Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lap-Band Surgery

Default Lap-Band Surgery

Was wondering if anyone has had it and knows about the cost as it is not covered. Apparently you would have to go to Toronto for it as no one here does it. My doctor only has one patient who has had it done so he doesn't really know too much about it.
    Any infor would be greatly appreciated.
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

Default Re: Lap-Band Surgery

I am in the process of arranging to have "Mini-Gastric Bypass" surgery in Bay City, Michigan. The surgery is $18,000.00, but if OHIP approves it, it is covered. It is the ONLY bariatric surgery you should probably consider. I have researched the topic extensively, and for me there is no other choice.

This surgery is the newest state of the art technology, and is done laporscopically, ... five ports into your abdomen. If your doctor should recommend a mini-gastric bypass surgery that is out of Traverse City or Detroit, it is not the same surgery.

I know two people personally who have had the surgery in Bay City, and they swear by it.

If you want to learn more go to clos.net which is their official website. You also might want to google "Gil Gerard, the Mini Gastric Bypass" and watch the video, ... it is 4 parts. very impressive.

Good luck. If you want anymore info, PM me.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Banned

i know a girl who had it done, she was almost 400 pounds, she is now 120, she lost lots of weight, but she was deathly ill all the time, it s not good for u, ohip will only cover it if u extremley obesse and your weight is affecting you health. I will ask her more about where she had it done and how much it was and i will pm u. Oh ya she diden t go to toronto, she went to sudbury i m pretty sure

Ok thanks Shawns Girl. It sounds to me like she might have had the gastric bypass surgery which is different from this lap band surgery. This surgery is way less invasive.
    Thanks for the info tho.

Tippikitty - we started a support group here in the Sault, it is on the last thursday of every month and we had about a dozen people there. They range from interested in the surgery - to in the process of having surgery - to haveing had the surgery. There were people there that had the mini gastric - the lap band and the Roux-en-y. They all had some degree of success, some slow some fast.

HandyMan the mini gastric is very similar to the Roux en Y as they are both done laproscopically and both have 5 incisions. They both have their drawbacks and their benefits.

Shawns Girl - Ohip will cover if you have 100 lbs or more to loose, have a BMI over 40 or (35 with CoMorbidities)which are life threatening conditions such as diabetes, Sleep apnea or High blood Pressure. I know some people who have had the surgery in the past have had complications but not everyone is in the same boat.

The lap band is not covered by OHIP but you can pay for it your self at about $16000 US contact suzikew on here for more details about it.

I wonder why Ohip will cover one surgery but not the other. I'll have to look into the mini by gastric. I wish I hadn't missed that meeting this month. I have tons of questions.

Banned

yes tippi she had the gastric bypass which is diffrent sorry thought it was the same thing. Good luck and i hope u can find a doctor who wont charge u a ton of money

TippiKitty - the lap band is not covered by Ohip because they consider it to be cosmetic surgery and not very effective. It is effective if you use the procedure properly but it is reversable by having the band removed. The other surgeries are also reversable but it is way more complicated and every doctor will tell you that it is not reversable so that you don't go in thinking that if you don't like this you can go back. There are doctors in the states who's whole practice is reversing this surgery. Having said that you have to have very good reasons for having it reversed (ie Imminent death and malnutrition) and the outcome sometimes is no better than the original surgery.

From my understanding with the lap band you can open it and close it in cases where you may want to become pregnant. They just open it back up so you can have a healthy pregnancy and after your pregnancy they can close the band again.

it is actually a water activated band that has an access under the skin. Want it looser remove some water want to eat less put water in with a syringe. (This is only to be done by the doctor) This is only what I have read you would have to talk to Sue to learn more about it.Sue (Robinson) Wilkins at 705-254-3997 or weewilkins@yahoo.ca

Thanks baileydog. I was looking up mini by pass and I think that it is covered. Any thoughts on that? I know it's a lot more invasive but I think it's covered which makes a huge difference unfortunately.

yes the mini is covered and it is only a little more invasive than the lap band in that there is some stapleing going on to make the stomach smaller and reroute the intestine. My wife knows a guy that had it last week in grand rapids and he returned to work yesterday. The surgery is about 1 hour long. This surgery is considered a restrictive/malabsorbive surgery in that you can only eata limited amount of food (smaller stomach) and what you do eat the bypassed intestine limits the amount of calories and nutrients absorbed. The lap band is strictly a restrictive surgery. However you have to be prepared to take vitamins for the rest of your life to make up what you miss out of the food as the part of the intestine that is bypassed is the area that certain vitamins would normally be absorbed.

