but you can play with it as much as you want.

hp2

Oh I know they can be fixed but to me it now looks blury!! I tryed that and I myself was not happy with the result, IM very good with photoshop and meny other editing software, I just rather have the real thing

But thanks a million!!

Hmmm..did you change any settings on it?

There is usually some colour modes built into many cameras. Often a few settings that could change your output. For instance, that Kodak I returned recently had a vivid colour mode that made some thing brighter then the sun lol (day glow orange duck legs for example).

If it gets confusing, many models also have a reset to factory default setting so you can start fresh once again.

Likewise a big difference with DSLRs and compact cameras is this...DSLRs expect you to do the post processing afterwards. Compact cameras do it inside the camera. Many photographers do not want any processing inside the camera as they want full control, and this requires some sort of editing software. Compact cameras usually do it internally. As such, there should be a few settings inside the menu settings that you can tweak.

Hmmm...me thinks this has given me an idea for the next little info romp lol.
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

and when is the fieldtrip to show us all how to take a proper picture hahaha
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

hey skibunnie64, that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information