Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: debrah batcaves

Default debrah batcaves

ok, i want to see this batcave area. i dont want to disturb the bats, but i do want to see it. can anyone tell me how to get there on our 4wheelers? thx.

Default Re: debrah batcaves

I'm not sure you can get there on four wheelers, I think you have to hike it. I've never been but someone I went to school with had it on her website, I'll try to track it down for you.

This is part of her site where she talks about it and if you go to the top link about the geocaching, there are coordinates. That is all the help I can give. It is private property but not posted.
    http://johanna.wandel.ca/batcave/index.html

If you get there, let us know how it goes.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

thanks. i wondered about the hiking part, and figured wewould have to do some.

ill let you know. thc for the link.

i dont know east very well, do you know where puddingstone road and cave road are? im thinking somewhere behind debrats, but which roads to take there.

how far do you think we can go in the 4wheelers before we have to leave them and hike?

your brave kitca
    “When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself"

I'm not sure how far you'd have to go in. I'm from Bruce Mines and I've never been to those caves. I believe Barney Rubble has been there but I'm not positive. I don't think he'd mind being asked since he's a pretty nice guy.

You need to talk to someone from the area to find out where Puddingstone Road is, I haven't a clue although I'm sure I've been on it. Maybe Google Maps might be an option?
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

The Desbarats Caves are a unique geological formation as there are found in the Canadian Shield Rock,
    not the limestone or sandstone formation that most caves are found in. They can be accessed by taking the
    Government Road west of the community of Desbarats and turning onto Puddingstone road for 3 km until
    you hit Cave Road, follow it to the gravel pit were you park. The trail is right there follow it to the first
    fork take the left branch over the little bridge than hike 3km to the next major fork take the left branch and
    than follow the foot path to the rock rubble area. Climb over this rubble heading into the cliff, the cave is
    at the top of this formation. There is a second shallow cave further along the path that is easier to take pictures
    at. I have been there, if you would like to see pics of the cave, just pm me... its a nice walk...about 1 1/2 hrs....bring a good flash light. you can 4 wheel up to the last 100 yards

thanks!!! ill let you know when i do it.

i would love to see your pics, but i cant pm you, for some reason i can only reply to pms, not start them. thx.

I don't have a clue how to upload pics here , or I would...we have pics going into the cave,from inside the cave, and surrounding area....and yes, there are bats on the wall lol

The bats caves are nice but when I went there, there were no bats. I was actually trying to locate them on google satellite the other day and couldn't find em... but then, how would you?

My family lives off Puddingstone and so they've been there a few times. None of them have ever seen bats. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

well, i certainly wouldnt want to disturb any of the bats, i have read that they are fragile, especially in winter - disturbing them can/will kill them.

but i would like to see thecaves and the area. if only it would quit raining and get a little nicer out!

the bats are on the wall, we saw 20 -30 of them stuck to the side of the wall, hopefully, your comment "Yorkie" (None of them have ever seen bats.) wasn't doubting my post.......maybe your family members went at night lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: intuit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the bats are on the wall, we saw 20 -30 of them stuck to the side of the wall, hopefully, your comment "Yorkie" (None of them have ever seen bats.) wasn't doubting my post.......maybe your family members went at night lol </div></div>

No no, I am not doubting you - I'm a teensy bit jealous though. lol. We went in the mid day... when it was SUPER hot. I remember walking all that way from where the road kind of ends on Cave road, and then stepping down into the caves and the temperature just dropped. It was nice. But no bats... this was a couple years back though. So maybe something has changed? I have no idea.

I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but there are serious risks to visiting a bat cave. Bat um... poo, has airborne spores that can cause permanent lung damage. Chances are that you will go in and be fine, but the unfortunate ones that do get sick are severely handicapped for life. If you are going to go, i've been told that winter is safer. Though you should always use a mold mask of some kind. I was taken by my dad when I was young. He later heard about the risks. I haven't been since.

They're an awesome sight,(with a really big flashlight), but not something to be messed with.

thanks for the warning, sure would not want sickness, and i have heard of problems with bat guano (why they call it that instead of poop, i dont know.)

well, we made it up there this afternoon. your directions were perfect and found it no problem. it was very nice, we liked it, though im glad we had the atvs to get there, i wouldnt have wanted to hike up that (especially with all the bugs right now) i will post some photos later.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information