Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humming birds

Default Humming birds

I have purchased a humming bird feeder for my back yard and was wondering if anyone knows if they've migrated to this area yet or not?
    And in case anyone wants to know, I've looked at several sites about the food... NEVER use food coloring - it gives them cancer under their tongues. Just put the food in a colored container or have something colored to attract them to it.
    I've only read to use 4 to 1 ratio of water and sugar and to boil the water first because of chlorine that gets added.
    I know honey with water will create bacteria but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that would be more nutritious to them than sugar that I could add? I have a honey suckle vine near by but it hasn't done so well last couple years which I'm sure has much more nutrients than sugar can provide.
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Default Re: Humming birds

the Hummingbirds have been around for the past 3 weeks at my house. I have read that it is wise to wash out the feeder at least every couple of weeks to prevent bacteria from infecting the birds.

Thanks for the info. But I think you meant to say wash out the feeder every few days rather than weeks though??
    I just found this site for humming bird info if you're interested... very good info:
    http://www.birdwatchers.com:80/debtips.html
    I would hate to think I did more harm than good to the little things - the more info I can get, the better.
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

you are absolutely right, I did mean every two days. Thanks for the web site to check out!

We just got a feeder on Saturday and on Monday morning there was a hummingbird at our feeder [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information