OHIP currently considers LapBand a cosmetic surgery so that's why it isn't covered. it cost my friend $16,000 CDN but she had to have hers done in the hospital vs the clinic as she has severe sleep apnea so that cost $1000 more. There's a few docs in Toronto doing this and the surgeons in Traverse City are now doing Lap-band too.

Then there is the expense of travelling to Toronto. There is no coverage for this but the travel expenses are tax deductible.

Not a problem re missing the meeting. I think we are going to have information sessions monthly or every 6 weeks for people like you who are for info re weight loss surgery. We decided to do this separately from the regular support group because there is so much info to digest.

At the 1st support meeting there were people who have had the RNY gastric bypass in traverse City, people who are waiting for a date, 2 women who have had the miniGB and one woman who had the LapBand done in Toronto. Please remember that weight loss surgery is only a tool!! Everyone has to research what procedure is best for him/her. There are pros and cons to every procedure. Unfortunately, the docs in town really know very little about the procedures and how to get approval.

Email me if you would like to attend an info session or if you've had WLS and would like to attend the monthly support group, which is being held the last Thursday of every month--so the next one is Feb. 22 at 6:30 PM.

weewilkins@yahoo.ca

Re the pregnancy thing. Many obese women have problems with fertility because estrogen is stored in the fat and keeps us from ovulating. Once you start losing weight, these women can become fertile as they resume ovulating. So they say that you should use birth control for 18 months after weight loss surgery. Yes, with the band they can release the restriction. since I had surgery 15 months ago, I've met some young women who have had RNY gastric bypass--and have had very successful preganacies with normal weight gain and nutritional intake. Actually these people were far more in tune with the nutritional needs than some who have not had the surgery. let's face it, despite our size, most obese people suffer from malnutrtion not in the sense that they aren't getting enough but in the sense that the foods we eat aren't very nutrtional. I know that when my pre-op diet was looked at--on average, I was only getting half the protein/day that I should have been eating.

Handyman--I had many health problems before my surgery and I'm not sure if the miniGB is done in a clinic or a hospital but I needed the full support offered in a hospital setting. so for me it was the Mayo Clinic or Traverse City where the risks could be best managed. I had the procedure done laparascopically with only 5 little incisions and I had my gall bladder removed at the same time. I was/am very happy with my decision and have had no post-op complications.

Yes I'm very interested in the next meeting. I will mark it down on my calendar.
    Thanks again for the info.

i had the mini gastric bypass done 10 months ago and i am thrilled with it. it was very scary and a difficult decision to make, but now, i just dont know what i was so worried about. i have no problems at all.

i did extensive research and decided that the MGB (mini gastric bypass) is the only surgery i would want, and i am so very glad that i had it!!!

i had my surgery and was out of the hospital the next day, and was shopping 3 days later. i returned to work the following week. i was tired for the first little while, but i adjusted my protien levels, and have felt fine ever since.

id be a bit leary of the band, ive read enough drawbacks. besides, the mgb costs the same, if ohip doesnt cover it, you can just pay yourself and get it done for the same as getting the band. and the mgb is perminent (however it is reversable) there are several people who have had pregnancies since their surgery. there is a website, and information forum for anyone interested. http://www.clos.net if you are interested.

and to the person going to bay city soon, you will love it there, all the staff are so wonderful. the doctor, all thhe hospital staff, excellent care. there are quite a few of us mbgers here in the soo!

I thought that the lap band surgery was not available in Canada?
    If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.

The lap band surgery is available in Toronto.
    Thanks kita for the link. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

I got a response back from OHIP in only 2 weeks, they want me to have a psyc evaluation, b4 they approve it, I know I won't have a problem with that... I have to have one done for the CLOS packet anyway....whoooohoooo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information