Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okay more Gastric Bypass questions

Default Okay more Gastric Bypass questions

Hey,

I have some more questions. What exactly does OHIP cover for the surgery? I assume all they cover is the hospital and surgery and you have to cover your own hotel and airfare? Am I right?

By the way Kelbear, you look amazing in the videos! So much confidence. I can only hope to look half as good as you!

Default Re: Okay more Gastric Bypass questions

I am also curious if there is a certain weight or criteria you must meet to be eligable for the bypass [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] And if you have it done in Vegas how long are you there for?

OHIP only covers hospital cost and surgery, you are on your own for travel and hotel cost...but you could claim that on income tax under medical is my understanding

To be eligable you have to have a BMI over 40 and/or other health risks
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

you are in vegas for a week. you must stay within an hour and ahalf of the hospital (in case there are any complications) for a week after surgery. it may have changed a bit, but i got to town the day before surgery.

there is a criteria you must meet to be eligable for ohip to cover the bypass, however, if you pay it yourself the criteria are not as bad. most folks have an average of 100 lbs to loose. many if not most of the american people who get this surgery take out a loan and pay for it themselves as it is not covered by insurance. we are very very lucky with ohip.

i am thrilled with my surgery, it has changed my life in so many positive ways. i would recommend it.

Dr. Rutledge paid for my hotel for eight days in vegas [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    I was very fortunate. Its a summer thing he is running for out of state or country patients. I would highly recommend this surgury. I am a less than a week out and feel fantastic. I have eaten eggs and toast already . zero nauseua and sometimes have to check my stitches to see if i really had the surgury
    “When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself"

Wow that was very nice of the Doc. Where did you stay in Vegas?
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

I stayed in the feista resort in henderson, which is five minutes to vegas. The same little town the hospital is in.

what are you doing eating foods like that already, .... you are only asking for trouble Barb.

Follow the diet more strictly or you will be in trouble. Does Routledge know you are eating this?!
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

I nibbled on toast this morning and learnt a lesson.. Its back to gator aid and yogurt.. I felt horrible
    thanks handyman

Ok, where does one start? I know we need to get OHIP approval, how long does this process take? Does the Doctor fill this portion out? Also, do we need testing for sleep apnea? What kind of questions does the psychiatrist need to answer?

there is just so much, it seems kinda hopeless [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] But i'm ready and don't want to give up.

Buckshot I am in the same boat as you. I have an appointment on the 4th of September to meet with my doctor to have him fill out the paperwork to get OHIP approval but it does seem like a lot of stuff to do to get OHIP approval.

253-5735 if your interested in an informative meeting [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.clos.net

Babzz I would love to go to that meeting if I was in the Sault but unfortunately I live in Brantford (7 hours away). Did you decide where you wanted to have the surgery done and put it on the paperwork or does the doctor put it down? How much did you get charged for the doctor to fill out the paperwork?

I filled in the out of country form and had my doc sign it..

http://www.mgbhelp.com/

Okay I have been reading the differences between GB and MGB, why did you choose the Mini? I have read (through a book I am reading right now) that Mini has more complications down the road and a higher mortality rate. Also I am trying to get an idea of what kind of money I will need to put out in doing this (ie what the doctor charged for filing out the paperwork, etc)

My doc didn't charge a dime to fill out any paper work... as for the complications and mortality rates... I don't think what your reading is accurate.... I will have to get back to you on that...

The book I am reading is The Patients Guide to Weight Loss Surgery: Everything you need to know about Gastric Bypass & Bariatric Surgery. It also said that the MGB patients have a higher chance of developing problems with reflux. I was told by my doctor that it would cost around $150 - $200 to fill out the paperwork.

Never heard of the book... but who wrote it and how reliable is it?? What you should do it just go on the MGB site.. and join the message board and talk to people who have had the MGB. Each sugery has it's drawbacks.. and it's benefits. All I know is that I made the best decision for me... I have no regrets and would do it again a million times over if I had to..

Also if your doc says that it is going to cost 150-200 to fill out the paper work then that is what it's going to cost. I know about 4 people who didn't have to pay a dime... but all docs are different..

Perhaps because I live in Southern Ontario and my doctor likes to charge for everything is why I get the joy of paying. The money isn't an issue. I will pay what I have to to get this going and do this. And please don't think I am attacking you or anything about the MGB, I am not, I just want to make sure I understand all the pros and cons of each surgery, KWIM?

i did alot of research before my surgery. and before that my best friend who had the surgery (and has her masters in nursing and knows how to research and read medical terminilogy(sp?) did a ton of research) and the mgb was the absolute clear winter. in fact, i personally would be worried about a rny.

yes, the mgb site has a ton of information, but just to be safe and play devils advocate here, maybe it is alittle not as objective as an independant. from my research the mortaility rate was much lower in mgb and the complication rate and the problems with reflux were addressed as much better because of the more natural shape of the new pouch.

keep asking questions and keep reading and researching untill you are 100% comfortable.

i had the surgery a little over 2 years ago and i am so very thrilled with my results and my life. i would recommend it, in fact i do to anyone who asks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information