Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Build --- benchmarks - Q6600 & ATI 4850 Card

Default New Build --- benchmarks - Q6600 & ATI 4850 Card

Well i finally got my new build together and just ran a stock CPU 3dmark06 test. The video card (1 x HIS 4850) is OCed at 700/1100 for this test, but CPU is at stock and system memory is at DDR2 800, but it is PC2-1000 2x2GB = 4GB sticks.

I left the ATI drivers (8.7 official) at whatever the default installation settings are at, so nothing was changed.

This score from previous build gained around a 1200 point status.

Previous build was AMD 5000+ Black Edition Overclocked @ 3150mhz and all other stuff was same settings and card speed and memory as well.

Goes to show what a 2.4ghz stock Quad-Core can do to a AMD 5000+ BE Overclocked.

I will be OCing this CPU, but to what ghz i don't know what it can do yet, but the average is 3.2-3.6ghz.

Operating system used was Vista 64-bit with all updates and SP1 installed.

I will do more benchmarks soon like 3Dmark Vantage at stock CPU and post in here.

Default Re: New Build --- benchmarks - Q6600 & ATI 4850 Card

Well is the stock CPU 3dmark vantage .. all settings in driver and video card are same as above 3dmark06 benchmark.

The score is about 1248 more points then my previous OC'ed AMD 5000+ BE build.

When i OC the CPU i will compare what this build can do so others may want a similar build setup or compare against what they have now.

I like to mention the new motherboard i picked is a Asus P5Q Deluxe.

Nice stuff. I like the 4800 series.

I have a nice 3.4GHz OC on my Q6600, @ 1.325V. The EVGA FTW motherboards are wild for any CPU/build, except Xfire setup...lol.

My scores were 17,844 for 3Dmark06 and 12,092 on Vantage.

What I'd love to see is one of Mboy's 4870's in there, with no other changes to see the pure difference between a 4850 and 4870. Or yours in Mboy's...lmao.

Well i OC'ed this Q6600 to 3.4ghz and just did a 3Dmark 06 benchmark.

Same thing as last posts above Stock Driver settings, which is not the performance settings.

1 X 4850 OC'ed to 700/1100 i can do 750/1100, but on average ppl can do 700/1100 from the ati CCC overdrive option, keep in mind the drivers are in infancy still.

My DDR2 is now at DDR2 1008mhz, thats 2x 2gb = 4G rated speed is DDR2 1000mhz.

This score is about 2500-2550 more points then stock CPU score.

Now Mboy67's Rig 1 x 4870 gets around just under 17000 from what i recall, but he is also at 3.6ghz on his quad-core Q9450.

Here is the kicker i can do 3.6ghz, but temps are to high for my liking right now and i will in very near future be picking up a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

I am using my Ninja Rev B right now, it is OK/Decent for 3.0-3.2ghz and 3.4ghz is pushing it, 3.6ghz is beyond what i like in temps and as for a matter of fact anyones.

I may do a 3.6ghz run as running 3Dmark does not push it beyond the temps i like, but Orthos Prime surely does and as for 3.4ghs i was breaking in the cpu for 2 hours at a time (2 -3 times today) when doing 3.4ghz testing for minimal stability for now.

Anyhoo here is the results.

I may do a 3D Vantage test tonight or tommorow at 3.4ghz and post it.

Now Filthy are you running 2 cards or one and what is OC specs of it or them? ... keep in mind ppl that Nvidia has Physics Drivers out now that help/enhance scores in 3Dmark apps over ATI at the present moment. Ati is working on their Havok Drivers so in time we will see much better results.

Ok i just ran a 3Dmark Vantage @ 3.4ghz to add to my above score. I figured i run it back to back to the 3Dmark 06 test.

I never rebooted incase anyone is wondering to help with a fresh score or higher in some instances for any of my test results. These are just pure scores after being on PC most of the day and just ran them.

So here it is and as i expected it is not a benchmark that is easy to score higher and higher as a lot is needed to produce 1000 more points.

It is like the old days of 3Dmark 06 that a HECK of an OC on cards only improved score of about 500 points. Well in this present day on 3Dmark Vantage it is proving to be like the old days of 3Dmark 06. Therefore CPU ghz is proving that at 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz on a quad-core only improved score of about 500-550 points and as many 1 x GPU cards are OC'ed higher the score may only improve in similar amounts 500-800 at best.

Case anyone was wondering:

During all my testing i did not even state what Q6600 stepping i have... Thks for the PM's.

