Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HHR Stereo Pics

Default HHR Stereo Pics

My latest project that's been keeping me up late for a couple of weeks.
    Four 12" JBLs, with 3 Alpine amps (2500 watts) in vinyl wrapped ported boxes. Pics are a bit grainy, sorry.

Started with wood

Added some fibreglass

Some more fibreglass

and even more

the vinyl

Lot's of test fits (my poor back...they're getting heavy now).
    Some trim, and crank it up.

Default Re: HHR Stereo Pics

what is that ..one of those "boom"cars ...maybe you should put little more time and effort into sound quality.

LOL How did I know you'd be the first one to reply.
    It's loud, but it sounds pretty good too. Woulda been even better if he'd bought the stuff from me. I only did the install.

What have you done lately Macs? Made drywall really, really flat?
    Ice cream doesn't have bones.

very nice work, but I prefer to keep my hearing and a lot of those boom boxes are annoying when they go down the street. Can't hear nothing but bass. Better their ears than mine. LOL
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

What wire size and fusing did you use to feed the amps?
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

I have to agree. 4 12s is overkill and very dangerous. I wouldn't sit in the car without my muffs at full power. But just like a muscle car, just cause it can go fast, doesn't mean you drive it that way all the time.
    It should do fairly well in the competitions tho.

And if you have to ask why?...because he can!

There are 2 batteries in the spare tire well, fused with 250 amp ANL fuses(4 in total), fed with 1/0 ga wire from a 260 amp alternator. Total current draw of the system is close to 300 amps.
    There's a Pioneer DVD/Navigation unit in the dash, JBL components in the front and rear doors, and 70 sq ft of Hush matt soundproofing on the sheet metal of the doors.
    I'm not sure quite what the total cost is, but it's probably worth around $15k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starterwiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL How did I know you'd be the first one to reply.
    It's loud, but it sounds pretty good too. Woulda been even better if he'd bought the stuff from me. I only did the install.

What have you done lately Macs? Made drywall really, really flat? </div></div>

Go take a Lexus or even some top of the line GM cars for a test drive and see what a good sound system sounds like.

I would say it's overkill. I can't say if that particular owner will have the volume cranked all the time, however, I do hear way too many loud stereos cranked way too loud in this city. I never asked why, because I can too, but choose not to. If I were to ask why, it would be, why would anyone torture their ears like that? I do admire your work however.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

12 inch?? call that a woofer??

21 inch Beyma.

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20ind...2021%20WOOFERS

Of course, they'd probably be pretty hard on a car body!!!

There's nothing funnier than a car going by where the bass goes woomp, woomp, and the fenders rattle in unison!!
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starterwiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL How did I know you'd be the first one to reply.

What have you done lately Macs? Made drywall really, really flat? </div></div>

Go take a Lexus or even some top of the line GM cars for a test drive and see what a good sound system sounds like. </div></div>

Ummm...Ok...
    Obviously you have no clue, do you?
    I rip that crap out and replace it with good sounding equipment, for those that can afford the best.
    Not only are the top line OEM systems made with relatively cheap components, they are also extremely limited on purpose to prevent the average consumer from blowing up their speakers on a daily basis.

But Sound is really a very subjective, and relative thing, so I suppose compared to the system in your vehicle Macs, those Lexus systems must sound wonderful to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I rip that crap out and replace it with good sounding equipment, for those that can afford the best.</div></div>

Right [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say it's overkill. I can't say if that particular owner will have the volume cranked all the time, however, I do hear way too many loud stereos cranked way too loud in this city. I never asked why, because I can too, but choose not to. If I were to ask why, it would be, why would anyone torture their ears like that? I do admire your work however.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

I know what you mean. I always warn these guys to use it with a bit of sense. Anything over 120 decibels is asking for permanent hearing loss with even a second or two of exposure.

I didn't measure the HHR yet, but as a rough guess, I'd say it must be close to 148-151 dB. Way to loud for a daily driver IMO.

Yer right, Starterwiz, he don't know.

What kind of test gear do you have for your systems??

BTW, Starterwiz, 120 db won't cause instant hearing damage. It is considered the threshold of pain for most people. A baby's cry goes over 130 db, measured personally!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I rip that crap out and replace it with good sounding equipment, for those that can afford the best.</div></div>

Right [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif[/img] </div></div>

I just did an 06 BMW M3 last month, and ripped out the factory Harmon Kardon system. Was about 5 grand to replace it with POLK, JL, and Fusion, and the customer is quite pleased. It was not bad to start with, for factory, but it sounds good now.

You think you're better than Mark Levinson ....dream on ...I bet you don't even know who Mark Levinson is ?

Click here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think you're better than Mark Levinson ....dream on ...I bet you don't even know who Mark Levinson is ?

Click here </div></div>

Sounds like the kind of guy who sells you $2500 cables to hook up your CD player. Preying on guys like....Macs!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, Starterwiz, 120 db won't cause instant hearing damage. It is considered the threshold of pain for most people. A baby's cry goes over 130 db, measured personally!!! </div></div>

Human voices are not even close to 130db. Not with any real meter anyways.
    http://www.4to40.com/recordbook/inde...category=human

90dB in 8 hours, 93db in 4 hours, 96 dB in 2 hours,....you do the math. Above 120, you are risking your ears in a few seconds of exposure.

Then my calibrated meter is whacked.

Where are you getting your numbers??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information