Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new camera

Default My new camera

Welp...I just stepped up to the plate and bought myself a new camera. The camera I had before was a Kodak CX7430, which is a great little camera for the point and shooter. I seriously considered an SLR and went about researching SLR on the net (still not a devout photographer, I was unsure what exactly SLR was about). After reading up on it, I decided that I wasn't really that serious about photography to go for an SLR model (sorry, Chako...lol), so I did some more research and decided on the Panasonic Lumix FZ50

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0078585&catid=

The reviews were very good and the 12x optical zoom was very appealing. I wasn't sure about Panasonic for cameras, although I own a number of other Panasonic products and am very happy with them. The price was right at $800, but to be on the safe side, I grabbed the 3 year extended warranty which also includes a free upgrade to the latest model should this one kaff. I will let you know how I like it and may even be persuaded to post some pics later.

Default Re: My new camera

Fancy shmancy!! Very nice BMA.......hope we'll be seeing some nice pictures while you're breaking in your new camera!
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

Sigh...for that price, you could have gotten a 6 megapixel DSLR that would take better photos with less noise.

Panasonic does have one problem, and that is their noise reduction filter isn't the best in the industry, meaning you will lose detail when you enable it. Most other manufacturers seem to have gotten that part right by now.

Here is my point. Read the next review on that Panasonic. Scroll down 2/3rds of the way and examine the noise section. That is what I mean.
    Panasonic Review

And then compare it with the Sony H5 (similar class camera)
    Sony Review

and then compare it to the Nikon D40 DSLR (same price but way better noise handling...like most DSLRs out there)
    Nikon Review

DSLRs have larger image sensors, which equate to better noise handling. Compact cameras have smaller sensors, and the higher the megapixels, the worst the images will be if the ISO has to be upped for low light conditions.

That Panasonic sure does look sweet though, and there are ways around the noise issue. You could disable it in camera (if you can) and run the photos through "Noiseware Community Edition" which is free for download HERE.

Other then that..I hope you enjoy the new toy, and do post some pics. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

If used outdoors, or in good light there is nothing wrong with the Lumix. The achiles heel is in low light situations...remedied to a great extent with a quality add on flash. Don't worry BMA you got a great camera..ignore the naysayers who very likely have never used one and rely solely on internet info.
    Note to Chako: There is no way that any DSLR, for the SAME PRICE, will give you the same bang for the buck. By that I mean you get a Leica lens up to what 420mm equiv??? How much would the same quality of lens cost for the DSLR? $1500? Plus the body and basic lens and you're lookin $2k plus. Secondly, buddy just got a new toy and you rain on his parade??? Nice.... ps if you keep the ISO at or under 100 on the FZ30(which I have) noise is not an issue, unless, like I said you're in low light. From what I've heard and seen the FZ50 is a considerable improvement.
    It's time to pay

Why would you buy a camera that is only good in good light or outdoors?

Frankly, Panasonic has always trailed all other makers in their noise suppression algorithms. In fact, I have used both the FZ30 and the FZ50 before. I didn't like the photos personally. I always couch internet info with experience...thank you.

Panasonic has a lot going for it, but the loss of photo quality is a major issue in my books, as the quality of a camera's photo is all important to me and I think that is the sole reason why anyone would buy a camera in the first place.

Also, you may need to reread my whole posting. I was warning him of what I know is fact. I am still waiting for him to post some photos. I was not shooting his new camera at all.

I personally would like someone to inform me of what is wrong with a camera if anything at all that I was either thinking of may have purchased. Besides, BMA and I go way back, and he knows I would do nothing to insult him or injure his pride.

I was just being informative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Besides, BMA and I go way back, and he knows I would do nothing to insult him or injure his pride.
    </div></div>

That's right! I'm bigger than him... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

Lol..by a few inches if I recall correctly [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

So, how are you enjoying the camera? When are you going to post a few pictures?

Well, I am very green at most of the settings...I'm used to the point and shoot camera. I shot this just to see what I'd get. I've set the autofocus on the macro setting and the ISO is set at 100. Once I RTFM, I'll be able to experiment some more.

Horrible Horrible Horrible, but that is ok that it is horrible that you can afford one of those right now as i wanted the same camera last week on sale elsewhere for $699.00 CDN after a rebate and i did not get it in time before the sale was over.

By the way nice camera and don't listen to those who are against it as it is a great camera.

Oh and nice porpoise pic.

Lol..and here I thought I was being helpful with knowledge.

Well ok madmax..care to explain these circled areas then?

B.M.A, nice photo. I would take more photos with different settings and see if that mottling disappears. I strongly think it may be to the issue that I had with the copies of the Panasonics I tried and listed above on the net.

But you know, so long as you are happy with the camera that is all that counts. I think I have said enough. Who knows who might come in here next and disapprove of constructive criticism?

Obviously my eye is not as trained as yours...I can see a faint pinkish blotching, is that what I'm supposed to be seeing? It's too faint that I would worry about it, but in any case what would I be looking at, setting-wise, to reduce or eliminate that...or is that a problem with the camera itself? I'm accepting criticism from someone who knows. I'm ignorant when it comes to photography but not unwilling to learn.

I think the main point is that if your not concerned about it and it is ok to you..then don't worry about it and enjoy the camera. When I bought my Sony, I was seriously looking at that Panasonic. There are a lot of things to like about it. That mottling would just drive me up the wall though. To be honest and fair, the Sony suffers from some purple fringing, which the Panasonic doesn't.

The settings I was talking about would involve trying ISO 80, flash on/off, program mode instead of manual, try the non macro mode, etc. Even setting the lens at different aperture values could make the difference. I noted that you used wide open f2.8 for that photo. Most lenses, the sweet spot is F8 (but that differs from lens to lens).

As for learning...just keep taking pictures and have fun doing it. The rest will come in its own good time. I don't want to sound like some crusty grognard trying to rain on everyone’s parade lol.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask. I will do my utmost to give you good honest info to the best of my ability.

Oh and be sure to post more photos. I promise I won't tear them apart :P

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information