Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help: Spay & Neuter Clinic

Default Help: Spay & Neuter Clinic

http://www.soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=17526

Soonews.ca received a phone call this morning that could go a long way in reducing the number of unwanted puppies and kittens.

The phone call was from a veterinarian who organizes spay and neuter clinics thoughout the world.

He read my column and has offered his services to help us with finding a solution to the problem of people who cannot afford spaying and neutering.
    It's almost too good to be true but here is what he's offering.

If he can get a couple of vets from the area to help him, he will work with them to do a clinic to spay and neuter pets of low-income families for FREE!
    He even pays for the supplies needed!

There would be absolutely no cost to those people who want to alter their cats and dogs, but cannot afford the fee charged by vets, due to their low income.

He said that the veterinarians here would not lose any business as the people he would be helping are not their clients now and probably won't be because of the cost of spaying and neutering.
    He could also do shelter animals at this clinic.

What an offer !
    What he does is work with a couple of vets on the first clinic , then encourages the vets to hold 1 or 2 of these clinics every year.

He does this because he loves animals and hates to see animals euthanised simply because they are born.

The tagline on his e-mail to me read: "If we don't put an end to the senseless killing of healthy adoptable pets, we run the risk of finding there is no room for us when it is our turn to enter heaven".

If our city refuses this offer it would be a huge mistake as well as tragic.

Here is a chance to benefit everyone, the City, the Humane Society, the veterinarians and most of all the animals.

Think of how much money the shelter would save if they didn't have to pay to have so many animals euthanised!

Think of the customers who, seeing this gesture of goodwill on the part of the vets, would be more inclined to keep their business on this side of the border.

But most importantly, think of how many innocent animals would not have to die!

Isn't this what everyone wants?

This is a chance to finally do something positive and concrete in the fight to stop pet overpopulation.
    If we let this chance pass us by, we have only ourselves to blame for the high number of cats and dogs that die needlessly every year.

If you are interested in this idea and would like to help organize or participate in this clinic please e-mail: karen@soonews.ca
    "From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere."
    Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Help: Spay & Neuter Clinic

My Only thing is i Understand its expensive for people to spy and neuter their animals and this a great idea...But what about all the needles and the general medical care... Can certain people afford those? To me its just one thing after another...plus how do you differentiate between a low income family who really just needs help to people who just want to get things for free?

there will always people out there who will take advantage, but the goal is to stop the unwanted pets from being born.

not to sound harsh but people have to stop and think before adopting any pet into their home.
    if you cannot afford the simplest necessessities, then you should re-evaluate owning a pet.
    it is only fair to the animal, as well yourself if the time came and you had to decide due to the animals health if you have the money for vet fees or will you have to euthanize because you don't have the available funds.
    neutering stops the need for euthanizing

Wow, sounds too good to be true. Although I really hope it isn't.
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

Banned

that is awesome if he goes threw with it, and so people dont take advantage of it, im sure they will have to show proof they are low income, like welfare or disability pay stubs or letters from welfare or disability..

I totally agree with the part about vets here not losing money. Chances are if you don't have the funds to spay or neuter, your pet also does not receive regular vet care/immunizations.

What a wonderful idea Karen, and kudos for actually doing something about our pet overpopulation.

Wrote enough to form half the internet.

make a right then left, left straight for one block then look down!

In toronto they have a month where all vets fix your pets for a very affordable price. But its much cheaper to do it there any way I only payed $180 to have my male cat done when I lived there. Here in the soo I have been quoted at least $600 per cat. thats shots pain killers everything. I took a cat across and had her done for $90 and she was dopie for a few hours but normal a few hours later.

this is awesome,this is great news!!!!
    "Just for the BIRDS!!!!"

lets not debate the should and shouldnt's, people are going to have pets. if they can get them fixed at a good price, or if a neighbour can ask to bring their pet in for them at such a price, then that means less kittens and puppies being killed. that is the whole point of a spay/neuter clinic, to get them fixed so they are not reproducing and innocent lives are not killed because of the overpopulation.

this is wonderful karen, just wonderful. lets keep telling our council and vets that this is what we want and need.

Gotta love Bob Barker!
    "Remember to spay or neuter your pets!"
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    "From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere."
    Dr. Seuss

have i not said the same thing how many times?? if you can't afford the costs of having pets, don't have them!

Just because someone cannot afford to spay or neuter their animals does not mean they should not be allowed to have them and it hink this is a wonderful thing.

"If we let this chance pass us by, we have only ourselves to blame for the high number of cats and dogs that die needlessly every year."

regardless of whether or not this chance passes us by, we have only ourselves to blame for the high number of animals euthanized each year. it certainly isn't the animals fault that people don't bother to get them fixed, and allow them to wander and reproduce. they are only doing what comes naturally to them. they can't walk into the vets office themselves and ask to be spayed or neutered. its up to us to make sure it gets done. and in that, too many of us have failed them. the idea of euthanizing healthy innocent animals sucks, but don't get angry with the people who have to do the deed, get angry with those who necessitate it.

a spay/neuter clinic is a good idea, but i doubt that it would be enough. vaccinations are a necessity for animals to prevent them from getting sick(another reason for euthanasia) and spreading disease. but many people cannot afford vaccinations. what good is spaying/neutering animals who aren't getting the other preventative treatment they need to stay healthy? sure they can't reproduce, but they can and likely will end up getting very ill, especially if they are allowed to roam.

no thats right. but if someone can't afford vaccinations, spay/neuter, regular vet care, proper nutrition, then why should they have pets? just to have some animal in their possesion and not be able to properly provide for it? that doesn't make sense. pets are there to enrich our lives. if we can't do the same for them then it isn't fair to keep them.

im in a secret location, due to my popularity..

awhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats so cute.

here you go with the shoulds and shouldnts! face it, people will have pets no matter what.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">people will have pets no matter what. </div></div>

how much you wanna bet [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif[/img]

im in a secret location, due to my popularity..

Its the same vote with children right, people have them and cant afford them ....

This situation will never be won i guess u can say, Its gunna happen weather we like it or not. you know its not fair but its life. and it is heartbreaking... to see these animals mistreated and not taken care of but all we can do is try our hardest to help ..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information