Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: nitrogen in tires???

Default nitrogen in tires???

i herd an ad yesturday on the radio stating for 21.95 you can get nitrogen put in your tires....why would you do that??
    Men might wear the pants in the house, but women are the belts that hold them up!

Default Re: nitrogen in tires???

This is what I've read about it:

Copied from:
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html

"Most tires are filled with compressed air, which when dry consists of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume. Water vapor (humidity) can make up as much as 5 percent of the volume of air under worst-case conditions. Filling your tires with nitrogen mainly does two things: it eliminates moisture, and it replaces skinny oxygen molecules with fat nitrogen molecules, reducing the rate at which compressed gas diffuses through porous tire walls. That means, theoretically at least, that a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer, leading to more uniform tire wear and better gas mileage. The commonly quoted figure is that tires inflated to 32 psi get 3 percent better mileage than at 24 psi."
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

J*B

I'll just continue to check my tire pressure.. What a rip!!

cool thank you i never even herd of that befor thank you
    cheers no doubt i will use the free air at canadian tire too
    Men might wear the pants in the house, but women are the belts that hold them up!

hp2

I do not know if it is the same stuff my hubby had put in his work truck a dually.. but IT helps balance them.. In stead of calcium. Like they use in tractor tires.. works the same though

Like I said I do not know if it was nitrogen but he had GCR put something other then Calcium in thme

personally I wouldn't waste my money on it. I had heard about and had looked at it before, thinking it might be better in the long run for milage ect. But I dont' think that the difference is worth it.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

It is for race cars. What it does is it keeps the tires at optimal pressure under varying temperature because it's a less compressable gas then oxygen.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Filling your tires with nitrogen helps them fill their bank account with money.

For an extra 39.95, they'll rotate your spark plugs and install a new buckle on your timing belt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not know if it is the same stuff my hubby had put in his work truck a dually.. but IT helps balance them.. In stead of calcium. Like they use in tractor tires.. works the same though

Like I said I do not know if it was nitrogen but he had GCR put something other then Calcium in thme </div></div>

Calcium mixed with water is used in tractor tires to give more weight (not on the bearings) for better traction.

A new product used is more envronmentally safe. But about 10 times more money.

Nitrogen is a gas, and every time you take a breath anout 75 percent is inert nitrogen.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is for race cars. What it does is it keeps the tires at optimal pressure under varying temperature because it's a less compressable gas then oxygen. </div></div>

Nitrogen is used at Bonneville for very high speed record cars. I don't think it's used in any other race cars.

BTW, I use the sidewall maximum pressure number, NOT the pressure on the door well. That number is just for better ride.

I have nitrogen in my tires. Came that way from the dealership.

Much smoother ride, and I don't have to worry about the temperature changes through the year affecting my tire pressure.

I get free refills on it for life too.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

The Race Car application also allow the circumference of the tire to remain constant or as it was set.
    To turn left the inside tire have to be less in circumference than the outside tires.
    Nitrogen helps keep these crucial setting constant and at the measurement the Crew Chief set.
    For street application it's overkill.
    Just check it regularly and use the free stuff.

Banned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nitrogen in my tires. Came that way from the dealership.

Much smoother ride, and I don't have to worry about the temperature changes through the year affecting my tire pressure.

I get free refills on it for life too. </div></div>

When you buy new and you get hydrogen included, how do you know if it the Hydrogen or the new tires?
    Did you put it in old tires?
    Have you taken the hydrogen out and replace it with air to do a proper A B comparison?

Banned

There is a powder or liquid that is put inside a truck tire to help with the balancing.
    The larger tire is difficult to spin balance like a car tire.
    The powder is used to compensate for this.

Appears I was wrong. nascar DOES use nitrogen.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/nascar5.htm

I believe formula 1 cars use nitrogen, I could stand corrected.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

No, Anapeg, you're right.

http://www.acppubs.com/article/ca6291735.html

"While the trend toward nitrogen inflation is relatively "new" to the truck and bus tire market, it has been long used in tires on Formula One, Indy, Le Mans, and NASCAR racecars; commercial and military aircraft; military vehicles; heavy off-road construction equipment; and the Space Shuttle. The Moon Buggy had its tires inflated with nitrogen. Also, the Tour de France bikes use nitrogen in their tires. Nitrogen is environmentally safe and non-combustible."

Interesting technology.

I wonder how soon Just Lubes will offer it??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ByrdDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Filling your tires with nitrogen helps them fill their bank account with money.

For an extra 39.95, they'll rotate your spark plugs and install a new buckle on your timing belt. </div></div>Don't forget changing the blinker fluid and filter, and greasing the muffler bearings.

I was under the impression the moon buggy had tires made of some mesh compound. I must have either misread or misunderstood. Oh and Short Circutz, while your at it check the giggling pin on the laughing shaft. Grease for the high speed roller bearings on the muffler is critical, I prefer slipenfal lubes my self.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information