Well it is a Stepping B and the revision is G0. My Vid under load for the CPU is 1.2875 (Don't go by the stock VID that Intel SpeedStepp Shows or EIST as many get confused on that, it is signifiacntly lower, which is not the TRUE VID). Its not a bad VID on this CPU, considering any lessors VID's out there are to far in between to be had.

This CPU i bought brand new CPU, not used and it is of a june packaging date. Just goes to show that there is still some great/decent Q6600's still out there being sold and with good/great cooling. The CPU's can oc really nice on a good/great mobo.

There is the B3 Q6600 out there and they run hotter and many can't OC them as well, but there is many that can, so it is like always the luck of the draw.

There is a bug in CPU-Z as it shows memory as DDR3, but it DDR2.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

You talking about this...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=THERMALRIGHT

It's solid and sexy...lol.

I'm running;
    Q6600 @ 3.4GHz 1.325V(B G0) 32*C idle w/ Gigabyte Power Pro cooler
    2x XFX 8800GTS 512MB 750/1800/2200 (fans @ 60%) 42*C idle
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW (FSB 1512MHZ) 28*c idle

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23531

That is the one he's getting.
    If Your reading this the topic must be boring.

Actually no it is the non-black model i am looking to buy, but its cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23531

My Ninja REV B idle is around 30 @ 3.4ghz, the everest temp says 36C, but it is off by at least 6C.

I have a laser heat sensor probe (fairly accurate readings) and when i point it right on the BASE block of heatsink it is only 30C right now Idle.

When Priming with Orthos the cores by everest and cortemp read 59-63-62-68 and IDLE well everest lastest beta too and previous 4 version needs to be recalibrated as it shows 68-69C on THE CPU Temp. When i tested with the probe (like a laser pointer thing).

The OC temp priming at base is only 40C-43C. This is running orthos for about 30min, so the everest CPU temp is off by 20-22C reading wrong for the winbond sensor.

I knew it could not be 60C at base as the heatsink was still cool to touch and felt like 50C, i touched so many to often to know what 50C kinda fells like and what around 40C is about.

The difference in OCing will be the newer Heatsink will bring the TOP OC temps down or keep them lower on cores by around 10-20C and as for idle maybe 5C less.

Now i plan on getting this fan too at same time of purchase as heatsink and this will make SWEETER OCing possible not only this CPU, but next generations i a hoping, but one never knows about new mobo's and stuff for compatibility, but time will tell.

Again a lot cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Noctua

Now i guess (Filthy) your running 2 X 8800 GTS 512MB cards right? OC'ed pretty high?

If so then Mboy67 did a 3Dmark 06 run again last night only on 1 x 4870 and it was 16,743, his 2 x 4870's get around 20,x-x-x and he is at 3.6ghz on his quad-core Q9450.

Now i am defragging today to see if any points can be achieved more... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] ... i don't think so, but sometimes a nice defrag nevers hurts.

Yes Mboy's CPU blows ours away, but his cards are not too much better than mine. I'm waiting for next gen cards before an upgrade and will look at new CPU's then. For now our 3.4GHz 8MB LV2 quads are plenty powerful.

I like your setup maxy and the time and effort you put into your tech, I am pretty much the same. It's as fun to tweak and test as it is to play monster games.

Well i would not state the Q9450 blows the Q6600 away as in real tests it is only about 15% overall faster = not much unless you a video encoding freakola.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

As for gaming it is the same.
    As for benchmarks = similar results based upon rig setups.
    As for price it is about $100-$130.00 more.
    As for temps it is about 10C cooler, but thats only based upon OCing and proper cooling on a Q6600 can get good results.
    As for Ocing they can be very similar based on CPU's and rig setups.

So again the Q9450 does not blow ours away, but the NEWER Q4's will have about a 20-30% faster over ours and about 15%-20% over the Q9450's.... Again only good for encoding all that stuff .... as for gaming = similar results and so forth.... as for price.. well thats going to be a crazy thing on the newer cpu's.

Vcore on many ppl's Q9450's is around 1.30-1.35 to get 3.6ghz, but on the Q6600 many need 1.38-1.40-1.45.

Yes as for you selling your cards off and getting 2 x 4870 is not overall beneficial to you, but selling your cards off and maybe getting 1 x 4870 X2 card or two of them in near or just distance future would be a ROCKING system, but again price performance is always the factor.

In my build this time round i went lower price as i could find for the best overall performance against what others have with 1x4870 and a quad-core build and i must say i am very impressed with my little setup of 1 x 4850 (OC'ed) and Q6600 (OC'ed) and a P5Q Deluxe P45 motherboard.

I may in the near/distance furture get another HIS 4850 and i will be good for 24" monitor 1920 resolution all maxed out and not severaly lose any FPS in many games of today and hopefully near future.

I am trying to get 3.6ghz stable out of this Q6600 which can only be possible with better cooler, but again even with that ... i may never get 100% stability, i have done 3.6ghz and ran small tests, but not 100% stable .. orthos primed for 30min.. i stopped it as to high temps for now.

Well like i thought .... after a defrag i only gained about 20 more points in 3Dmark 06.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

One thing i like to mention about the P5Q deluxe mobo ... it has the ExpressGate SSD onboard the mobo which allows you to boot up to internet in about 5 secs ... it is a linux based OS.. that is cool when i am not needing to loadup Windows and just want to browse internet.

It also allows you to access a USB Thumb Drive for photo editing and such and it also has Skype in it and chat ip program... cool .. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

You can't download to it directly as it is based in the bios and SSD memory chip, but you can download to a USB thumb drive or burn things to CD/Dvd like Bios or what have you.

---------

Also one other cool feature is the Asus EZ Flash option (not part of expressgate) just a cool feature of the mobo. You can flash the bios with a thumb Drive formated to FAT and just put the bios file on it and Alt-F2 into the EZ Flash menu and flash, not like the old days of a floppy drive.... now the bios is 2mb anyway so it will not fit on a standard floppy.

I don't do Asus anymore, but they make some nice boards.

I can get 3.6GHz stable on mine but requires 1.475V and idles @ 39*C...not worth it to me. Who said I was selling my cards and going ATI? I am an Nvidia Fanboy...lol.

I am waiting for Nvidia's next GPU before doing anything, although
    a Diamond Black Edition 4870 could make me cross the line! haha

Yeah when i stated i went to 3.6ghz not 100% stable yet is because i never allowed orthos to go longer then 30min as temps were really high.

I was using 1.40-1.43v in bios, CPU-Z said around 1.38-1.40v, but cause of cooling right now temps exceeded 75C on cores wowzer. The cores can take 95C-100C before they pop, but never, never does anyone want over 60C max on them and as soon as i seen 1 of them hit 75C and another hitting 73C i stopped program and backed OC down for now.

The idle was around 35C-38C, not bad ... ok in may cases, but i would like better, but 35C is still OK, but if pushing 40C idle that is not OK.

Nvidia fan boy ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Ati Fan boy ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Does not matter to me anymore as i looked who had the best cards out right now and i look at what is the next gen cards going to be, but no manufacturer has 100% stated what is up and coming in the next 3-6 months, so i bought a card now that is pretty darn close to the top dogs of both companies and i saved a lot of money doing so.

I believe the "Top Dogs" are...

ATI:
    3870X2

Nvidia:
    GTX280
    GTX260
    9800GX2
    9800GTX+

Yeah i agree with those above (Except more need to be added to ATI list) and the thing is all cards from noth companies are within comparison, except FPS in certain games and PRICE.

Ati though right now has a little more of a lead in FPS in games with the 4850 and 4870 cards. Keep in mind there is not that much difference in the 4870 and the 4850 card in FPS performance in many games.

The 4800 series either come close to Nvidia's 280 and 260 cards and in many games out perform them. It is price per performance like it was years ago is what it boils down to.

ATI also has the better image quality then Nvidia's cards. Nvidia has Physics drivers right now. ATI will soon have their physics driver done. Nvidia for the first tikme can do folding at home and a lot better then ATI right now, but soon ATI will correct that issue for the 4800 series.

Here is the ATI list updated, top dogs from ATI:

ATI:
    4870 OC version
    3870X2

Soon there will be the 4870X2 added to the list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ati though right now has a little more of a lead in FPS in games with the 4850 and 4870 cards. Keep in mind there is not that much difference in the 4870 and the 4850 card in FPS performance in many games. </div></div>

I disagree with you there...

The GTX 280 hammers any card out there, but is hammering people's wallets..lol.

I should have stated out performs the 280 when you have 2 x 4800 series cards = Price per performanne factor, when you CF the 4800 series cards they out beat the 280 .. but what price will it cost is what matters.

The 280 does in fact right now out perform in many games a 1 x 4800 series card, but not whomps them, but does out perform in FPS, drivers maybe and issue for ATI as they are in their infancy still.

The 4870X2 will beat the 280 nvidia card (well it should), but again by how much and what price.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information